OMG, Really?

Options
124»

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i agree with the whole this is america speak english thing!

but,honestly! you dont have to be all rude and stuff about it.
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i agree with the whole this is america speak english thing!

but,honestly! you dont have to be all rude and stuff about it.

Geographically speaking, 'America' is comprised of the Americas (North, South & Central), last time I checked, the predominant language in Central & South America is Spanish. 

Also, if you really want English only, then there will be a ton of names that will have to be changed since many of our states, cities, counties, streets, and so on, have Spanish names, i.e., California, Florida, Los Angeles, and so on... Also, our U.S. government is full of Latin terminology, for example, 'ignorantia juris non excusat' 

BTW- Louisiana is a French name.

Lastly, the English language derives mostly of German influence and is a relatively new language compared to ones that have existed for generations.

Sadly, we are a country that in its attempt to display Patriotism, has forgotten that we truly are a melting pot of multiple languages and cultures. I do not deny the need for uniformity in a common language for the handling of legal and business matters, but to impose a one language rule to its population is absurd and backward.  We are one of the very few countries where learning a second language is given little or no importance, when other countries strive towards learning English to communicate more effectively in business and government issues. 

By the way, I am not Latina, yet I am bilingual and I speak, read and write fluently in Spanish.  My husband has difficulty speaking in English NOT for lack of trying, he simply does not have the gift of language.  He and I speak Spanish in front of anyone, anywhere, anytime... I translate only if the situation applies, otherwise, those trying to be nosy can KMA. 
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm conflicted on this one, because I do think it's rude when nail techs gesture toward me while speaking a language I can't understand. Even if they speak to ME in English, I do wonder why they'd need to motion toward me and talk in another language about it.

I don't think I'm being paranoid about it because I see it happen every other day in my classroom. Kids who speak Spanish will talk badly about other kids right in front of them, not expecting anyone to be able to understand it (which is dumb, because we live in Texas for crying out loud.) They're basically gossiping rudely out in the open. I tell them that it is one thing to speak in Spanish when you do not feel confident speaking English (like a recent immigrant might be,) it is quite another to purposely exclude others from your conversation when you are perfectly capable of fluent English. Most of them have been fluently bilingual for years by the time they get to me. I know enough Spanish to repeat what they say back to them in English and embarrass the hell out of them for being mean. They usually don't try it again after that...

On the other hand, the customer lady just sounds like a ***** for the way she handled it.
  • amadacorazon
    Options
    One more thing, not everyone is adept or gifted at learning a second, or multiple, languages. Just like many high school graduates cannot compose a simple sentence even though their only language, English. Maybe they should go back to school to learn their language.
  • amadacorazon
    Options
    Some people are just rude regardless of which language they speak. I've faced it all, from both English and Spanish speaking individuals. I am sure that on occasion also from other languages I don't understand, but I know who I am, and what they say or think of me, is none of my concern. *shrug*
  • amadacorazon
    Options
    Oy! Typing on an iPhone after 2 in the morning = many typos & grammatical errors!

Best get some sleep! *yawn*
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm from India, speak 6 languages and I consider English to be my first language. Not only do I speak it most, its also the language I think and pray in. I have no Indian accent like the crap they show on TV and yet there have been people trying to be funny, who spoke to me in an accent they thought was Indian. Sometimes I got angry, but mostly I'd cringe inside because of their bad grammar!
    I've never understood people's intolerance of foreign languages in the US.
    The point is, no matter who you are and what you do, there will always be people who will be rude/mean for no good reason.
  • claudiacarmel
    claudiacarmel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is what I do believe......we can't control what others do, we may not like what others do, it stinks what others may do....what we can do is treat others with kindness, respect and understanding. One wonders what has happened to the aggressor for them to behave in this way????? ....I have been bullied my whole life and now I just let the bullies do their thing and I don't let their words or actions penetrate my shield, it's their own problem. They can say or think what they want to about me, it's their opinion, nothing more, means nothing to me. There's a lot of toxic, negativity in our world, I have to let it go. But no, it's not right.
  • biscuitking69
    biscuitking69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Aww. She was feeling left out of the conversation. Also, she's stupid.

Agreed.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,123 Member
    Options
    wow, I guess it happens everywhere....people take life too serious. The woman actually said she would pray for them when she got home, lol :noway:

No it doesn't. We don't do this kind of **** in Canada.

Except not the part of Canada I have lived in. Who knows about those weirdos on the East Coast :laugh:
    I've lived from coast to coast to coast in Canada and I'm afraid we do have that kind of intolerance. Luckily, these rude individuals are the exception, not the rule.