the mirror

Options
Did anyone ever look in the mirror and NOT realize how large they had become??!? I know it sounds hard for some to believe, but sometimes I get confronted with pictures, and think - I'm not THAT big, AM I?!! Am I the only one that's experienced this? I mean I know some people think they're Fatter than they are, has anyone not seen the "FULL" you? Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.....

Replies

• MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    When I look back at my pics from when I first started losing wt back in '04, I don't even recognize me. I remember the doctor asking me sarcastically if I like "a lot of sugary foods". That's what triggered my weight loss journey. I didn't realize how big I was.

I still pull those pics out from time to time and don't believe I didn't realize it. I was comfortable. I had a lot going on at the time and didn't really think about my weight.

Now, I have problems with looking in the mirror and not knowing if what I see is really "real"-- hard to explain.

Anyhow-- yes, I can relate to those feelings.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Yes... But mine is with pictures. I look at pictures from a few years ago and I hate it. I tried looking in the mirror but, I couldn't really see it. Until I saw the pictures. Now I can see it in the mirror. My problem now is, I have the tummy flab from having a baby. My legs are looking better, I'm getting my hips back, I'm losing the weight... just not my tummy flab... so it's kinda frustrating looking in the mirror these days. I see parts of what I like, and then I see my tummy.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just "saw" how big I was in pictures, but I don't always see it in the mirror. Maybe when you're looking at just your face, and avoid looking anywhere else, or something like that you just don't SEE it. When you're looking at pictures, you can't avoid it. I guess that's where the "turn a blind eye" phrase came from? You don't see something RIGHT in front of you!! keep wondering - how did I let myself get THIS big, but at least I'm working to whittle it down, inch by inch, and pound by pound.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It isn't your eyesight. I have the same problem. I never really thought I looked that bad "in the mirror" but a picture....YIKES!!!!:noway: :noway: When I see old ones, I find it hard to believe that I looked THAT bad, or that BIG.

This past weekend I had a friend take some pics on my cell phone of me in her Christmas-decorated living room with my three canine babies. Even with two of them on my lap, I can really see how much smaller I am.

Looking in the mirror, sans clothing, still reminds me I have a ways to go, but, when I put on a pair of size 24W pants and they fall off, it reminds me of how far I have come. ( I am now wearing misses size 16)

Good luck in your fitness journey!!:flowerforyou:
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It seems that everyone I know has that "problem". I kind of liken it to people who see their children everyday. We know they're getting bigger but its not as shocking as it is to those who don't see them so often. When I look in the mirror, I don't see myself as clearly as I do in photos. It was a photo that shocked me into trying to lose weight. That and my Dr. telling me I was "a Big Mac away from 200 lbs". :grumble:
  • kstefanski
    kstefanski Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I definitely didn't know how big I was. I knew I was big, but I always thought I looked good for being 200lbs. Looking back at pictures, I didn't look good :laugh:

Now, though, the mirror is even more malicious to me! I can't see the progress I've made. My friends and family always compliment me on my change, but when I step in front of the mirror, I don't see the 165lb me, I see the 200lb me still. I'm just hoping that changes!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was the only person who had this problem!! I would look in the mirror and think I looked pretty...not obese :( And I wondered why I couldn't get a date. When I look at myself now I see this skinny person with her collar bones showing...who is that?
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    For me it wasn't only me that didn't really see the big me. I have friends that look at my before picture and they don't remember me being that big, but then they do. It is really weird. I was in a 22 (pretty much a 24) and am now in a 14 pant. I look at the 22's now and I am surprised how big they look. I don't consciously remember them being that big, but they are. My 14's look so tiny in comparison. :laugh:
  • MROBERTSON
    MROBERTSON Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    no your not crazy...I just saw a pic of me at a party someone posted on face book and was shocked. I even said who's that .....until I realize it was me. That's when I decided to join this site hopefully I will lose 50 pounds by April.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The mirror never matches what I see in pictures. I've lost 85 pounds. When I look in the mirror now I see someone who is quite slim (and I feel slim) but when I see pictures of myself, I look the way I thought I looked 85 pounds ago and I still need to lose quite a lot of weight. I'm still overweight and want to lose 30-40 more pounds. What makes it harder is that when I see that slim person in the mirror it makes me believe that I don't have to watch my calories as closely anymore and then I end up on a binge. Honestly, there are days when I think I need to seek professional council. Especially this time of year!

I'm trying to find a balance to have a positive body image but not delude myself. And NO ONE around really understands it so I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds herself in some alternate reality from time to time.
  • loriguegel
    Options
    Wow! I definitely understand. I would also look in the mirror, and I'd see a pretty face and think I looked great. Then, I'd see a picture from that SAME DAY and BAM! I am just in shock and discust, I just can't believe that's how my body "really" looks or that's how big I really am. It just amazed me that I let myself go like that. Those pictures are really what gave me a big push to do it this time.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! Glad to hear it's not just me, and a little sad too - since we all got to where we are without truly being aware of it. I guess it's just nice to know I'm not alone! such a shocker when you look at the pictures (just had some printed) and I look bigger than I thought I was in all of them. even now, after losing some weight, it seems like I "look" heavier than I felt I really was. I don't know, some kind of denial that keeps you in the same cycle that says it's okay to have cookies for breakfast, as long as I don't do it everyday.... that was my OLD moderation.... really proud of how I've been doing, especially these last few weeks. :) Thanks for all the support!