I really need some advice!

June 9th my husband had part of his foot cut off, he is a diabetic, he wants to know what kind of cardio exercise he can do, with out putting pressure on that foot. He still can't get in the water so he can't swim. Please if anyone knows something that could help us that would be great, thank you

Replies

• farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Google "chair exercise"also look on youtube.com and search chair exercise. You can get a good workout based on your ability. I hope this helps!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Ouch! Praying all goes well.

What about a stationary bike? Or check out "youtube" for sit and be fit type things, they are usually all done sitting in a chair!

Blessings!! <><
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Honestly, I think the best thing he can do right now is take it easy and allow the foot to heal. Not much cardio that doesn't involve the feet. Healing is more important right now, exercise can wait.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    maybe ride a stationary bike?
  • Honestly, I think the best thing he can do right now is take it easy and allow the foot to heal. Not much cardio that doesn't involve the feet. Healing is more important right now, exercise can wait.

I agree, heal first exercise later. Exercise is great for the blood flow, but if he can't put any pressure on it, don't even bother trying. Stationary bike is probably the least amount of pressure that's still considered cardio (even though I barely get my heart rate up). Give it time, once he's healed, then work on the cardio. (=
  • Hcrowder81
    Hcrowder81 Posts: 15 Member
    Google non weight bearing exercises and look for things that will elevate the heart rate and that he would be able to do. Cycling, stationary bikes and most upper body workouts should be okay. Hope all goes well and hope this helps!!!
  • Seems like his doctor would have some ideas. You really need to hook up a physical therapist. Your doctor should be able to refer you to one and your medical insurance could also recommend one, as well.

I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the your husband's situation scares the Hell out of me. Best of luck to the both of you.
  • If he has access to a gym, he could try the arm bike. I have been using it since I have injured my knee. It is cardio equipment that is just like a bike but for your arms.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    June 9th my husband had part of his foot cut off, he is a diabetic, he wants to know what kind of cardio exercise he can do, with out putting pressure on that foot. He still can't get in the water so he can't swim. Please if anyone knows something that could help us that would be great, thank you
    You know, I was just dealing with a foot injury...
    tendonitis on the top of my right foot...very painful, and swollen right at my toes.
    I could hardly walk.
    But I could get on a bike!
    And that surprised me.
    So I have been using the incline bike at the gym,
    And my mountain bike at home.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Coming from a diabetes-plagued family, I can honestly tell you that it's NOT about the exercise.....intake is 99% the culprit.
    Leg-lifts, weight lifting, even chair cardio will not do a fraction of the benefits that low(er) carb, no fast-food/cokes can produce.

I see it everyday....prayers out to you and your hubs. Such a tragic situation. Help it stop here. Fresh everything. Lots of water and fiber.

All my best.

SO SORRY, I just re-read your question and should not have twisted it out of context.....
    My uncle lost his leg to diabetes last year and found a great deal of energy raising/swinging his arms overhead and then back behind his back 3 - 4 times a day of 50 reps. He said it helped open his chest and lungs and made breathing easier too.

:flowerforyou:
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    I'm not a doctor, and I would agree to talk to his doctor as well as heal! After he heals most of the way maybe he could sit in a chair and do hard punches, windmills, and body crosses. Once he does them for a while his heart rate will go up and allow him some good "cardio". Also...There are these bike pedal things that you can buy to use while you're sitting in a chair.. You could look into those, but it does involve the legs/feet more. Theres an exercise he could do where he basically pulls his back in, sucks his stomach in (tightening the abs) and just moves side to side, as far down and as fast as he can handle. It'll help his abs and his sides and offer some cardio..
  • If he has access to a gym, he could try the arm bike. I have been using it since I have injured my knee. It is cardio equipment that is just like a bike but for your arms.

I was going to suggest this - I don't know if they have one at all gyms, but they had one at my physical therapist back when I was in PT and you can get your heart rate going with that arm bike.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery - so sorry for what your husband is going through!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    I know he's got to be hurting, one thing he could try is leg lifts while in bed...while in a chair do things with his arms. Lift some weights use some bands keep moving...Good Luck
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    If he has access to a gym, he could try the arm bike. I have been using it since I have injured my knee. It is cardio equipment that is just like a bike but for your arms.

I was going to suggest this - I don't know if they have one at all gyms, but they had one at my physical therapist back when I was in PT and you can get your heart rate going with that arm bike.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery - so sorry for what your husband is going through!

this. when i had knee trouble i used the arm bike at pt. it is a better workout than people think. good luck!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    I have nothing to add that hasn't been suggested, but I want to say my thoughts are with you both. I lost my dad to T2 Diabetes. He just didn't want to change. You are awesome for trying to get him some suggestions!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Thank you all for your advice. We were at the doctors today and there is one layer of skin over the wound now, the Doc said NO exercise that will involve using that foot.
    Thank you all again, you have been awesome and helpful
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    :)