How to Recover from Setbacks

Options
Hello, I rarely post on these forums but thought maybe someone would have some tips to share! I've been doing really good with my diet and exercise since January 1 but recently have had some stressful/emotional things happening in my life and I'm getting off track. I find myself mostly making poor food decisions, where I used to be so strict about my diet. I still get comments from people asking if I've lost weight which makes me feel good, but at the same time it just doesn't seem to be enough to keep me motivated at this time. I don't want to go back to the girl I was before January. My weight has yo-yo'd so much over the years and I don't want to fall back into the same vicious cycle. I'd still like to drop another 10-15 lbs and meet my goal weight, but I feel like I'm in a rut and don't know how to get out of it.

How do you keep motivated and moving forward?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to write down all the things you like better about who you are now than "the girl you were before January".

As silly as it sounds, just putting your goals in writing and referring to them often can be quite helpful in keeping you on track.

Maybe it's also time to check out the Recipes section so you have some different foods in your healthy rotation. Or join one of the exercise challenge groups to either keep you on track or get you excited about a new type of exercise.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The best thing is
    1) remember why you started this journey and how far you've come since then.
    2) look at your old pictures and see what you don't want to go back to
    3) lean on your friends both in your everyday life and the ones on here, its what they are here for
    4) its easy to keep slipping down that slope because we feel well might as well. Setbacks happen, its just a part of the journey we don't get it perfect every time. It doesn't mean you fail, you only fail when you quit, throw in the towel and walk away. Life is stressful enough without worrying about getting this perfect all the time.

So breathe because your just fine. Decide you will do it and do it.....NO EXCUSES!
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am struggling with this as well. I just don't feel motivated and it is hard to will myself to get back on track.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I need to post more often. Its nice knowing I'm not the only one having these problems. :-)

Maybe I do need to try putting something in writing and reflecting on the past in order to keep moving forward. Weight loss is definitely a slippery slope. I know we all make poor choice sometimes, but just need to learn how to recover from it instead of continuing on a downward path. Easier said than done! For me personally I will slip a little, then slip a little more.....and the scale won't budge.....so I slip a little more....and in the end it all catches up with you. I do NOT want to fall into that trap again.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Setbacks happen, its just a part of the journey we don't get it perfect every time. It doesn't mean you fail, you only fail when you quit, throw in the towel and walk away. Life is stressful enough without worrying about getting this perfect all the time.

I think this is enough to keep me motivated!! :-) I will NOT throw the towel in!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I learned to close the world around me. Your the most important person in your life. When you stop believing that you lose control and bad choices follow. Everyone lives there own life you do too.