BMR=total calorie intake?

Options
Ok, So my BMR is higher than my calorie intake goal, should I raise my goal to match my BMR? Or should I leave my goal where it is? ITs the goal MFP helped me set, but I hadn't calulated my BMR... ??? I'm just now starting to try to lose weight, so I don't know much, and any advise on anything would be great! Thank you :)

Replies

• Esther50
    Options
    Bump
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I agree.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Please, for your sake and a more realistic approach towards your goals, try to read up on various links provided here that explain nutrition and how it correlates to optimal fat loss, not just weight loss. Don't adjust caloric intake and exercise habits without comprehending the basics first.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are no scientific studies that suggest eating below your bmr is bad but common sense says if you eat below it, your metabolism with adapt and history has told me, that you increase the chances of muscle loss. My suggestion, would be gonless aggressive on your per week weight loss. In the grand scheme of things most people can sustain more than a 1 lb per week weight loss anyways, so set it at 1 lb per week and eat back 50% of your exercise calories. Fuel the body to get stronger and more effecient.
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    More details, please. Are you just trying to cut what you eat, or are you exercising, too?

In a rudimentary sense, weight loss = (how much you consume) - (how much you exercise) - (BMR). If that number is negative, then you will lose weight. However, it's not smart to starve yourself (aka be too calorie deficient), nor is it smart to eat bon bons during the day and stop once you hit your target calorie deficiency. Diet is equally, if not more, important than exercise for the sake of burning calories. Here are some secrets to my success thus far:

-Avoid *bad* sugars and processed food. Sugars from fruit are good, but sugar in a can of soda is not. Also, avoid high fructose corn syrup, found in a ton of processed foods these days.
    -Eat several small meals a day, to include breakfast
    -Do not crash diet. It truly takes time to lose weight healthily. I net about minus 800-1000 calories per day, and I've lost around 2-3 pounds per week.
    -Wear a heart rate monitor exclusively when you work out. It's quite accurate regarding how many calories you burn.
    -Buy a scale. For your food! Often times, people overestimate their servings. You'll be surprised of the size of your portions when you start weighing them out.

Lastly, if you want to truly calculate your BMR, you might try buying a heart rate monitor, and wearing it for 24 hours.
  • lancesmommy2012
    Options
    See, I logged what I would normally eat for a few days, just to see how different it would be, and it was around 150-200 calories over what my goal is, and like 400 below my BMR..??
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    See, I logged what I would normally eat for a few days, just to see how different it would be, and it was around 150-200 calories over what my goal is, and like 400 below my BMR..??

And that may work short term but over time your body will adapt and it will become harder. Also, why would you want to eat below your bmr if you can still eat above and lose weight. And considering weight loss isnt linear, a larger calorie deficit does not always equal more weight loss; thence, the plateau.