Hypothyroidism

Options
I have it. Have had it for years. (Diagnosed at 7)

So far I have found out that white rice (Asian here) is extremely detrimental, I seem to do well with wheat as compared to any form of rice (brown rice included). I avoid green tea due to the amount of fluoride it has.
I have always had a problem with my calcium levels- I have found out that having an ounce of full fat cheese once every two days seems to help- my calcium levels have never been higher. Milk doesn't seem to help, nor do the calcium supplements.

What are your tips to loose weight with this 'disease'? Do you have any mineral deficiencies? How do you overcome them?

Replies

• JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone... I have had this for over 10 years and it is rough. I have found that I can't lose weight at all no matter how clean I eat. The ONLY way for me to lose weight is to eat clean and work out. I take some supplements that my chiropractor gave me (sold me) but I don't really notice a difference.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Take the meds your doc prescribes. Get thyroid levels checked at least once a year. Have a calorie deficit like a normal person.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 14 (15 years ago!) and as long as my dose is managed (currently 200mcg) I have no problem with my weight. I actually feel the best I've felt in years, since cutting back on processed foods.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    That gives me hope for returning back to the weight I was. I was only diagnosed about 3 months ago and I haven't felt a great change in being on the meds, even though apparently it's now in healthy levels. I certainly haven't been able to start shifting any of the 10 kgs it has made me gain. The worst part is the medication makes me short of breath, so my running has suffered majorly. Has anyone else had this? I've just started on a different brand to see if it's any better. Here's hoping...
  • ferb03
    Options
    I have never heard of thyroid meds making anyone short of breath. Are you sure there isn't something else going on?
  • Sly_Blue
    Options
    Try getting your GP to change your meds.

I got my meds changed in May and the dizziness/shortness of breath lasted for a week as I was getting used to the meds. After that has been amazing.

Used to be on thyroxin and now on levothyroxin.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If you Google possible side effects for levothyroxine (which I'm on) it's listed there as one of them. It got worse when I upped my meds too. My brother has noticed it too, he also has hypothyroidism.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If you're taking your medication as you should, you shouldn't have any issue losing weight. Maybe just a bit slower than someone whose thyroid is perfectly functioning, but that's about it. I have a hard time with not having much of an appetite though. Not really knowing when I'm hungry and when I'm not.
  • Sly_Blue
    Options
    Hmm, change the meds.

Sinthyroid was fairly ok- however it 'stopped' being absorbed by my body.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and always had difficulty with cardio, but since I started walking everyday it rarely ever bothers me, usually just in cold weather. I can even run, something I could never do without my asthma acting up. I take synthroid and I don't feel there's any correlation between it and my asthma, especially since I'm on a high dose now and my asthma's the best it's ever been.
  • Sly_Blue
    Options
    I find cardio fine. I was doing 30 mins of HIIT and didn't die.

It would have been impossible in my first week of changing meds, but the rest is fine. Maybe you should up the meds slowly and steadily. This is just my opinion, and get a GP to sort it out for you.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. It has not stopped me from losing weight. My doctor prescribes a bio-identical thyroid prescription and it ended up not being a magic pill for me. I finally had to accept the fact that I needed to eat less to lose weight.

eat less to lose weight
    exercise (especially weight training) to keep or maintain muscle mass

Once separated the two and ate less to lose it worked, I let go of the low thyroid excuse.
  • schelli226
    Options
    Shortness of breath is a also a symptom of hypothyroidism that isn't managed well. it is due to the accumlation of fluids in the body making it difficult to breathe. As you body adjusts this should go away.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I gained a great deal of weight when my thyroid quit working, but I lost it after taking meds. I wouldnt blame my recent weight gain on my thyroid, but I've lost approx. 20 pounds since March. Seems slow to me, but not certain that is due to my thyroid. I exercise everyday and eat fairly well (not all clean foods), but try to be mainly fresh or frozen.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I refuse to take Synthroid or anything T4-only. Wretched stuff. I'm currently on dessicated thyroid, 180mg a day. I can honestly say that I'm quite functional. Weight is always special because of edema. However, that's a twisted tale of diuretics and potassium and a bunch of other stuff. Bottom line: I would tell anyone to give dessicated a try, especially if Synthroid is making you worse.

As an interesting side note, I'll be trying grapeseed extract soon for the edema. I hear really good things.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Others may not agree..but I have hypothyroid and I have been on a 1,000 daily calorie intake for a year. I have not had any medical problems or anything else. And I feel fine. No..I am NOT starving myself. I have tried the 1200 or 1500 cal intake..I was frustrated because I didn't lose any weight..

I finally found something that works for me. I discussed it with my doctor...so everything is all good and in working order.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Take the meds your doc prescribes. Get thyroid levels checked at least once a year. Have a calorie deficit like a normal person.

HA! If it were only that easy w/thyroid issues lol
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Taking a daily tablespoon of coconut oil has been known to help those with your condition. Take your meds, get your levels checked regularly, and keep on going with your diet and exercise.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You have to be willing to do 2x the work to get the same results as someone without hypothyroidism. If you can get past the "unfairness" of it all and work your butt off, you will succeed.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

HA! If it were only that easy w/thyroid issues lol

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking... Pretty asinine. Oh, and I'm REALLY not trying to be rude, but you really think they only check them once a year? :laugh: