Portions of food

Options
2»

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I've always been confused about this but I'm assuming that the measurement on pasta is based on the dry amount? Am I right? I always worry about eating too much or too little as that part of the labeling process is confusing. I've found some that state (dry) which help but you don't always see that.

Generally, yes, you'd weigh it dry, unless the package is giving you a calorie count for "as prepared" or "after cooking".
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale constantly, yes. It's the most accurate way to measure everything but liquids.
  • LynnKirchhoff
    LynnKirchhoff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Measuring is KEY. I know a man who has lost 205 lbs! He started his diet at 410 and just celebrated losing half of himself. He has said time and again, "I am a food measure Nazi!" Of all the things he's done, from logging food, exercising more, eating healthier....he says the KEY thing for him was weighing and measuring all of his food. Portion distortion is epidemic in this country, ESPECIALLY when eating out!
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i measured everything in the beginning because i had no clue what a cup of anything looked like. now i rarely measure because im used to the portions. i will measure pasta and rice though.. i have a tendency to want to go overboard if i dont. our minds love tricking us into believing its not that much