Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why should i exercise?

2»

Replies

• Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    I think exercise of almost any kind is exhilarating. combining exercising with calorie crunching compounds the exhilarating feeling of doing something, of being in control or at least the illusion there of.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I do not exercise so I can be skinny, I exercise because it makes me healthier, which means I will be around longer to help the people that I love and love me back.

I am in my mid 40s. I have copd as well as genetically high cholesterol. Running helps with my lung function AND my cholesterol issues.

And the endorphins I get from working out are way better than what I ever got in a bottle of vodka. My skin looks way better and I just feel amazing over all.

There is a reason the NFL started the Play 60 program for kids. When did our generation become so lazy?
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    From what i understand you lose weight from a calorie deficit. Have a 1,000 kcal deficit a day and you will lose weight.

When i exercise, i have to actually eat back the calories i lose .

Now, i know exercising is good from a health point of view, but from a strict "losing weight" point of view, what exercising actually does?

Just need someone to explain it to me, im sure theres something there..

Thank you.

If you only get your deficit from what you're eating (or not eating) you could very likely end up eating your muscles too. So instead of being slim and fit looking you could look like someone who is ill.

I'm not completely sure about this part but, I believe exercising is the only way you can lose your visceral fat, this is the fat around your internal organs. This is really bad stuff, so you generally don't want too much.

Also, you don't have to eat back all of the expended calories.

Forgot to mention, strength training preserves muscles.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    i do cardio so i can have beer.

Good man
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i walk for pie

dude, you need to run for pie.
  • I have reached the weight I was when I first met my fiancé however I'm a size smaller in clothes because I am more toned, its not all about the scale numbers I have found, plus it has helped me push myself further in many aspects as its such a feel good mood enhancer!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    i walk for pie

dude, you need to run for pie.

*titter*
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    If i just lost weight i'd have lots of loose skin, where as because I exercise aswel I have toned and kept the elasticity of my skin.

I also exercise to make my inside healthy (ie. Heart / Lungs and reduce visceral fat) my starting resting heart rate was about 86 bpm its now 56 bpm.
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    I've officially been on MFP for around 45 days now and I've lost just over 8lbs. During that time I've been keeping a detailed log each day of my calorie deficits and my calorie burns from exercise on an offline spreadsheet.

What I've discovered is that about a THIRD of my calorie deficit is as a result of exercise. Without it I would literally have only lost around 5lbs in 45 days rather than over half a stone. That makes a huge difference to me! And so far I am absolutely losing a pound for every 3,500 calories I cut down on, and I think the exercise has helped keep my metabolism at a healthy level whilst I'm on a relatively low calorie diet.

Aside from all the physiological benefits of exercise, you will not initially notice just how far it will aid you when it comes to creating a greater yet healthier calorie deficit, but I would say that you should give it a go trying to incorporate it into your daily routine. It will be a great investment for your body somewhere down the line.
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Exercise is fantastic, it has the ability to make you feel great, shape your body, and a great way to make new friends. Maintaining a diet of 1000 calories will potentially lead to frustration, and deprivation which may result in binge eating and weight gain.

In my opinion the weight loss journey is all about finding a balance between what you enjoy and "enjoying living".
  • i do cardio so i can have beer.

Lol ;-)

The feeling you feel after you exercise is incredible...a sense of accomplishment.....After I run or do kickboxing I get this "runner's high", its incredible.......sure you can lose weight just watching what your eating, but you can't argue the benefits of incorporating exercise into your daily routine.......plus the more and more days you do it, it'll become more of a habit, and you'll actually look forward to it

All the best to you!:smile:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    never thought I would enjoy exercise the way I do. And I especially never thought that I would run ever, but I do and I love the way it makes me and my body feel. Now I miss it when I don't have it in my life. It is so good for your heart and makes you feel awesome!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Exercise has made me feel amazing. I've lost weight in the past by just having a calorie deficit, but I didn't feel much better, physically, having lost the weight. Since starting exercise, I'm no longer gasping for breath while walking up hills, and I don't have to stop and rest while I'm out walking.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Exercising:

Improves your bodys ability to break down fat as a fuel source, even at rest

Builds muscle which increases your resting metabolic rate

Improves your blood pressure by causing adaptation of blood vessels to help open them up

makes you feel good.

There are lots of others, but i'll just list a few. :)

Muscle burns about 3 times more calories than fat when you are at rest.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    45 days here - 16 lbs lost so far - my calorie deficit due to exercise is huge. Without it I could not lose the weight. Secondly, by building up muscle I hope to stave off metabolic slow down due to muscle loss along the way. Third I like becoming a beast - in 45 days I went from running 5K to 13K (slow as snot on a cold day) and my bike riding has improved too. I like the new feel of a stronger tighter body.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    From purely a weight loss stand point you do not need to exercise. Weight is lost in the kitchen not in the gym.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Exercise = a pert *kitten* instead of a saggy *kitten*, toned arms instead of bingo wings, flat stomach instead of a pudgy one with loose skin, toned legs instead of flabby legs.... more compliments, better health
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    to try to make it simple, you have a certain number of calories that you burn every day just doing normal stuff. For me that magical number is 1594 calories. If i eat 1594 calories, i will not gain or lose any weight. Because I want to lose weight, as long as I eat UNDER that, i am good, and i will lose weight. I am advised (by a physician and this web site as well) not to go under 1200 caliories because then I risk putting my body into starvation mode (where i would actually store more fat, and lost more muscle), When I excercise, I burn calories, and need to make up those calories back to 1200. So if I burn 300 calories, I actually have to eat 1500 calories in a day, to keep from starving my body. And that is consistenly. I regularly go under my goal, but not by too much. Now, when you think in terms of percentages, and weight loss, on the surface, its about an 80/20 split. 80 percent is diet, while 20 percent is excercise. HOWEVER, only with excercice, will you be able to increase your lean muscle mass, Excercising while losing weight helps get rid of fat cells, instead of just "flattening" them which is what happens when you diet only. And the best part? the more muscle you build, the more calories are burned just by you sitting there, which means you have more choices and can eat more variety of food wtihout worrying so much about how many calories your eating.