Frustrated!

Options
I have been eating my calories recommended all week. I've worked out everyday doing anything from body pump, zumba, turbo kick, or the elliptical. I've felt really good about the week. Im down no weight! Why? Help!

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    in a week? really.

This is the problem with most humans.... we all want immediate gratification. Why is it you think just because you've eaten right and exercised for a week (wow a whole 7 days) that you should see awesome results??

take a chill pill. This stuff takes time. I'm pretty sure you didn't put on the weight you want to lose in a week, two or even 6. So just be patient and stick with it.
  • Amanda750
    Amanda750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The reason I usually don't post on here is because of people that feel it is necessary to put down people. I have been doing this for a month. I have changed up what I have been doing this past week to try to push through this plateau but its not working. I was looking for advice not someone to put me down thanks!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration but unless you've been doing what you have been doing for a few weeks, I'd relax and see what happens. The scale isn't the most accurate way to measure fat loss, it is just the most convenient. And if you are closer to goal then changes take even longer.
  • Lilmisscutestuff
    Options
    The reason I usually don't post on here is because of people that feel it is necessary to put down people. I have been doing this for a month. I have changed up what I have been doing this past week to try to push through this plateau but its not working. I was looking for advice not someone to put me down thanks!
    Totally agree with this! I'm the same as you, iv been working hard for 3 months but the last 2 weeks havnt lost anything even tho I'm doing insanity! Maybe your calorie intake is too low? Iv just upped mine by 200 to see if this helps :)
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    definitely keep track of your progress with a measuring tape. i lose inches and not pounds sometimes. I hope that helps.
  • Lilmisscutestuff
    Options
    I understand the frustration but unless you've been doing what you have been doing for a few weeks, I'd relax and see what happens. The scale isn't the most accurate way to measure fat loss, it is just the most convenient. And if you are closer to goal then changes take even longer.
    Oh this aswell! Try measuring yourself as you will probably find that you are losing inches :)
  • TibiStalker
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find that really helps me - not only because I feel less hungry, but it seems to speed up the weight loss. No that any day do I manage the 8 glasses recommended, but I do my best!
  • kchaney2003
    kchaney2003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration! I keep my measurements so that I have some satisfaction when the weight is not moving at all :flowerforyou:

Keep up the good work and I am sure you will get there.
  • Amanda750
    Amanda750 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts... I'm going to up my calories and try that and see if anything changes. I drink tons of water. I don't drink soda or anything. I still have a lot to lose! Lets hope this week budges just a little! :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask two questions...

Do you have a HRM?
    Do you have a food scale?

These two things CHANGED MY LIFE. I was WAY overestimating calories burned, and WAY underestimating food intake. Combine these two and that was my recipe for disaster. They both help you get a more accurate measurement of what's going in and what's coming out.

Also, if you make changes to your plan, you've gotta give them a month to settle in. Changes don't affect you overnight - just like the weight didn't come on overnight. Just be patient and keep plugging away. Listen to your body and if you're hurting, have a rest. Make the exercise you do fun, so that you don't dread it. Enjoy your food. Eat the things you like in moderation and make sure you cover all your vitamins/macros in the day.

And lastly, it's not easy. If it was easy, we'd all be at our ideal weight all the time!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. I suggest you open it up if you want advice.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    one of the main reasons for no loss in weight (for a 2-3 week period) is usually miscalculating your input and output of calories.

if you are eating back your exercise calories, make sure you are properly estimating how many calories you are burning.

do not use the numbers given by MFP...they are whacky high compared to reality.

make sure your activity level is set correctly.

make the investment to have your bodyfat tested by a professional.

weight fluctuations will drive you insane. it isnt your total weight that is important, it is your body fat percentage.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have been eating my calories recommended all week. I've worked out everyday doing anything from body pump, zumba, turbo kick, or the elliptical. I've felt really good about the week. Im down no weight! Why? Help!

Try to take your measurements to see if you've lost inches. Whenever I get down in the dumps over a no weight loss week I look at all of my activity that week and take my measurements. Chances are you've lost fat and gained muscle. Remember a pound is a pound is a pound no matter what form but fat takes up more space than muscle does so if the scale doesn't move it doesn't mean you didn't lose any fat. How are you clothes fitting you now? Are you finding you have a little more room or those pants are not as tight as they used to be? Whatever you do don't give up. That scale will start to move again you'll see. :happy:
  • Culley34
    Options
    Try switching it up - maybe some running or spinning?
    Are you drinking enough water?
    Did you just start?

I find that I lose in bulk - so the scale needle will stay at one place for a while and then when I check again a few weeks later -- I'll see a change (versus checking daily).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

What she said was right though, I don't think is trying to put you down, it's just honest advice.

One of the biggest mistakes people make on here is ditching a plan that has ween working for them up until then because they don't get a loss over a few days or a week.

You don't need to 'shock your body' or 'kickstart your metabolism' you just need to keep going. Weights will stall and fluctuate, more so when you get leaner. Don't over react, keep doing what you have been doing, 1 week is not a plateu.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    one of the main reasons for no loss in weight (for a 2-3 week period) is usually miscalculating your input and output of calories.

if you are eating back your exercise calories, make sure you are properly estimating how many calories you are burning.

do not use the numbers given by MFP...they are whacky high compared to reality.

make sure your activity level is set correctly.

make the investment to have your bodyfat tested by a professional.

weight fluctuations will drive you insane. it isnt your total weight that is important, it is your body fat percentage.

This, This and THIS.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are going to ask for help, you should open your diary.

Your post DID say you've been doing right "all week" which gets people a little excited because it does take time and patience. If you've been at it for a month, that's great, but, aggressive as some people may have been, they were responding to what you said.

edited to add: your post shows that you started MFP this month (which is 9 days max) were you strictly counting calories before that? if not, I would consider when you started logging to be the real start.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to the boards and more importantly congrats on you choice to live a healthier life. When you make changes to you diet and exercise routine it can take awhile for your hormones/metabolism to catch up with your new life. Please be patient with ourself. There are a few things to look at in the long run ---

Is your calorie target set up properly?
    Here is a good link to help you find all those numbers - BMR TDEE how big a cut etc. MFP will give you some wonky numbers if you have set your weekly loss goal too high for how much you have to lose. If you follow the link and need some help PM me and I will help you check your numbers.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Is your sodium intake high - it will cause water retenntion
    Are you drinking enough water - It helps to flush out water weight retained if your sodium intake is high.
    Are your close to your TOM?
    Did you just up your exercise duration/intensity? It can cause a temporary water/weight gain as your muscles recovery form the new level of intensity.

Most people will tell you that the scale is not your friend - track your measurements and look at you body fat % they will be more consistent. Measure your progress by how well you feel, how strong you are, how your stamina/endurance has improved, how your cloths fit. They are all a better measure of how healthy you are when compared to the number on the scale!

Be patient - it will happen.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Ive been on a lot of forums over the years and I gotta tell ya...THIS forum is probably the single most judgmental forum that Ive ever come across. As a disclaimer of sorts.......it is also one of the most supportive- you just gotta find the right people. Im surprised new people ever get the courage to post. I dont understand the snotty rude judgmental responses Ive seen here. We're all here for like minded reasons, there's no reason for the sniping judgmental responses.

OP.....stand strong, you're doing a great job. GOOD LUCK
  • timax52
    Options
    I am having the same problem, just stick with it and be true to yourself...things will happen