My Transformation Story - 5 Years in the Making

blonde71
blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
I really hesitated sharing this story on the forums because I didn't want people to think I was bragging or whatever. I initially shared this with my just my friends on the feed. But I'm proud of my success and maybe it will inspire others when they read my little story.

I was never overweight but rather out-of-shape. From the ages of 15-35, I was about 30% body fat. I'm 5'6" and my weight during that time period fluctuated roughly between 110-125 lbs. I was a so-so eater and sporadic exerciser. I relied mostly on bouts of steady-state cardio and calorie deficts to keep my weight in check. I wore a size 8-10 dress during that time frame. Again, not necessarily overweight but in a bathing suit, you could clearly see I was frumpy and not fit.

Fast forward to 2007 and I went through a rough time with an ailing parent. That was my wake-up call. It was now or never to get into shape once and for all. I was confused at first. How would I do this as a SAHM who was fast approaching 40? I had no gym membership, trainer or knowledge of what it took to get fit. I started with some DVDs and did mainly cardio for the next four years. I reduced my body fat to 25% by moving a little and eating slightly better. Yet minimal progress at best. My weight still was in the range mentioned above and my dress size was now a 6.

At the beginning of last summer, I went full-throttle with exercise. 40 was around the corner and I was bound and determined to see my abs come hell or high water. The easiest thing I could think to do was start running. I'd always been an endurance junkie when I did exercise previously so I bought myself some running shoes and started. I was running about 15-20 miles weekly and actually quite good at it. But I was severely limiting my calories. By the end of last summer, I was 110 lbs - down from 125 and very weak, dizzy and sick most of the time. I could see my abs but at what cost? Something had to change.

August 2011 was when the word "weight training" was thrown my way more than once by multiple people. I was skeptical not because I thought I'd "bulk up" but because I thought I was too old. I was 39 years old at this point and felt weight training was for someone much younger than me. Plus, I had absolutely no idea where to even begin. Someone pointed me in the direction of NROL4W and I owe them a debt of gratitude because the book LITERALLY changed my life.

It took me 8 months to complete the program, at home and without a trainer. I felt such a sense of accomplishment. I also was bulking at this point to put some weight on. I have continued with the weight training and recently stopped bulking. I now weigh ~129 lbs, my body fat is below 20% and I am a size 2. I have lost body fat, gained ~19 lbs and experienced nice body recomp. I NEVER had a womanly figure (always boyish) but now I feel I do. I'm eating more healthy now. I feel so much better about myself; strong and fit. I will be 41 in November and I can honestly say I'm in the best shape of my life. My profile pic was taken about 2 weeks ago so that's pretty much what I look like.

And that's my story. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell it. :bigsmile:

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Congratulations! I love your transformation. I am glad you decided to share with us. I learned a lot from your story.
    You can really see a lot of strength in your body. :flowerforyou:
  • Great transformation, love the story :flowerforyou:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Awesome story T, thanks for sharing. I hope you inspire someone. Maybe one day I'll share my story on here as well when I'm happy enough with my progress.
  • Awesome story T, thanks for sharing. I hope you inspire someone. Maybe one day I'll share my story on here as well when I'm happy enough with my progress.

I agree, Great, inspiring story!

:smile:
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Thanks for sharing our story! You look great. It always helps to know what is possible if we just do things to take care of ourselves. Wishing you continued success.
  • mommaLars
    mommaLars Posts: 6 Member
    what is NROL4W?
  • blonde71
    what is NROL4W?

New Rules of Lifting for Women - it's a weight training book. Sorry, I'd assumed most people knew what that abbreviation was for.
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks for sharing! I have just begun to throw weight training in the mix after stalling for months...
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,796 Member
    Toni,
    You are such an inspiration...you make me want to push hard to reach my goals. I loved reading this :):heart:
  • blonde71
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I was so afraid of posting as I didn't want people thinking I was bragging but I was worried for nothing. Such supportive and kind comments. <3
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Great job, Toni!! You are amazing!!!
  • I actually just purchased that book today!! Great motivation to see someone with such good results. I have a lot more weight to lose, but I hope that my journey will be a success story!
  • Great story! You look wonderful!!
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    I feel nice after reading this - especially because I am about to start some light weiughts soon
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Girl, you are such a Stud and I luv ya!! Thanks for sharing hawt Bish!!!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Thank you for sharing your story! I am at a similar position to where you were at one point - scrawny but out of shape/higher body fat percentage. I'm going to start doing weight training in a couple weeks once I get access to the university gym again. Can't wait! It's really motivating to hear success stories like this :)
  • blonde71
    Just to reiterate, the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a book. I've had some people message me because they weren't sure if it was a book or not. You can check it out at the library but I bought mine at the bookstore. It's a full-body program that you do three days a week and it has seven stages within the program. It usually takes between 6-8 months to complete. I can't say enough good things about it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!