Protein powder????

Options
I just bought some protein powder today and I was wondering if anyone else uses it. I am down alot of weight and now only have 18 lbs to lose but I want to gain muscle and have been working really hard at the gym on that but I have heard you should have protein shakes at least once a day. Thanks and if anyone else know some other ideas on building muscle and things of that sort please let me know, Courtney

Replies

• athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just bought some protein powder today and I was wondering if anyone else uses it. I am down alot of weight and now only have 18 lbs to lose but I want to gain muscle and have been working really hard at the gym on that but I have heard you should have protein shakes at least once a day. Thanks and if anyone else know some other ideas on building muscle and things of that sort please let me know, Courtney
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    idk it usually makes you build a lot of muscle because usually guys take it. and my boyfriends really thin and he takes it to gain weight. thats what protein powder does is make you gain weight. Look at the container it usually says that you can gain like 14 pounds in 30 days or something like that.
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well I really wouldnt care if I gain muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. I dont see on there anything about gaining weight, the manager at Vitamin World told me no you wont gain "fat"weight taking this. I only have 1 scoop a day at 150 cal, so its not alot when you compare you workout to burn that. I would rather weigh alot and look good and not flabby than weigh very little and be jiggly. Ya know.
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    Idk i just know guys that take it top gain weight and bulk up but if thats what you want then id see anything wrong with it!!!
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Talk about ironic!! I just purchased protein powder yesterday at GNC. I am on an EXTREMELY complicated diet. I can only have 50 grams of carbohydrates a day and 1500 calories, all while keeping my fat intake low as well. In trying to keep the carbs low I found that I was having trouble meeting the 1500 calorie mark and then someone suggested protein powder. I went in to GNC and talked with the sales rep (who by the way was VERY helpful and not pushing a sale at all) who helped me understand the products. He said in my situation the protein powder was the way to go and would be helpful when I started to add weights into my program. Right now I need to add only calories(but not a lot) and I honestly just can't eat anymore than I already do. He also said that at this point (which I figure is where you are) if I had been weight training he would recommend the powders that say "gainer" on them. He said to stay away from the Muscle Milk as it contains a lot of fat and that if you are going to use the protein bars remember that one bar IS your meal. Congrats on losing the weight you did, that's fantastic. Don't get discouraged either, they say those last "few" are the hardest. FYI.. I chose the GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein. It has 110 cal, 1.5 g of fat, 20g of protein and only 4g of carbs. :bigsmile:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes.
    Sometimes I count it as a small meal, and sometimes I drink it as a snack. It will fill me up for about 4 hours and I know that I didn't splurge on something that will damage my diet. So I really like them.
    But I do know that if they're overdone, it can cause weight gain. You just can't add it to your meals.