Severe Stomach pain - any ideas? (Granny smith?)

Options
Just curious. I am trying to figure this out and I am sure someone has some input. I normally eat a large salad for lunch, though yesterday I did something a little different, I added a granny smith apple (normally I put in fugi), and I also put in Green Peppers. I normally use red, yellow, orange sweet bell.

could either of these, the granny smith, and or the green pepper, be the cause of severe stomach pain nearly 24 hours later?

I noticed it late last night, and it's at the point now where I can't leave my chair. I've had similar issues with raw broccoli - and read that this is due to inflammation in the intestines due us not being able to digest the cell wall of broccoli - since have started steaming it, and no problems with it since.

I seem to remember green peppers can cause some discomfort (raw) -but I don't like granny smiths as a rule (someone gave me some so I had them to use and thought putting it in my salad might work).

lastly - if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. It's not bloat - I usually don't have an issue with that anymore since I've increased the fiber in my diet for months. Raw veggies (some of them) can cause issues, but this is pretty intense (just pressing on my stomach slightly hurts). thoughts?

Replies

• vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat the granny smith apples & don't have any issues eating them. I know alot of raw green vegetable can cause pretty bad gas/ stomach pains. Could it have been something else you ate? Hope you feel better :)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    well thats really the only thing I ate 'different' than normal? I usually have a huge salad - a 9 cup tupperware bowl. and fill it with 7 oz of romaine, 1 or 2 sweet bell peppers, a whole apple, 2 subway chicken breasts (180 cals worth of chicken), and some banana peppers.

i had this exact thing 3 days ago. The only change I made here, was the GREEN pepper, and the Granny smith. I'm wondering if the 2 of them together spelled doom. LOL

I WON'T make that mistake again. I hear that granny smiths can cause belly ache - but - I just don't know enough and normally don't eat them. The Green pepper was a gift from someones garden, and the apples were also a gift - so..? I have 2 left. Not sure if I will throw them out or what. I KNOW they have given me a stomach ache in the past, but i haven't had them in so long I had forgotten. oy. I don't *think* it's gas - but - I'll take a gas pill anyhow. see if it helps. Thank you!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get bad tummy pains after lunch, what I wear makes a difference, tight clothes make it worse. Keep a record of it and see your doc if you are worried.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith apples sometimes give me stomach pain. I find it easier to eat them cooked.