What do you and your S.O do together?

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I've been with my bf for almost 2 1/2 years and lived with him for almost 2. We do still go on the occasional "date" and sometimes we cook dinner together and on Thursdays we watch Survivor together. But the majority of the time, I feel like we're both home, even in the same room but doing our own separate things. That's fine to a degree, I don't have to spend time with him all the time or be engaged every second, but most nights it's like we're together, but we're not since he is immersed on what he is doing and me in mine. If I say I want to spend more quality time with him, he wants to know doing what....and I draw a blank. What are some small things you and your S.O do together like that?

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Grocery shopping,
    other shopping,
    She tans, I oil her up,
    exercise together occasionally,
    I do most of the cooking, but sometimes we work together on it. And we eat together of course,
    Dont' get out to do it as often as we'd like, but we both love museums,
    Bike riding (in season), that one's probably my favorite - well, almost :smooched: :blushing:
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It is different now that we have a 20 month old at home, however before we would rent/watch a movie together, cook together, go grocery shopping together, go for a walk with the dogs, go get ice cream and sit at the marina.....
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    nothing:ohwell:
  • HelloSunshine
    Options
    Me and my fiance have been together almost exactly the same amount of time and we hit this same stage a few months back. Where the "honeymoon" phase of living together wears off and its just like... how do we keep things exciting. Recently we have found that board games and card games are something that we both enjoy and can bond over. We went to walmart and got Life and Monopoly, yahtzee, battleship and a few card games like phase 10. Every Tuesday and Thursday night we have game nights. It's been really great and working out well for us. We also do couples massages some nights. We will put on a tv show or movie that we both enjoy and rub each others feet. Its a good way for us to stay connected while doing something that doesnt necessarily encourage discussion.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Bike riding (in season), that one's probably my favorite - well, almost :smooched: :blushing:

Haha, you crack me up. We need to start eating together....we do, but on TV trays in front of the TV= zero interaction and conversation. I think I'll request at least two nights at the table.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Me and my fiance have been together almost exactly the same amount of time and we hit this same stage a few months back. Where the "honeymoon" phase of living together wears off and its just like... how do we keep things exciting. Recently we have found that board games and card games are something that we both enjoy and can bond over. We went to walmart and got Life and Monopoly, yahtzee, battleship and a few card games like phase 10. Every Tuesday and Thursday night we have game nights. It's been really great and working out well for us. We also do couples massages some nights. We will put on a tv show or movie that we both enjoy and rub each others feet. Its a good way for us to stay connected while doing something that doesnt necessarily encourage discussion.

I like the board game idea....I thought we were going to do that because we like the new vintage versions that they have out right now of the classic games. So we bought Monopoly with housewarming money, I've asked to play it several times but he says he doesn't like monopoly, just wanted it as part of the collection :noway: Maybe we could find others we both like, or get into some Wii games.....our Wii mostly sits there collecting dust.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    My husband and I have been together 12 yrs... married for 9 in February.

We tend to stay at home mostly. We don't go out to eat much, mainly bc it's so expensive and we've really gotten into cooking our own recipes. We like to look up a new recipe and see if we can make it bc I used to not even be able to fry an egg! :)

We watch a lot of movies-- mostly at home. Occasionally, if it's a really good one we'll go to the theater. But, it's expensive when you have to pay someone to watch your child and pay for the movies-- around 50 bucks for one movie!!!

We play vid games together. Scene It is really fun. I like dungeon and dragon co-op vid games. Or guitar hero.

We play tennis when it's warm.

But, lots of times... he's doing his thing, I mine.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    the big thing is that when you are doing things together, that you talk/communicate...doing something as mundane as watching tv together? - chat on the commercials, talk, tease each other, be play full... me and mine are constantly playful (as are my parents who have been married 27 years) talking and playing/being silly together keeps the intimacy fun and you find yourselves smiling together. even if i am doing my own thing and hunny is doing his...say i'm cooking and he's being a lazy bum watching tv... he will come pick on me, try to steal food, ask if i need help etc, during a commercial break....i swat him and kick him out of the kitchen....or really shock him and say yes i do need help and make him a job! LOL same with groceries, or taking the dog for a walk or whatever. I am grateful that this time my hunny is not a big computer addict (i am more then him) so he will his do his thing while im working on the comp, or ill snuggle with him if he's using the comp while i watch tv. if you can, have a date night.... relationships ARE work, so both of you need to give 100%

i have done the relationship (for 6 years) where my ex and i were basically just room mates... lived together, even slept (and i mean sleep lol) together, but i did my thing always and him his thing, i watched tv in the living room he watched tv/played computer in his comp room. didn't even sit and eat together... didn't enjoy same shows and didn't really compromise, ill watch one of yours and you watch one of mine lol... oh and we NEVER went to bed at the same time....

with my current honey (love of my life) its just diff. and meant to be. even if we watch a movie together and he falls asleep... i am content. snuggled up together. massaging his head. i know he's gonna be out in less then 5 min... i dont care. we are together, snuggling, holding hands whatever.... little things that make the intimacy count,,, ya know? and if he's tired at 10 even if I am not, MOST days i will still go to bed when he goes, cuz thats our time to spend together, a lil chit chat before he starts snoring lol... i can always get back up once he passes out, or read a book beside him, or just enjoy the snuggles til i fall asleep myself :) and we can never tell each other enough that we love each other.

you just have to find what that is for you guys..... the only thing i can't stress enough is the COMMUNICATION! sharing, etc.
    kiss when you leave the house, hug and kiss when you get home, share your days, etc...

I know that was a whole lot of seemingly personal rambling, but hope you can take something away from it :)

ps forgot to mention --- we as well often do our own things.... it's healthy and normal and needed lol so you don't drive each other crazy!!!! hehehe --- you just don't want to get to the point where i was in the past of living with a "room mate" and nothing more :)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We eat together, walk the dogs together, go to the gym together. We go grocery shopping together and even the mall sometimes too. We touch base a couple of times during the work day just to say hi. We enjoy going to the movies together as well. We have been married for just over 5 years, second marriage for both of us and we both had such lousy first ones, we don't want the same problems.

Don't get me wrong, he still has his guy time at the range or out with friends and I go out with my women's walking group or go and spend time with friends, but we enjoy each other's company the most.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    some couples just don't do a bunch of stuff together but sometimes that's the way they like it. My partner and I do just about everything together and we're happiest that way. I would say no matter what try to eat dinner at the table together (NO TV) at least 3 times a week - you need that time to connect and talk if even the typical "how was your day dear?" type conversations. In fact my partner is my best friend mostly because we do talk about everything and it starts at the end of the day with that cliche question.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    the big thing is that when you are doing things together, that you talk/communicate...doing something as mundane as watching tv together? - chat on the commercials, talk, tease each other, be play full... me and mine are constantly playful (as are my parents who have been married 27 years) talking and playing/being silly together keeps the intimacy fun and you find yourselves smiling together. even if i am doing my own thing and hunny is doing his...say i'm cooking and he's being a lazy bum watching tv... he will come pick on me, try to steal food, ask if i need help etc, during a commercial break....i swat him and kick him out of the kitchen....or really shock him and say yes i do need help and make him a job! LOL same with groceries, or taking the dog for a walk or whatever. I am grateful that this time my hunny is not a big computer addict (i am more then him) so he will his do his thing while im working on the comp, or ill snuggle with him if he's using the comp while i watch tv. if you can, have a date night.... relationships ARE work, so both of you need to give 100%

i have done the relationship (for 6 years) where my ex and i were basically just room mates... lived together, even slept (and i mean sleep lol) together, but i did my thing always and him his thing, i watched tv in the living room he watched tv/played computer in his comp room. didn't even sit and eat together... didn't enjoy same shows and didn't really compromise, ill watch one of yours and you watch one of mine lol... oh and we NEVER went to bed at the same time....

with my current honey (love of my life) its just diff. and meant to be. even if we watch a movie together and he falls asleep... i am content. snuggled up together. massaging his head. i know he's gonna be out in less then 5 min... i dont care. we are together, snuggling, holding hands whatever.... little things that make the intimacy count,,, ya know? and if he's tired at 10 even if I am not, MOST days i will still go to bed when he goes, cuz thats our time to spend together, a lil chit chat before he starts snoring lol... i can always get back up once he passes out, or read a book beside him, or just enjoy the snuggles til i fall asleep myself :) and we can never tell each other enough that we love each other.

you just have to find what that is for you guys..... the only thing i can't stress enough is the COMMUNICATION! sharing, etc.
    kiss when you leave the house, hug and kiss when you get home, share your days, etc...

I know that was a whole lot of seemingly personal rambling, but hope you can take something away from it :)

ps forgot to mention --- we as well often do our own things.... it's healthy and normal and needed lol so you don't drive each other crazy!!!! hehehe --- you just don't want to get to the point where i was in the past of living with a "room mate" and nothing more :)

Thank you, that was really helpful :smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<SNIP>>..... the only thing i can't stress enough is the COMMUNICATION! sharing, etc.
    <<SNIP>>
    +1 on that, very important. She's my #1, best buddy, most important person in the world, and I never let her forget it. 21 years and counting. :tongue:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    My wife of almost 35 years and I ski together, hike together, walk together, and generally do most things together. However she plays tennis, I play golf.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    ditto on the communication and the playfulness--

when he's gone to work- he calls me every chance he gets, just to see how my day is going. when i'm gone out of town-- i call him every chance i get just to see how his day is going.

we're always messing w/each other-- we act like we did when we were kids, just goof off-- laugh a lot!
  • summercox
    summercox Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been married for a year and a half and we always seem to find time to do things together, even with 2 6 year olds and a 5 month old baby. First off, we eat dinner every night at the table as a family. Always have and always will. There is no TV or music in the background either. We haven't had any TV shows this year that we like to watch but I just got him a Wii for Christmas and we got the new Super Mario and Mario Kart and we have started doing this in the evenings for about an hour. It's great and it gives us something to do together before bed. We also like to play the Wii Sports and I like the Tennis and the Bowling. We get really competitive with it and its fun. We are also doing the myfitnesspal together so it makes for good conversation when it comes to what each of us ate and how much we exercised. It is almost like a little competition too.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    nothing:ohwell:

I'll have to 2nd that Gracie
    Been with hubby 16 yrs, married 10yrs....we pretty much just work to take care of the kids 4.5 and 6 and collapse and do house stuff, pay bills after they got to bed
  • caseybreunig
    caseybreunig Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years and lived together for 2 - so we're much like you. We went through the same thing - where being a relationship isn't "exciting" anymore so you have to find ways to make it so. We like to play Yahtzee and card games. There's usually always a bet involved - from a 5 minute back massage to ice cream. For the past two years we've been playing Yahtzee where the first person to win 26 games get free dinner from the loser. It's fun! (Even though I always lose!) When one of us gets Yahtzee, we have to give them a kiss - no matter how mad are that they're winning!

As far as other things we do together, we go grocery shopping, run errands, do housework, etc. Not exciting for sure, but it's together time. We also like to watch Wheel of Fortune - we actually bet on what color Vanna's dress is going to be and then try to solve the puzzles first :)

The biggest thing is definitely communication. We went through a phase where we didn't talk much, just existed with each other. So now we make sure to talk about each other's day while cooking dinner. It's a little thing, but it's helped a lot. Just asking the question "how was your day?" seems to help so much!

Good luck!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been together for just over a year and our favorite thing to do together is go hiking and exploring the State Parks here in Minnesota. We both purchased State Park stickers and at least every other Sunday, we go to a State Park to go hiking. We've also tried geocaching. His 5 year old son also likes to go to the parks with us to see new things. When he's with, we play Simon Says so we end up doing things like lunges, jogging, skipping, etc. It's great exercise and good bonding time. When we don't take his son, the two of us have great conversations and it feels like there is nothing else in the world but me, him and nature.

We also go out to eat, go for Sunday drives and go for evening walks in the neighborhood after dinner. We rarely eat in front of the TV (except during football or NASCAR).

The best part of all of this is that our relationship is stronger than most of the people we know AND we're by far the most active.

Good luck and most of all, have fun with your SO!
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    I'm lucky that my husband is very talkative and has a lot of varied interests and opinions. Some of the things he's interested in do not interest me, and I tend to ignore him (sorry honey!) on those subjects (SPORTS). But anyway, he likes to talk, so I engage him in conversation a lot. So, if I hear something interesting on the news/radio, or something interesting happens at work, I'll come home and say, "so, guess what I heard today," or "what do you think about that health care bill?" or whatever. We also go to church together and talk about the sermon or songs.

Probably most ppl don't have as talkative a SO. I'd say, YOU go ahead and chat about your day and your opinions on various things and don't be offended if he doesn't respond. Ask him about his work. Ask for his opinion on something that happened to you. Ask for his "help" on some interaction that happened at work. For example, your co-worker said something that hurt your feelings, but it's not really a big deal. Tell him about it and see what his thoughts are. Men really like "saving" us, so ask for his help then thank him for his insights. Stroke the ol' male ego, you know? hehe!

Have fun!

Oh yeah, we used to play darts together - that was fun. We also play video games together. That is about it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Once in a while we play scrabble, or yahtzee. (A scrabble dictionary is wrapped and under the tree) :wink: We're "wheel watchers" too - and try to solve the puzzles. Cooking and eating together... but also, a lot of the time we do our own things as well. It helps a lot to crack jokes and be playful, and most importantly, try to notice and say THANK YOU for every day routine things that your partner does for / with you. Showing appreciation and noticing how someone is giving their affection (even if it isn't the way you would show it), :flowerforyou: goes a very long way.

Good luck!