Pregnant? Should I . . .

Options
I recently found out I am pregnant. I have lost about 15 pounds and beleive it or not I am already starting my second trimester. I have throw weight loss out the window and just been focusing on eating right. But I am wondering because i do have a lot to lose, would it still be safe to say lose .5-1 pound a week? I have adjusted my eating from 1400 cals to 2100 cals and still lost 4 pounds this week. I have a doc appt on the 20th but was just wondering until then if anyone has been told this is safe or not. I know some doctors say losing a small amount is fine and other want a gain but I am already big so I don't see a need for a gain as long as I am eating good foods and I am eating at least 2,000 cals a day, third trimester moving up to 2,300 cals a day.

Anyone been in my situation before?

I lost the 15 pounds in my first trimester before I knew I was pregnant.

Replies

• MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    no matter what people say on here...

consult your doctor
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was 250 when I got pregnant with my last one. I was told don't try to lose, just maintain my weight. It's very hard to get enough nutrients for you and the baby while losing weight. Of course, your doctor should be the final word on this. Congratulations!!
  • kiely13
    kiely13 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

consult your doctor

^THIS^
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

consult your doctor

Exactly. This is a decision for a medical professional.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Had all the intension of askign ym doc, on the 20th. Just wondering what do do untl then since i still had a lose with the larger calorie intake.
  • shnjem
    shnjem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can't call your doctor to discuss prior to your visit on the 20th, at the most, just focus on eating healthy and maintaining rather than continuing to lose. Even if you have a lot to lose, err on the side of caution for your baby's sake until you can speak with the doctor. I would think your doctor's office would be willing to answer this question while you wait for your next visit....you have nothing to lose by calling! Good luck and best wishes for a happy, healthy baby!
  • banshishi
    Options
    If you stick to eating healthily, it can only benefit the baby anyways, I wouldnt worry about losing weight just try to avoid putting in on, if you are sticking to a healthy balanced diet, then losing weight isnt an issue, trust me, fetus are leeches they will take the good stuff before you get it. the danger isnt losing weight its losing it with out all micro nutrients. I was pregnant and didnt know it til I was nearly 6months, and I worked my *kitten* off in the gym, followed a strict diet, etc because I didnt know I was pregnant never gave it a second though, had a perfectly healthy son. Dr and Midwife, actively encouraged me to carry on for rest of pregnancy the fitter you are at birthing time the better, That said, no idea of you medical history so its really up to the professionals.
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For women who are extremely overweight it can be safe to lose weight in pregnancy...while under a doctor's supervison. Talk to your doctor about this
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Had all the intension of askign ym doc, on the 20th. Just wondering what do do untl then since i still had a lose with the larger calorie intake.
    I would suggest eating a healthy diet, don't try to lose any more without the doctor's ok, but if you happen to lose a couple of pounds don't sweat it. It's less than 2 weeks until you see the doctor.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You should never try to lose weight while pregnant. Even starting out overweight, most doctors will aim for about a 15 pound gain. Most of this usually happens in the last trimester when baby is putting on weight much faster (1/4-1/2 pound a week in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy)!

Do not try to lose weight. Concentrate on getting sufficient protein, nutrients, exercise, and rest, and worry about losing weight AFTER you have delivered. Talk to your doctor about the appropriate food plan since you're starting out overweight (you have an increased risk of GD starting heavy, so your doctor may want you on moderate to low carbs just in case... but again-ASK!!! Your OB is there for this stuff). ;)

Congrats and good luck!
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tons of women lose weight in pregnancy - ask anyone who had all-day sickness. Keep it up with your adjusted calories for now (2100), make sure to take a multi vitamin just in case, plenty of fluids, etc. For my first child, I wasn't overweight, but I still didn't gain much till 25 weeks (and honestly, you really shouldn't be gaining much if anything in the 1st tri anyway) because I was too sick. It packed on pretty quickly after the sickness left, lol. Just keep eating healthy foods, and keep exercising, just don't overdo it!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body and to messaging forums. Everyone will have an opinion, including your doctor, but you should pick the advice that you like the most and go with. It's your body and your baby, and you should feel free to abuse it however you see fit.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

I'm pregnant too, and while I am at a normal and healthy weight, it wasn't *quite* where I wanted to be, so right now, I'm trying to eat healthy, and small amounts, without calorie counting. Haven't gained any weight yet, and I'm almost 10 weeks along.
  • stefaiman
    Options
    Yep I lost 15 pounds and then got pregnant, but I knew right away I was pregnant. I would say continue to eat healthy because the baby needs those good nutrients, and focus not on weight loss but maintaining your current weight or putting on no more than 10-15 pounds total through the pregnancy. Then that baby weight will be easy to lose and then you can get back to your weight loss plans. My baby is now 2 months old and I am breastfeeding, but I have lost the 17 pounds I gained through my pregnancy, plus an additional 13 pounds. At this point you need to think f that little one getting what it needs to be healthy for the next 6 months, then you can finish your weight loss journey.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    2100 calories per day is plenty for any individual, pregnant or not, to live on. I'd keep doing what you're doing until you can get in to see your doctor.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It depends on how heavy you already are. Please do lots of research and speak to your doctor.
    I have never been pregnant, nor do I want a kid - but I wanted to research if their is even a reason for women to gain 40, 50, 60 -100lbs during pregnancy.

If you are "obese" or have a large amount of weight to lose to get to a healthy weight, then Yes you could keep losing weight while pregnant.

If you are already in a "healthy" weight rage, or maybe even just "over weight" then it probably is safest not to try to lose weight.

Talk to your dr!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I was over weight during my pregnancy . My doctor recommended I use Weight Watchers . I say continue to eat a healthy diet and exercise but not over do it.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    have not been there... however!!!

Eat lots of healthy foods and lots more calcium than before... Take a good multivitamin (many people I know get sick from the horse pill prenatals) and get your folic acid in, many cereals have this but make sure you get enough.

Calcium though, my friend lost most of her teeth through pregnancies, they suck it right out of you, so your bones and teeth will suffer majorly. I would even look up more info on what to take to help your body absorb calcium. I know there are better sources for calium than just milk even, so try a few different sources to save yourself some stress.

I would NEVER try to lose weight while prego, just aim for maintaining and getting what you and baby need :) Congrats!!!!!! Losing now isn't necessary, enjoy the time off while you get ready for your new adventure.

edited to say : try to always do your kegels every day, lots! You can work out some while pregnant, but I would talk to your doctor about it if you aren't already in a routine.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have no medical training but personally I would eat when I'm hungry, continue to eat healthily but not focus on calories- if you lose, you lose. I've had a couple friends who have lost weight whilst pregnant because they switched from bad eating habits to eating healthily.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    eat healthy foods , 2100 - 2300 sounds good , but you shouldnt ever be hungry , so if you are hungry eat no matter how many calories youhave eaten during the day.. stick with the 6 small meals a day to assure you and your baby are getting proper nutrition :) and congrats