Body fat % help please

Options
I'm a little confused to say the least. I've checked out about every body fat % calculator I can find, and I get different numbers on all of them. Most of them are putting me in the high 20's. But the military one used on in place of a road map has me at 40% body fat, so that's the number I went with. (I do TDEE-20%) I see a lot of other people my size saying they are at a lot lower body fat %. I'm 5' 3" 157lbs with 41" hips. I just want to make sure I'm using the correct numbers. I feel like I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated. :blushing:

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The military one doesn't take other measurements into place. I would look at the ones that take measurements from many areas of your body to get the closest.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The lower numbers I got, like around 27%, were on the ones that took a wide range of measurements.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would use those then and keep using the same calculator to track your progress.
  • JesGrn
    JesGrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unfortunantly unless you go to a Dr or sometype of place that do
    es the real test al these BMI calculators are just an estimate. A true BMI seperates the lean muscle mass from your body fat. The only way to do that is with these crazy special pincher things or a water displacement tank. Other wise all its doing is taking into count how much weight your frame carries. So even if you and the guy standing next to you weigh the same and are the same height but he's a professional body builder with zero fat one of those calculators will tell you are the same BMI as him based on height and weight alone. Hope that helps and doesn't just confuse the issue more
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    If you can spend about $100 and get one of the scales that will calculate it for your. Makes life much simpler and the technology is pretty accurate. You can find them online or at Best Buy. I purchased the Aria one and had a hydro test for body fat done by my DR and they were within one tenth of a percent difference on the same day and there are several factors that could have explained that. Well worth the price. Some of them will hook up to wifi and auto store measurements online.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a bod pod in your area I highly recommend making an appointment. Takes the guess work out of it and is very accurate on telling you your body fat % as well as what % is muscle, bone, water, etc.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's true that it's impossible to get a super accurate measurement of body fat without the calipers or the water displacement tank (and even those won't necessarily be 100%). However, if you pick one method and stick with it, it will at least allow you to measure change.

I agree that if you're using an online calculator you should go with the one that uses the most measurements, especially as a woman. This site is pretty cool, and gives you calculations based on three different models and an average of each:

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

I actually throw out the US Navy #1 and do my own average of the other two, as the first calculates notoriously high, again especially for women.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    No I get what your saying. It had me a little worried I wasn't eating the right amount, because the bf% is in the TDEE calculator. But I just checked it both ways and got the same number, so I'm not to concerned. Of course I would like to get into a healthy bf range, but I guess that will happen as I lose anyway. Thanks for the help. :smile:
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really thought I was missing something lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The less accurate devices said I was at 17% BF and when I went for a hydrostatic BF test I was at 10.5% which matched what I looked like. I went on vacation and ate up a bit and when I got back I wanted to get ripped for a contest so I continued at a calorie deficit but by then the Venus Index had come up with a "Reverse Taper Diet" and calculator where I could enter my metrics and it would tell me how many calories I should eat and as my metrics changed (dropped) it would gradually taper up my calories. I did this this while my body re-compositioned and recently had a DXA scan done.

DXA is much more accurate.

The hydrostatic test costs around $40

The DXA scan is a medical procedure and cost me around $80. It was well worth the price and I learned that at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super fit 30 year old. Now if that is not scientific evidence that lifting weights keeps you young and wards of osteoporosis I don't know what is!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It's true that it's impossible to get a super accurate measurement of body fat without the calipers or the water displacement tank (and even those won't necessarily be 100%). However, if you pick one method and stick with it, it will at least allow you to measure change.

I agree that if you're using an online calculator you should go with the one that uses the most measurements, especially as a woman. This site is pretty cool, and gives you calculations based on three different models and an average of each:

I actually throw out the US Navy #1 and do my own average of the other two, as the first calculates notoriously high, again especially for women.

Bod pods are just as accurate as these two methods stated.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:COJInM9QeOIJ:ybefit.byu.edu/Portals/88/Documents/How%20Does%20The%20BOD%20POD%20Work.pdf+bod+pod+accuracy&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShLidtG8InJZX5o08VGILH5xPIq9r2QNN_3xb1adI_y-vQgSMC03YLCz-X2WvZwiuT_B0EMIZgZnKnl23YDbVj54rtREV74GimEp8BwjmAZbliitvnJDYTTrnY1yQRuUMzFCFCs&sig=AHIEtbQ47K9Kj-8bB1sTkKV-Q5bK1tKEFw
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. Just stick with 1 method of testing body fat. Although you can reassess every two weeks or so, the range of error in BIA devices are far greater than the actual rate of fat loss - so you'll get some inconsistent readings now and then. The foot scales have a smaller range of error (3-5%) compared to the upper body devices (2-10%). Regardless, tests over the course of 3 months should give a pretty accurate picture of your progress. Just dot a graph to notice trends over time.

Every method you look into, there are going to be cons due to human error, even with hydrostatic weighing where you have to remove all air bubbles from your hair and swimsuit as well as blow out ALL oxygen from your lungs before going under. If you don't, you'll have to repeat it several times to get the final reading.
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    The less accurate devices said I was at 17% BF and when I went for a hydrostatic BF test I was at 10.5% which matched what I looked like. I went on vacation and ate up a bit and when I got back I wanted to get ripped for a contest so I continued at a calorie deficit but by then the Venus Index had come up with a "Reverse Taper Diet" and calculator where I could enter my metrics and it would tell me how many calories I should eat and as my metrics changed (dropped) it would gradually taper up my calories. I did this this while my body re-compositioned and recently had a DXA scan done.

DXA is much more accurate.

The hydrostatic test costs around $40

The DXA scan is a medical procedure and cost me around $80. It was well worth the price and I learned that at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super fit 30 year old. Now if that is not scientific evidence that lifting weights keeps you young and wards of osteoporosis I don't know what is!

Wow!! That's awesome! I just ordered NROL4W. I was on the weightlifting team in high school, but I'm way out of practice these days. I can't wait to get back into it. That's really inspiring. :drinker:
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Bod pods are just as accurate as these two methods stated.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:COJInM9QeOIJ:ybefit.byu.edu/Portals/88/Documents/How%20Does%20The%20BOD%20POD%20Work.pdf+bod+pod+accuracy&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShLidtG8InJZX5o08VGILH5xPIq9r2QNN_3xb1adI_y-vQgSMC03YLCz-X2WvZwiuT_B0EMIZgZnKnl23YDbVj54rtREV74GimEp8BwjmAZbliitvnJDYTTrnY1yQRuUMzFCFCs&sig=AHIEtbQ47K9Kj-8bB1sTkKV-Q5bK1tKEFw

Yep--but the online calculator is free. :wink:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The military one doesn't take other measurements into place. I would look at the ones that take measurements from many areas of your body to get the closest.

I agree. But you do have a lot of body fat, given what you said.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lose weight. Exercise. Look in the mirror and how your clothes fit.

Body fat has to be measured professionally to be accurate. Otherwise, more measures are better.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Thanks for this! I think I will get this to start. I don't really have the cash to get it professionally done right now.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

This has me at 30% average. Which seems about right.
  • PetulantOne
    Options

I agree. But you do have a lot of body fat, given what you said.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lose weight. Exercise. Look in the mirror and how your clothes fit.

Body fat has to be measured professionally to be accurate. Otherwise, more measures are better.

Yeah I figure when I can see more muscle than fat I'll be in good shape lol.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    While the US Navy/military one is known to over-estimate, it should be closer to the other calculators. Mine is only 1-2% more. The thing is, you have to use the measurements it was designed for. You dont use your navel, and you dont use your widest hip measurement from a front-facing view.

For your body fat to show up that high for the Navy one, I would hazard a guess that you aren't measuring in the right places. You should use your natural waist (not the navel) and Navy hip (buttocks) measurements. Natural waist is "point of minimal abdominal circumference". About halfway between Breastbone and navel. Unless you have a high waist, then you might want to use the side bend test. The hip measurement should be taken at the widest point from a profile view of the right side so that the tape passes over "the greatest protrusion of gluteal muscles (buttocks)," so not your widest hip measurement from a front facing view.

If you are interested in seeing the full instructions for Navy taping, you can view at www.jag.navy.mil and look for OPNAVINST 6110.1H.