thoughts on exercise and why it's NOT torture :)

Options
Check out my blog- but this is my latest entry-- any thoughts?
www.fitorgetoffthepot.blog.com

I am one of the lucky ones. My endorphins go off the charts during any kind of work out. I wish I could put it in a bottle because it’s better than any medication out there!!!!!

A lot of people view workouts as a punishment. When people tell me they hate to exercise I always ask why.

Run another lap, do another push up. To me, that’s not punishment but something that is a challenge. My dear friend Melenda who sadly passed away in 2009 told me that her father would use exercise as a form of punishment and make she and her brother run laps if they did sometihng he didn’t like. . When a parent does that, it’s safe to assume a person will grow up with PTSD related to working out. What a shame. Exercise=punishment and torture means many people don’t go out of their comfort zones and stick with what bores the heck out of them. Or they just don’t even try. Then they give up because who likes torture?
Or even worse, they don’t try because they say “I have to wait until I lose ___lbs before I start my work out. Or “I am afraid people are going to judge me at the gym.” First of all, if someone judges you, that’s their issue and not YOUR problem. Second, start moving now, even if it’s just one block down the street to start. Everyone starts somewhere and it’s NEVER too late. I recently saw an article of a man who is a double amputee who can lift over 300lbs and is going for the GOLD in 2016. No excuses. If he can work out and not care who is judging him, or not wallow in self pity, then so can I.

Do people assume all workouts have to suck the life out of you? Is it because they are doing something they just hate? Do they, like myself, remember torturing themselves on a stair master (BORING) or shall I age myself and say the Jane Fonda workout of the 80′s? Step aerobics- No thank you. Zumba- shall I dare say NO THANK YOU either. Not my thing. But give me Turbo, Les Mills, 10 minute Tony Horton and gasp eventually P90x and I am your girl. I also love team sports, biking, an elliptical, tennis and walking/jogging to music. Other than team sports, I generally need music to work out, I need a beat. TV doesn’t help me at the gym unless I can listen to music and watch TV at the same time. When I walk Zac- if I have music, I walk a lot faster.

What about team sports? They are fun and you forget it’s exercise. What about dancing? Who goes to a wedding and says “I am not going to dance because it’s exercise.” Has anyone ever said that???

If I could bottle endorphins, I’d be a multi billionaire but it’s free- just MOVE!

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Does anyone read my posts??? lol
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I read them whenever I get a chance, lol. Probably most people are out enjoying their endorphins while they can today! =)
  • merzback
    Options
    LOL thanks- good point. I just see so many people that respond to NEGATIVE things> I am trying to write something helpful and nada! How are you?? and thanks!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just read it, but I have not read any prior :) I too love the high you get from working out. Its the best. My sister and I concluded one large problem people have is that they never have worked out long enough to get to that place. If you run for 10 minutes or 12 minutes in school you don't get into that zone. If only they knew what they were missing out on.
  • cashew1b
    cashew1b Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LOL.. It is too hot out for me to enjoy my endorphins right now. In the past month, I have all but become addicted to my morning walk. I missed it this morning; because, it was still dark out when I had to leave for work. I enjoy pushing myself to a certain extent. One of my goals right now is to be able to make it through Billy Blanks 8 minute tae bo without wanting to lay on my floor and cry afterwards. (Me and my sis used to do it on a daily basis).. So yes, exercise is not torture for me anyway. Just took me a bit to get back into the swing of things.
  • AnnKneeNorth
    Options
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!!!! I loved your post! I agree with you about finding something you love and enjoy doing. I think for a lot of people when they enjoy doing a workout, because they are enjoying it they think " I am not pushing myself hard enough", so then they feel that if they aren't torturing themselves, it's not a true "good" workout. I never thought that I would love lifting weights, but found that I love love love it!

Oh and on a side note, if the people in biggest loser can do those kinds of exercises so can I.lol!
  • Chigger56
    Options
    I read your post and you are right on 2 counts....folks comment on the negative ALOT and exercise is AWESOME!!! I ran 4 miles this morning for the first time and LOVED IT!! I love the challenge!!
  • Chigger56
    Options
    Let me rephrase that...I have been running for months. Have been running 3-3.5 miles and did 4 miles this morning.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have only seen positive effects from exercise. I think I'm becoming addicted to it! I actually feel down if I can't get a day in. (Not on resting day, and I'm still active; but I don't record that.) I love to exercise!
  • pancake100
    pancake100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Excercise good for the heart and body. Reap the benefits now, to have plenty of fun later in life.
  • merzback
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I agree