Eating after 6 pm

Options

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The time doesn't matter, calories do. I was in grad school and working when I started trying to lose weight, so "dinnertime" was 11pm before I passed out.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Calories may not tell time, but your metabolism surely does....

Nope.

Yes you may be sleeping but you are still alive. The simple process of being alive uses a surprising amount of calories.

There is evidence that in lean individuals, sleeping metabolic rate can even be HIGHER than resting metabolic rate. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11896493)

There is simply no evidence to support the idea that eating after 6pm (within your calorie allowance) is detrimental to fat loss.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html

Eating after 6pm certainly doesn't seem to be bothering the 1000's of people losing weight with the leangains system, when most or all of their calories are eating in the evening. Total calories/macros is what matters.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Nope she is fine. She owns her body not you. Let her be.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Do I look like I'm in starvation mode: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/732679-what-the-venus-index-workout-did-for-me-with-pics

Let people decide for themselves. If you are strong, don't get sick, are not fatigued, have great workouts (I Do!) then why can't you just listen to your own body and decide. If I'm not hungry I don't eat.

I did exactly what your friend is doing when I started out on my weight loss 3 years ago and it WORKED for me.

You are not very smart are you?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat after 6 PM I would never eat dinner.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. There is no magic time or reason you should abstain from eating after a certain time, unless of course it makes you feel ill or you dislike sleeping on a full stomach. But if you're hungry- eat.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Some people, like myself cannot eat late due to other health reasons. I eat after 6 or 7pm & I cannot sleep due to a very large hiatal hernia. My Dr has advised me not to eat after 7.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with eating after a certain time in the evening is it messes with your tummy....and to go to sleep with a full belly supposedly isnt a good idea. . Ive heard it said that when you eat late....whatever "late" is in your world..makes your digestive system work overtime and can cause sleeping issues.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift... sooo most of my eating occurs after 6pm, since I wake up at 4pm. In fact, nearly all of my eating occurs after 6pm.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I guess all you folks who work the graveyard shift are screwed....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism ever stops, you die.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. Unless you have a medical reason it makes no difference. I eat ~750 calorie dinner between 6:30 & 7:30 pm every day. I then eat my 4th meal if ~1500 calories between 8:30 - 9:30 pm then march off to bed. Hasnt hampered my weIght goals.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to matter unlesss you eat and go directly to bed. I've heard you should not eat a couple of hours before going to bed. Personally. I'm up til 3am cross stitching, I have my late night snack before 11pm and it is usually 2 slices of swisds cheese and a pack of the Carl Budgig luncheon meat (10 slice single serve packs) I make a "sandwich out of it - I lose with it. I get up about 10:30 am , eat brunch about 12:30 and dinner between 5 and 6. I think eating light later in the day/evening makes a difference than eating a heavy meal.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I really think that whether we eat or not after 6 p.m. is just a choice that some of us make in order to help ourselves. Some of us don't get home from work (then the gym) till after that time. We then have to prepare a meal before we can eat. It doesn't seem to make a bit of difference to me but I do try to make lunch my main meal of the day nowadays because I don't like going to sleep with a full stomach. That's just a preference though.
    And I think the ticker's broken here because it said that I'd lost 10 lbs. It should say 16lbs and the 40 that I lost before I joined MFP were done eating the exact same way.
    Don't get me wrong; I love the built in accountability that MFP offers. It makes this journey a whole lot easier.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    idk any science behind it, but i try not to eat within a few hours of going to bed. most days my dinner is around 7 or 8 pm and i go to bed around 11 or 12.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/29/can-eat-late-and-still-lose-weight/

I am not a big fan of Fox News but the same article is can be found on other sites.....spread out on 4 pages. So to save time, I used this link.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Life wouldn't be worth living without and evening meal to look forward to!
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tend to have/make dinner at about 6pm. Don't know if it's like a rule to me or just something I do. Each to their own I say.
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been eating up to 1200 cal after 6pm and I've been dropping steadily over the past month. To each their own but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I never really cared as long as my calories/calories burned were OK. Now, for some reason, if I get up at 1am to let my dog out, I want food. I've NEVER been that way, ever. I'm not even hungry so I don't know what's up. Stress, I suppose. Maybe I'm not eating enough during the day? Anyway, if I eat anything after I'm done logging for the day, I add it to the next days breakfast and it hurts to see it there. The truth hurts. When I do that I'm adding 100-300 more cals and that makes it hard to stay on track the next evening. It's a bad cycle I need to break to lose these last 10lbs!

I wish I could stop eating by 8 and eat nothing until breakfast. Maybe I'll make that my goal for this week.

Thanks for the post. :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If deciding not to eat after a certain time works for her, or helps her be more disciplined, then there isn't anything wrong with it (as long as she eats enough total)... as long as she isn't giving you trouble about not following her rules.

I eat probably 75% or more of my calories after 6pm, and so far, I'm consistently losing.