Need calories but no protein!

Options
I've went over my protein recommendation today, which I'm worried enough about. What are the risks of overstepping your protein boundaries? I figure I'm about 9-10 percent over because I'm into -5. Is this really bad?

Also I'm still under on my calories today but I honestly can't think of anything I can eat that isn't chocked full of proteins too.

Really am in a huuuuge pickle. :(

Replies

• azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your protein levels are fine--MFP automatically sets the percentage on the low end of things. General recommendations are anywhere between .5 grams-1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. I shoot for 100 grams a day.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've went over my protein recommendation today, which I'm worried enough about. What are the risks of overstepping your protein boundaries? I figure I'm about 9-10 percent over because I'm into -5. Is this really bad?

Also I'm still under on my calories today but I honestly can't think of anything I can eat that isn't chocked full of proteins too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    MFP's protein settings are amazingly ridiculously stupid.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What are the risks of overstepping your protein boundaries?

None, 0, zilch. This is a non-issue. I'd be more worried if you weren't doubling the amount of protein MFP is prescribing.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You should view the protein section as your minimum. I changed mine so that it's much higher because mfp doesn't set it as high as it really should be (especially if you're working out, but even if you aren't).

Fear not! Eat a grilled chicken breast and enjoy it! ;)
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ya, you can go way over the MFP recommendations. They are a minimum, not a maximum. In fact, if you are exercising you want MORE protein than that to help build muscle.

If you do want calories without protein, try avocado. They are high in calories and good fats.
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ohhh man, thank you! I'm new and trying to religiously follow things so I got spooked when I went into minus.

I understand now, I'll keep my protein up and won't immediately die of kidney / heart / skeletal failure (like 90 percent of crazy pages seem to preach).

Time to go faceplant some lovely chicken.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I think you've found your solution. :laugh:

If it's only one day I don't think you really need to be that worried about it though.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The protein setting is not a LIMIT, it's a minimun GOAL to be reached everyday ;)
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    If you don't have a pre-existing kidney condition, you can easily intake 3g of protein per kg of bodyweight with no adverse effects. Perhaps more, but that's usually prohibitively expensive. ;)
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    protein is fine...
  • azalais7
    Options

Time to go faceplant some lovely chicken.

HA!
  • azalais7
    Options
    The protein setting is not a LIMIT, it's a minimun GOAL to be reached everyday ;)

Yeah, it's unfortunate that MFP automatically puts your number in GLARING RED OH MY GOD! when you go over on your protein macro, when its default setting should in fact be a minimum goal for most folks.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Your body eliminates excess protein as waste. You're fine.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 100g + of protein per day and am just dandy. it's really the one macro you don't need to worry about.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You should get .33g of protein per pound of mass. Not 1 for 1, I don't think you have much of an issue going over on protein unless you take in too many sugars or fats. If you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

1115581193_8de09_NotSureIfSerious_answer_101_xlarge.jpeg
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    You should get .33g of protein per pound of mass. Not 1 for 1, I don't think you have much of an issue going over on protein unless you take in too many sugars or fats. If you're not hungry, don't eat.

I'm curious where you are getting that number from. Pretty much any well-recognized exercise nutritionist will say 2g/kg minimum for those engaged in regular strength training.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

It IS one for one for protein. .33g of FAT per pound of mass.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Vegetables? Maybe. A nice big salad. But yeah, they're right. Both the protein and the fiber are pretty low on here.