Possibly stupid question

Options
I've had some significant weight loss in the last several months (roughly one third of my body weight), and I consider that a huge success. Here's the possibly stupid part, though: for the past week or so, I just feel weak. I'm eating fairly well (a few indescretions here and there) and exercizing daily, so shoukdn't I be feeling stronger? Why does my daily workout feel harder than before?

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have less energy stored on your body. What kind of intake do you aim for daily? If you're at goal, you can try and up the calories some now until your weight holds steady and your energy levels are back to normal.
  • jazzygrace123
    jazzygrace123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried B-12? Your body still needs nutrients that give you energy.:smile:
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need more protein?
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating some more of your exercise calories back for awhile to get your strength back up.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have not had at that problem and I lost that amount of weight. You need to look at your diet, make sure you are getting enough of everything. I take an electrolyte (emergen-C sports zero calorie and it has vitamin B-12 like jazzy grace says) but I eat pretty healthy even if some people here think it's too low. I have plenty of energy, don't get fatigued and I don't get sick.

I you are eating enough and healthy and it keeps up I would go see a doctor. There are all kinds of things that can cause this, thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and the list goes on. Doctors can look at your lab results to help determine if something is amiss.
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Protein and Carbs.. Carbs aren't the enemy in moderation. Also If you are working out 7 days a week, your muscles might not be having a chance to repair, which would actually make you weaker.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Personally, because you have lost so much weight I would focus on maintaining your weight for a month or two before loosing more weight.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a short period like a week, it's also possible you're fighting something :P I thought I was also feeling weak from purely diet/fitness standpoints... then lo and behold, I had some sort of virus that I was fighting off.

Your increased fitness could be why you're not getting super severe symptoms, because of a stronger immune system, but you feel weaker overall.

See if resting for a day or two improves your strength & health.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    it could be a few different things such as other have mentioned..it could also be that maybe you are working harder or training more?? i always feel week and tired and sore.. but at same time my intensity has increased im working out longer and i am doing more and more every day that i havent done in years. and i am hitting my body hard and it is in shock im sure and im not giving it much if any time to recover. u could be doing something like this and not even realizing it.

so i would think about it.. maybe takes some vitamins, have a few more carbs before working out and maybe talk to a doc that might know something...it is possible maybe something else is going on with ur body..maybe fighting off a cold and not even know it.?... either way keep up the good work
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I just looked through your diary for the past couple weeks and I noticed something. You are constantly averaging 1000cal intake PLUS your workout. Now, I know I shouldn't be talking much about that because I have that problem too sometimes, but still. You need more nutrients and calories, you dont have enough to run on. And you've met your goal, so I would aim for 1500-1800 NET cals a day, if at all possible. Don't make a sudden jump, but start increasing your cals by 100 every two weeks or so and take a rest day, you don't want the weakness, right? So rest, eat healthy, but eat enough.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it seems like you have quite a few days where you work out a lot, and eat 1200 calories or under. No wonder you don't have much energy! You need to fuel your body some more. I don't say you need to eat ALL your exercise calories back, but you should eat more than 1100-1200 calories a day when you're working out hard and burning as much as you seem to do.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I was getting to that point and it seemed like a combination for me - I needed a little more sleep and a little more protein.

It looks like you usually have a lot of leftover calories because of your exercise. Try having a little more to eat - it might make a difference to how you feel.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Wow, such quick responses!

I've upped my calorie allowances to a maintenance level (though freely admit to feelimg guilty for eatimg so much), but haven't tried B12. *note to self: look into better suplements*

Thanks
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary for the past couple weeks and I noticed something. You are constantly averaging 1000cal intake PLUS your workout. Now, I know I shouldn't be talking much about that because I have that problem too sometimes, but still. You need more nutrients and calories, you dont have enough to run on. And you've met your goal, so I would aim for 1500-1800 NET cals a day, if at all possible. Don't make a sudden jump, but start increasing your cals by 100 every two weeks or so and take a rest day, you don't want the weakness, right? So rest, eat healthy, but eat enough.

I was going to say the same thing. You eat very little while exercising soo much. Gradually increase your intake.
  • dwarfstarzero
    dwarfstarzero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This story is similar to mine, so here's some suggestions.

When I was zumbaing a few months ago this happened to me, I hit a wall where I just felt so weak I couldn't move some days, I've determined it was a nutritional failing matched with physical disorder, as the above people suggested, add some calories back, especially if you've added any sort of muscle-gaining routine into your workouts.

More variation of vitamins, and more protein will help bring the energy back, also consider taking a day off of exercise to recoup. If this is an on-going problem with weakness see a doctor. That's actually how I found out I had fibromyalgia. With some prescriptive drugs to help me through the rough days I've been able to climb back on the horse and workout regularly again.

Good luck! Hopefully it's simply nutritional, and you'll be back to normal in no time!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This story is similar to mine, so here's some suggestions.

When I was zumbaing a few months ago this happened to me, I hit a wall where I just felt so weak I couldn't move some days, I've determined it was a nutritional failing matched with physical disorder, as the above people suggested, add some calories back, especially if you've added any sort of muscle-gaining routine into your workouts.

More variation of vitamins, and more protein will help bring the energy back, also consider taking a day off of exercise to recoup. If this is an on-going problem with weakness see a doctor. That's actually how I found out I had fibromyalgia. With some prescriptive drugs to help me through the rough days I've been able to climb back on the horse and workout regularly again.

Good luck! Hopefully it's simply nutritional, and you'll be back to normal in no time!

First, the only stupid question is an unasked one! Secondly, ^^^ This!! :flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. You eat very little while exercising soo much. Gradually increase your intake.

What these guys said. Under 1200 calories isn't enough food for you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Go and see a doctor
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have to admit that I 'm terrified of waking up fat again, so when my calorie intake gets up over 700, I go out for another bike ride to compensate. it used to feel great, though! I will try to up my intake, slowly and "right" and consider taking a day off to rest.

Thanks again