Plateau

Options
Hello all!
I have lost 8 pounds since joining this awesome webpage! I had lost 21 before that. I am very close to my goal weight and am seeming to stall out (shocking!). I've tried upping my calories and eating more at lunch, but my weight went up after that. I was eating a snack bar with lunch. Today I tried a string cheese with my lunch. Do any of you guys have any tips? I seem to be stuck at 141 and I would love to be around 130-135. Also, should I try to eat more calories in the morning? I eat a small breakfast, snack of almonds midmorning, and then have around a 300 calorie or so lunch.
Thanks!

Replies

• kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact boat...right now I am at 138 and would love to be at 130.....I just CANNOT seem to get there. Now granted through the Thanksgiving season and a couple Christmas parties I cheated however right back the next day ( and I even worked out extra on the days I cheated).
    But I just do not see any movement on the scale. Nor inches. It was smooth sailing until I hit 137-138. Now I have been at a dead stop for about 3 months.
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    At least we aren't alone :tongue:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    And I am about the same. Ieat 250 calories for breakfast 300 for lunch and a 100 calorie snack about 3pm. Then I workout after work and burn 350-450 calories depending on what I do that day. Then I eat whatever is left...sometimes I even have 200-300 calories left over for the day.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    How about changing your workout routine ?
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    OMG! i am at the same place as you! i lost 31lbs so far and have another 9 to go to my goal! and here i am stuck! its been a couple months and i have only dropped one pound during this time! i think part of it is that ive been kinda bad (its the holidays!) so right now i am happy to have maintained over the last two months. I think i will start again after the 1st of the year!!! good luck to you!
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a bigger breakfast! And with dinner try to have very little carbs. If you're going to have carbs you should have veggies (Green beans, celery, carrots, zuchhini, etc) Non starchy type carbs. I'm a believer in having breakfast be the biggest meal of the day. I eat almost 400 calories for breakfast. I try to make dinner my smallest meal of the day.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your calories. From the sounds of it the both of you are only getting about 1000-1100 calories a day. When your body gets closer to your goal you really do need to up your calories to keep your metabolism going. Have you been logging your calories and your excersize with the tools on here? You should eat all your calories a day and then eat at least half of your excersize calories back.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    how long did you give upping your calories? It takes 4 to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to a new calorie number, and if you do it all at once, then YES you will probably gain at the beginning. That's ok, it's part of the process, once your body becomes used to the new calorie amount, and your metabolism adjusts, you'll be able to lose again.

In fact, for just about ANY change you make, you need to give it about 2 months for the changes to take real affect. Anything shorter than that, and you just can't be sure it worked or didn't work. Sometimes results happen faster, but sometimes not.
  • ImGoinDown
    Options
    Try low carb/low calorie for only one week. This will knock you down a few.

People hold fast to the "eat more calories" thing, but it rarely works, ask the people who gained a few trying to up the calories.

I know everyone is about doing it the slow and steady route, but that can be a real motivation killer and sometimes you need a quick jump.

I did low carb/low calorie for 5 months, went from 248 to 186 and kept it off after going back to normal eating.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I actually just went through that I was 118 for a month or so then I took a week of and kind of ate a little bit of what i normally didn't eat and I was back on trakc the following monday and Lost a lb that week. Well this morning i weighed 116. !!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

People hold fast to the "eat more calories" thing, but it rarely works, ask the people who gained a few trying to up the calories.

I know everyone is about doing it the slow and steady route, but that can be a real motivation killer and sometimes you need a quick jump.

I did low carb/low calorie for 5 months, went from 248 to 186 and kept it off after going back to normal eating.

How do you know it "rarely works"?
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    I have lost 8 pounds since joining this awesome webpage! I had lost 21 before that. I am very close to my goal weight and am seeming to stall out (shocking!). I've tried upping my calories and eating more at lunch, but my weight went up after that. I was eating a snack bar with lunch. Today I tried a string cheese with my lunch. Do any of you guys have any tips? I seem to be stuck at 141 and I would love to be around 130-135. Also, should I try to eat more calories in the morning? I eat a small breakfast, snack of almonds midmorning, and then have around a 300 calorie or so lunch.
    Thanks!

There are plenty of options to get yourself moving along again. What foods you eat are a factor. You may have to swap certain foods out of your diet and other foods in. Depending on what your diet looks like?? How you space out your meals daily can factor in. Using weekly carb ups or refeeds can be a big help. decreasing cals, upping cardio, adding HIIT 1-2 weekly..You may have to use several options but you can get moving along again. It is just about making the necessary adjustments when you stop making progress.
  • ImGoinDown
    Options
    Well first off, she tried upping the calories and gained weight, plus I've heard that situation far too much.

I'm just speaking from experience and what has worked for me, my mother and my aunt. Here I am second time around and I've lost 20lbs this month and unlike many others, when I stopped, I didn't gain all my weight back plus some.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Well first off, she tried upping the calories and gained weight, plus I've heard that situation far too much.

I'm just speaking from experience and what has worked for me, my mother and my aunt. Here I am second time around and I've lost 20lbs this month and unlike many others, when I stopped, I didn't gain all my weight back plus some.

The point other posters have tried making is that yes, people WILL gain at first, but it levels out and then they see a drop. Often people see a gain, panic, then go cutting calories again.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

To say it rarely works is a little bold. Just because it did not work for you does not mean it won't work. I tried low carb diets and felt awful and the weight I lost I gained right back, but I am not going to say they rarely work because people have found great success doing them.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    First, low carb isn't something you "try" it's a lifestyle. Low carb changes the way your body works completely. It turns you from a carbohydrate metabolism to a protein one. It's a serious adjustment to make and it takes a commitment and comes with it's own challenges. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it's just different.

One thing to remember about low carb diets is that, yes, you will lose a big chunk at first, but it's not fat, it's mostly water and excess glycogen being leeched from the body, up to 10 lbs. Look, I have nothing against low carb, I just don't think it's a weight loss strategy, it's a lifestyle, one you should be prepared to follow for life, not a shortcut to weight loss, because it's not.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    First, low carb isn't something you "try" it's a lifestyle. Low carb changes the way your body works completely. It turns you from a carbohydrate metabolism to a protein one. It's a serious adjustment to make and it takes a commitment and comes with it's own challenges. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it's just different.

One thing to remember about low carb diets is that, yes, you will lose a big chunk at first, but it's not fat, it's mostly water and excess glycogen being leeched from the body, up to 10 lbs. Look, I have nothing against low carb, I just don't think it's a weight loss strategy, it's a lifestyle, one you should be prepared to follow for life, not a shortcut to weight loss, because it's not.

I agree. I said try because I had to try it to see if it was the lifestyle for me and it was not it made me physically ill.