Does distance running have any post workout benefits?

Options
Been running for a while now mainly a mix of shorted 4k at a faster pace and a few longer 8ks slower.

Now apart from the fact I am much fitter and my endurance his improved much more is there any post work out benefits from running. I know weight training enables you to burn a greater amount of calories when you have stopped. Does running do anything to aid fat loss when you stop?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, a steady state run will not yield as great an EPOC as resistance training or HIIT. So consider adding interval runs into you runnning training regimen. They will improve your both your speed and body composition.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1537/Tip-426-Lose-Fat-Save-Time-Improve-Conditioning-with-Sprints.aspx
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, a steady state run will not yield as great an EPOC as resistance training or HIIT. So consider adding interval runs into you runnning training regimen. They will improve your both your speed and body composition.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1537/Tip-426-Lose-Fat-Save-Time-Improve-Conditioning-with-Sprints.aspx

Yes, Yes and Yes! adding resistance training, HIIT and interval runs actually helped me run better too!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You won't get much at the distances you are describing. Distance running can provide an afterburn, but it takes running at a pretty decent intensity (70+% VO2 max) for 45+ minutes.
  • Azdak
    Options
    In any case, the "afterburn" effect of exercise--regardless of where it comes from -- is modest at best. You are still better off adopting a good mix of workouts -- endurance and interval--along with resistance exercise for the overall health and fitness benefits rather than any "afterburn" or "fat burn" characteristics.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My DH certainly thinks so. I'm less cranky? :explode: :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    EPOC does rise with steady state work but the % increase is smaller compared to higher intensity exercise (7% v 14%)

In practical terms though EPOC does not amount to anything of significance for the normal person so is not really a good basis for changing a routine.

I do think intervals etc are a great technique for improving performance and fitness but if you are thinking of doing them simply because of the higher EPOC effect it won't be worth it.

ETA: as Azdak has already said I see...
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    EPOC does rise with steady state work but the % increase is smaller compared to higher intensity exercise (7% v 14%)

In practical terms though EPOC does not amount to anything of significance for the normal person so is not really a good basis for changing a routine.

I do think intervals etc are a great technique for improving performance and fitness but if you are thinking of doing them simply because of the higher EPOC effect it won't be worth it.

the study he is referencing was done in a metabolic chamber. 155bpm HR with joe average guys at 70% VO2MAX saw an afterburn increase just below 200 calories over 24 hours. 420 calories were burned in 45min exercise at this intensity. making the % afterburn a LOT higher then 7 or 14%.

That said, the fact of there being afterburn only when you start to push anaerobic threshholds seems to be true. at lower intensities, the afterburn is far less.
  • Azdak
    Options

the study he is referencing was done in a metabolic chamber. 155bpm HR with joe average guys at 70% VO2MAX saw an afterburn increase just below 200 calories over 24 hours. 420 calories were burned in 45min exercise at this intensity. making the % afterburn a LOT higher then 7 or 14%.

That said, the fact of there being afterburn only when you start to push anaerobic threshholds seems to be true. at lower intensities, the afterburn is far less.

The "7% vs 14%" number comes from a meta analysis done (I believe) in 2004, which reviewed dozens of studies on the topic and determined the "best fit" average.

I believe the study you are referencing is one by David Nieman from Appalachian State? If so, that is a single study, with results that (so far) are substantially outside the averages reported by previous research. Doesn't make it wrong, but it needs to be replicated with various other populations, etc, before it can be considered proof of anything.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

The "7% vs 14%" number comes from a meta analysis done (I believe) in 2004, which reviewed dozens of studies on the topic and determined the "best fit" average.

I believe the study you are referencing is one by David Nieman from Appalachian State? If so, that is a single study, with results that (so far) are substantially outside the averages reported by previous research. Doesn't make it wrong, but it needs to be replicated with various other populations, etc, before it can be considered proof of anything.
    metabolic chambers are relatively new far as i'm aware. the one where this study was done was built only a few years ago. And far as I know, metabolic chambers are 100% accurate. as for replicated, well again as far as I know, this is the only metabolic chamber avail to do this sort of testing.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I get the runners high. Changes my attitude for the rest of the day. Love it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM my heart rate drops back to normal after any long run basically as soon as I sit or lay down to elevate my legs afterwards. And my BMF shows no increased caloric burn for the time after a run. After my half marathon last Sunday my heart rate was down to normal as soon as I walked back to the hotel.

For me, the only post-long run benefit I get is getting to eat a nice, big meal to replenish some of those 1400 calories I burned off. :)
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dat zen! Anything over 10 miles and I might as well be a Buddhist monk for the rest of the day.
  • Azdak
    Options

metabolic chambers are relatively new far as i'm aware. the one where this study was done was built only a few years ago. And far as I know, metabolic chambers are 100% accurate. as for replicated, well again as far as I know, this is the only metabolic chamber avail to do this sort of testing.

There are a number of them available around the country. I don't know that any methodology can be considered "100% accurate", and even if it were, both human variables and experimental structure can affect results as well.

Again, I am not dismissing the study or saying it is wrong. If this is the study that I think it is, then the main researcher (Dr Nieman) does quality work and I paid attention to the results. But no matter how good a study seems, especially in the area of EPOC and post-exercise calorie burn, you need a lot more than one study to provide definitive results. That's all I am saying.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My DH certainly thinks so. I'm less cranky? :explode: :laugh:

Same here AND I get guilt-free carbs.:laugh: