Cooking for the week for 2 adults.. Help

Options
Hi everyone! Boyfriend and I have been eating well but it would be really nice for me to cook the day before my work week starts to have meals ready. I go to school full time and work almost full time so I'm usually pooped when I get home.

What are some of the things you cook and prepare in advance for dinner for the 5 day work week? Also how long does it keep in the fridge or freezer? I have a crock pot which i dont use as much as i like but would love ideas! I like to cook with chicken, ground turkey, eggs, textured vegetable protein(cause its cheap), beans, whole wheat pasta, rice and am open to new suggestions! I typically use frozen veggies too which are quick to prepare.

On a side note, what do you guys eat for lunch that's "clean"? I don't have access to a fridge or microwave so all I can think of are sandwiches and salads.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Lunches?

Nuts are always a nice option.... Or chicken breasts....

Day before? Anything... Umm my usual is quick that I like which is steak + veg... 5m each side whilst veg cooking...

Honestly though if for week?

Try a hearty soup.... Chunks of beef + veg... Or even a stew mix... then on day either add spice + flavour and reheat in pot, or just warm up to have as stew as normal...

Beef + veg as base can make almost anything really...
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I make large batches of borracho beans that I freeze into small portions. Add rice or cornbread, and dinner's served, or use as a side for turkey tacos.

-1.25# pintos (rinse, soak in cold water overnight, drain again)
    -LOTS of water
    -hambone with meat clinging to it or 2-3 smoked ham hocks or 1 hamsteak with bone, cubed
    -5 cloves of fresh garlic, roughly chopped
    -1 onion, chopped
    -2 (or more) jalepenos (one chopped with seeds and one whole slit lengthwise)
    -3 Tbs Mexican oregano
    -2 bay leaves
    -1 Tbs ground cumin/comino
    -2 tsp tumeric (optional)
    -1 tsp paprika
    -3-4 tbsp chicken paste (I like Better Than Boullion)
    -1 Dos Equis or Negro Modelo - don't use Corona. Ick.
    -1 can diced tomatoes with juice (optional)
    -salt, to taste
    -1 bunch fresh cilantro

Put the beans & hambone in water in the largest stock pot you own. Cover them in PLENTY of water - leave just enough room for boiling. Throw in everything through the paprika. Bring to a boil, then lower to a good simmer. Stir occassionally to prevent sticking. Add extra water as needed to maintain water level.

After the beans are soft (probably 1.5-2 hrs), add the chicken paste (carefully, 1 tbsp at a time to keep from over salting) and the beer. Add the tomatoes and chopped cilantro at the very end and heat through.

I make a lot of soup which I freeze in small portions, too. Invest in a Stanley wide mouth food thermos. It'll run you about $20-30, but they are virtually indestructible. Heat your soup in the morning, pour into your thermos, and now you have a hot lunch.

When I make casseroles, instead of the 9x13 pan, I use 2 aluminum bread loaf pans. I cook for just the SO & me, so one is more than enough for 2 meals. The second one I freeze for quick dinners during the week.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I make large batches of borracho beans that I freeze into small portions. Add rice or cornbread, and dinner's served, or use as a side for turkey tacos.

-1.25# pintos (rinse, soak in cold water overnight, drain again)
    -LOTS of water
    -hambone with meat clinging to it or 2-3 smoked ham hocks or 1 hamsteak with bone, cubed
    -5 cloves of fresh garlic, roughly chopped
    -1 onion, chopped
    -2 (or more) jalepenos (one chopped with seeds and one whole slit lengthwise)
    -3 Tbs Mexican oregano
    -2 bay leaves
    -1 Tbs ground cumin/comino
    -2 tsp tumeric (optional)
    -1 tsp paprika
    -3-4 tbsp chicken paste (I like Better Than Boullion)
    -1 Dos Equis or Negro Modelo - don't use Corona. Ick.
    -1 can diced tomatoes with juice (optional)
    -salt, to taste
    -1 bunch fresh cilantro

Put the beans & hambone in water in the largest stock pot you own. Cover them in PLENTY of water - leave just enough room for boiling. Throw in everything through the paprika. Bring to a boil, then lower to a good simmer. Stir occassionally to prevent sticking. Add extra water as needed to maintain water level.

After the beans are soft (probably 1.5-2 hrs), add the chicken paste (carefully, 1 tbsp at a time to keep from over salting) and the beer. Add the tomatoes and chopped cilantro at the very end and heat through.

I make a lot of soup which I freeze in small portions, too. Invest in a Stanley wide mouth food thermos. It'll run you about $20-30, but they are virtually indestructible. Heat your soup in the morning, pour into your thermos, and now you have a hot lunch.

When I make casseroles, instead of the 9x13 pan, I use 2 aluminum bread loaf pans. I cook for just the SO & me, so one is more than enough for 2 meals. The second one I freeze for quick dinners during the week.

Wow that sounds delicious I love beans and ham! Thank you I'll definitely try that.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I often ook large batches of things in advance because of time constraints during the week, not to mention it's more economical to buy / cook in quantity. Here's a list of some of the in adavance healthy meals I prepare on a regular basis. If any of them appeal to you I will go into more detail. All of them fall seomewhere between 450-650 cals per good size portion. Most of these itmes will keep in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer indefinately.

-ground turkey chili
    -Cuban black bean soup
    -Mexican lazagna
    -Turkey / tuna noodle casserole
    -Jumbalaya
    -ground turkey loaf
    -homemade veggie burgers
    -quinoa salads (southwest, mediterranean, asian)
    -chicken curry

I could go on, but these are a few ideas
  • pursuedbybear
    Options
    I like to cook a whole chicken on Sunday with some veggies, and then pull the leftovers off the bone it after dinner. I either add in some yogurt, curry powder, hot sauce, chopped onions, celery, scallions, cilantro, and grapes, and serve that chicken salad on crackers or pita bread the next night with a side salad or some vinegar-y coleslaw, or I put the shredded chicken in ziplock bags and serve them over greens with some veggies and homemade dressing!
  • tequila09
    Options
    Shmoony- I am very interested in the Mexican lasagna and homemade veggie burgers! Mmm I'm getting hungry

Please and thank you :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like to grill extra on the weekend - make a few chicken breast, do 2 london broils, roast a pork loin.
    The meats can be sliced to go on salads, or in sandwiches, cubed/ chopped with onion/celery/carrots for salad. Meats can be used for quick tacos/burritos/enchiladas etc.
    Also grill roast veggies too - they make great toppings for salads, go good in sandwiches etc. They reheat well too.

If you have your proteins done then sides are quick - sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, frozen veg blends are quick and easy.

If you don't have a fridge at work try an insulated lunch bag with a cold block - I will take leftovers protein and starch and full the container with frozen veg. It helps keep things cold and only need to be warmed through the wave for about 2-3 minutes for a hot meal.

Sorry didn't remember you done have a wave at work - they are inexpensive - could the office go in on one?
  • tequila09
    Options
    I like to grill extra on the weekend - make a few chicken breast, do 2 london broils, roast a pork loin.
    The meats can be sliced to go on salads, or in sandwiches, cubed/ chopped with onion/celery/carrots for salad. Meats can be used for quick tacos/burritos/enchiladas etc.
    Also grill roast veggies too - they make great toppings for salads, go good in sandwiches etc. They reheat well too.

If you have your proteins done then sides are quick - sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, frozen veg blends are quick and easy.

If you don't have a fridge at work try an insulated lunch bag with a cold block - I will take leftovers protein and starch and full the container with frozen veg. It helps keep things cold and only need to be warmed through the wave for about 2-3 minutes for a hot meal.

How long does your meat keep in the fridge?
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DIYmomma
    DIYmomma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can boil a large pot of chicken and turn it into many things, you can put it in freezer bags and take it out the morning/night before.

spaghetti squash is a good substitute for noodles or just by itself, you can cook it ahead of time, the freeze the two halfs then thaw warm in microwave and remove insides with a fork and cover with sauce

you can make meatballls and bake/freeze and just warm up later for meals.

you can do homemade chicken nuggets and freeze

soups can be made ahead and frozen

potatoes can be baked and kept in the fridge and warmed in the microwave

thats just a few that i can think of off the top of my head, feel free to message me if you have questions
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Once its cooked if you ziplock it and place it in the coldest part of the fridge it will be fine for at least a week or more. You can always freeze cooked portions if you don't want to risk long fridge times - then just pull out the meat of the day and defrost in the fridge for when you get home.
  • tequila09
    Options
    Once its cooked if you ziplock it and place it in the coldest part of the fridge it will be fine for at least a week or more. You can always freeze cooked portions if you don't want to risk long fridge times - then just pull out the meat of the day and defrost in the fridge for when you get home.

I'm a total newb but how would I prepare the cooked meat after it has been defrosted? Just heat it up in the pan or microwave? Or something else? Thank you!!
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Depends on what you will be doing with it - if its for salad or sandwiches just slice and eat. If you using it with a carb and veg side, slice off your portion and warm in the wave. If its going in tacos - shred it and toss with some sauce and warm gently before you make your tacos. Dice it and add to soup stock with some rinsed canned beans and roasted veg and bring to a simmer add spices and you have homemade soup.
  • tequila09
    Options
    Depends on what you will be doing with it - if its for salad or sandwiches just slice and eat. If you using it with a carb and veg side, slice off your portion and warm in the wave. If its going in tacos - shred it and toss with some sauce and warm gently before you make your tacos. Dice it and add to soup stock with some rinsed canned beans and roasted veg and bring to a simmer add spices and you have homemade soup.

Yum thank you so much for helping me out :)
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    You are only limited by your imagination!

Check out allrecipes.com

Download the kindle app of pc and troll the free book section - there are tons of free cookbooks -many geared for the beginner cook. They are good for getting ideas that yuu can modify to make your own.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Dishes where chicken or meat is braised freezes and reheats well. My own repertoire in this category is Coq Au Vin, Chicken Teriyaki, Chilli Con Carne. Serve with cous cous, rice or quinoa and some salad or frozen veg for a quick weekday meal. Let me know if you need the recipes for any of these.
  • tequila09
    Options
    You are only limited by your imagination!

Check out allrecipes.com

Download the kindle app of pc and troll the free book section - there are tons of free cookbooks -many geared for the beginner cook. They are good for getting ideas that yuu can modify to make your own.

Thanks for that I'll look into it!! I'm a field rep so I'm out and about so it needs to be cold lunches. I'm okay with having sandwiches and salads though because I can add a lot of variety.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Once a a month I buy an entire round steak for $10. I slice the eye of round for two beef stir-fries, and often pop them into marinade before they go into the freezer. The rest of it is cut into large chunks(leaving off the fat) , and put into a crock-pot with a coarsely chopped onion, three cloves of garlic (we like garlic)a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, and a bottle of Guinness, with water to cover. This is then cooked for 24 hours.

Broth usually becomes beef stew when we take it out, with a handful of the pulled beef. The rest of the beef is frozen in handfuls. It goes in beef-and-noodles. It goes in barley stews with mushrooms. It goes in soft tacos. It goes in curried yogurt with white rice and naan. It goes in barbecue sauce on a bun. And all of this quickly and easily and deliciously.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    stir fried veggie's are great. bean sprouts, cabbage and sugar peas are my go to veggies. just at a tbsp of kikkoman less sodium soy sauce a little garlic and which ever veg, cook til tender. left overs keep for days. low calories too.
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Once a a month I buy an entire round steak for $10. I slice the eye of round for two beef stir-fries, and often pop them into marinade before they go into the freezer. The rest of it is cut into large chunks(leaving off the fat) , and put into a crock-pot with a coarsely chopped onion, three cloves of garlic (we like garlic)a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, and a bottle of Guinness, with water to cover. This is then cooked for 24 hours.

Broth usually becomes beef stew when we take it out, with a handful of the pulled beef. The rest of the beef is frozen in handfuls. It goes in beef-and-noodles. It goes in barley stews with mushrooms. It goes in soft tacos. It goes in curried yogurt with white rice and naan. It goes in barbecue sauce on a bun. And all of this quickly and easily and deliciously.

You can do the same kind of thing with chicken when you can get the big flats of parts on sale. Split them into a few breasts per portion - hit them with favorite marinade or dry rub and freeze - be sure to label it is raw and what flavor especially if you freeze cooked meats as well!