Cross Ramp Vs. Treadmil...???

Options
For most of my life I did virtually zero exercise and although I wasn't fat I knew I wasn't fit - I could hardly get the mail without getting winded.

Anyway, eventually I DID get fat and gained about 50 lbs. In April of this year, I made the decision to get into the gym and CHANGE MY BODY.

Because I was new to exercise and had absolutely no endurance, I chose the Cross Ramp at the gym vs the treadmill. Mostly because a) it was easier for me b) I sweat like a maniac and get a GREAT bpm reading c) the calorie read out is much more than I was getting from a treadmill.

Well it's Sep now and over the last 5 months I have reached my goal weight using JUST this machine (down from 170 lbs to 130 lbs) I feel much better and I'm in a size 6 pants.

However, I look at the runners on the treadmills and something inside me knows I am cheating myself on the Cross Ramp. I have read over and over again that the calorie reads out falsely high on ellipticals and we start to use them as a crutch bc we feel like we've done a lot of work when really the machine is giving us a lot of boost. It's regarded as being a good work out for the elderly and unfit - OMG I don't want to be seen as unfit and I am definitely NOT elderly!

In that same breath, I still do feel like it's giving me quite a work out! I sweat like a crazy person and my heart rate is never less than 160 and after all, I did lose the weight on it!

But I am getting the feeling I may need to move to "grown up" equipment; onto the treadmill and start running and really start pushing myself. But I'm scared that when I get on it, I will see how out of shape I STILL am and that I will lose all the motivation and hope I've gained over the past 5 months. Like failing on this machine will almost take away what I feel like I have accomplished on a fitness level.

Can I get some opinions on this one? Is my Cross Ramp workout a cop out? Is it "sissified?"

Help!

- Chelle

This is my Cross Ramp btw in case you don't know what machine I am referring to:

http://www.precor.com/products/en/efx-883-elliptical-fitness-crosstrainer

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Well, I'm not really an expert on exercise or anything so I couldn't tell you which one is better for you, or the ins and outs of them in terms of physical changes. But I think that if you feel compelled to try the treadmill you should go for it - what's the worst that can happen? It's not like once you step on the treadmill YOU CAN NEVER GET OFF!

I bought a treadmill last week because I wanted to get a chance to do some incline-walking and get running, but I'm too self-conscious to run outside so a treadmill allows me to try this in my own home. I've read all over the internet about how running outside is much better for you than running on a treadmill for all manner of reasons, but you know what? This works for ME. That's all that matters.

Congratulations on your weight loss using the Cross Ramp - I used that machine at the gym I used to go to, and it was really hard! If you get a good workout out of it, then you should stick with it, but if you're really tempted by the treadmill then I say give it a try, you can always alternate your workouts, right? One day cross ramp, next day treadmill, next day back to cross ramp, and so on.

Also I should say that when I was going to the gym, I was going on the treadmill and walking at a brisk pace on a medium incline, while others around me were sprinting when I got and still sprinting while I stepped off! But like I said, your workout is about you and what you think is best - don't worry if you think you 'should' be going on the treadmill... you'll know whether you should or not once you've tried!

H
    x
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    H,

TY sooo much for your reply! I actually came to the same conclusion after thinking long and hard.

I just got back from the gym and my plan is to follow a beginner runner's training program and since they advise that you do not run two days in a row, I will do my Cross Ramp the days I am not running.

I did find I was a little discouraged today bc it was SOOOO hard and the calorie read out was so much less. I also found I wasn't POURING sweat like I do on the Cross Ramp either. It's so dumb but I correlate sweating with the quality of my work out lol

It really helps to have a place like this to obsess. I know I tend to drive my family and friends CRAZY. I mean they don't really give a crap what gym equipment I use! LOL