what to order

Options
I am going out to eat at a mexican restaurant tonight and want to make a somewhat healthy choice for dinner. I was thinking of chicken fajitas with no beans or rice but heard that fajitas are cooked in oil. Any suggestions on what to order? I love mexican food so much and it would be easy to over indulge so I am trying to plan ahead!

Replies

• GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    maybe a taco salad, just don't eat the shell or sour cream.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Chicken tacos with corn tortilla's are a good option! It's the chips and salsa that kill me!
  • RJharley
    Options
    Just remember:
    Don't eat the chips. When you order look on the menu for food that is baked or grilled. Don't order any topping. Avoid sour cream and guacamole. Salsa is a nice alternative to these and is low in fat and high vitamins and antioxidants. Mexican food tends to have big portions. You might like to cut the portions in half and put in a to go box.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I get chicken fajitas and don't eat anything that comes with it but the chicken and vegetables. I don't eat the flour tortillias either... But I do LOVE the chips and salsa (salsa doesn't have many calories), so I eat a few chips and pile salsa on everything. I'm usually very full when I eat this way, and I don't feel like I'm missing out! - Hope that helps.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    When I go to a Mexican restaurant, which is less than once a month, I just count it as a splurge meal. And, I'm sorry, but I have to say that's my advice. :smile:

And what's with all the sour cream hating? :laugh: I LOVE full fat sour cream. It's a staple in my fridge. You just have to remember 1 tablespoon has about 30 calories. Moderation is key. :wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    fajita's are tricky. they look healthier than they are. Most resteraunts in NM have chicken fajitas at 800-1000 calories for 2-3 fajitas. Chicken Taco's is your best bet. Here is an example:

Taco La Salsa - Chicken (2 Corn Tortillas 6", Jack & Cheddar Cheese, Salad Mix) (2 tacos) (267 cal/10 g fat/3 g fiber/29 g carbs)

Three Pepper Fajita Platter - Chicken - No Beans - 3 Corn Tortillas (1) (1034 cal/37 g fat/12 g fiber/126 g carbs)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    And what's with all the sour cream hating? :laugh: I LOVE full fat sour cream. It's a staple in my fridge. You just have to remember 1 tablespoon has about 30 calories. Moderation is key. :wink:

I agree. I have guacamole around too. Advocado's are really healthy for you.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I always get the pollo loco and we go once a week with my kids. I get rice no beans, I also eat 7 chips with salsa and i brake the chips in 1/2 as I eat so it make me feel like I am having more. I cant go to mexican and not eat the chips! Its around 500 cals. i usually get the avacado salad and that adds 140 more. Good Luck!