Snacks with Fruits and Veggies?

Options
I really need to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, but I'm not sure how. I'm really busy between school, work and volunteering so if anyone knows of any good on-the-go snacks, I would really appreciate it. Thanks :)

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Raw fruit and veggies are the ultimate easy, portable snack! Grab an apple or pear, throw some grapes or strawberries or carrot/celery sticks in a bag, and you're good for the day! Both peanut butter and nuts go well with them and are easily portable too. Or cheese/yogurt if you have access to a refrigerator.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hummus! If you have a fresh and easy nearby, they have carrots and celery prepacked with hummus or ranch.
    If you don't have a fridge, get an insulated lunch bag and a few ice packs.
  • karebrr23
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah those would probably be the easiest...I think I just never want to take the time to cut up all those veggies. Maybe if I cut and bag them all at once so I could just grab it and go in the morning.
  • karebrr23
    Options
    Mmm, I never thought of hummus and veggies...I always just do crackers, which isn't the best snack lol
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I don't like cutting them all up either -- that is why I have been opting for strawberries and grapes a lot lately. Oranges also don't require cutting up. For veggies... try baby carrots grape tomatoes, or sugar snap peas. You can also cut up a lot of celery at once and keep it in ice water in the refrigerator and it won't spoil for a LONG time.
  • destinedwi
    Options
    Baby carrots are great! No cutting! Now days too you can buy everything precut if you rather pay a little extra to not have to cut.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love my Larabar's. They are little fruit and nut bars that are so yum and come in a variety of flavors. They are all natural. My fav is the Apple Pie flavor. IThe only ingredients are dates, apples, almonds and cinnamon (I believe, can't remember if there's another type of nut) but they are really good! I throw one in my purse in the morning for a snack later in the day. :)
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love cherry tomatoes. I'll eat punnets and punnets of the things (when they're not ridiculously expensive!) and find them really satisfying while also being quite low-cal.
  • karebrr23
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Look at this way, taking the time to stand in your kitchen and cut up all those veggies will just burn more calories. ;)

Seriously though, it really doesn't take that long to chop some veggies or slice some fruit to take along with you for snacking.

I actually prep breakfast and snacks for both my husband and myself in about 30 minutes each night. What I prep in that time:

For me -
    Measure out 120 g egg whites from a carton into to-go container
    Cook bacon, crumble bacon into eggs
    Dice 1/4 of an avocado into eggs
    Bag up to pieces of bread
    Mix up two servings of PB2 in a to-go container
    Cut and bag 100g of jicama or cucumber
    Portion out 85 g of baby carrots or snow peas
    Portion out 20 g of almonds
    Slice/Portion 90 g of fruit (could be strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)

For my husband:
    Break two eggs into a container
    Portion add-in for eggs (could be shredded cheese, sliced up meat, bell pepper, etc.)
    Measure 8oz of Kefir into travel cup
    Bag Kefir cup for containment in case of spill
    Mix up a flavored cream cheese
    Make sandwich with cream cheese and two kinds of deli meat
    Cut and bag 100g of jicama, red bell pepper, or cucumber
    Portion out 85 g of baby carrots or snow peas
    Slice/Portion two servings of fruit (could be strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, mango, etc.)
    Portion out a serving of pistachios
    Portion out a small, sweet snack (e.g. Australian red licorice, chocolate covered toffee bites, dark chocolate honeycomb, etc.)

Then everything gets put into two lunch bags along with non-prep needed items like string cheese and Greek yogurt and stowed in the fridge for the next day.

If I decide to make myself lunch, maybe it takes me 45 minutes to prep everything then, since I'll cook something from scratch to pack up for myself to reheat the next day.

So, imagine that if all you were doing was cutting up veggies, you could probably cut up enough veggies to pre-portion out snacks for the whole week in about a half an hour. :)