My friend is on a 1000 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• ashtonvv
    Options
    FIRST off, I have been an athlete all my life, I know first hand that if this person is doing what she is describing she is not eating enough to compensate for her workouts. If your body is burning close to 1000 calories a day with the work outs, what is left over ?!

Stored energy which is commonly referred to as fats.

SECOND, I have a friend that ended up in the hospital from eating the same way (athletic, 145 lbs, 5'3) eating roughly 1100 per day (even with her workouts and practices).

Don't know much about your friend and her exact diet so I can't comment on that. I can make up a true scary story though. Almost half of the adult Americans are obese and are at risk of type 2 diabetes and could end up getting their leg amputated. I personally think my story is scarier as it affects a much larger population and involves losing limbs.

As far as solid evidence, there are countless articles and websites promoting healthy weight loss, any fitness plan would not restrict someone to that unless there is a medical reason. Even MFP will set someone at a 1200 minimum (which is still too low for most people).

Healthy is a general term. There is no set definition of healthy eating in nutritional journals.

I also don't see any solid arguments from you either, other than calling me and another poster out on our "fear mongering" post.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/194142-risks-of-a-low-calorie-diet/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/278787-risks-of-losing-fat-fast/?utm_source=undefined_R1

The only real risks such as heart diseases and irregular heart beats from those articles are talking about a VLC-diets. Those are diets under 800 calories and not the 1k diets, as defined in your very own article. Even if it was true a VLC-diet, it can be manageable if done properly. Link below for an example of someone who did a true VLC-Diet and lived to tell the tale.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121060001&page=1

This is my last post in response to you, clearly you are a low calorie pusher which is fine, but you seem to be the only one on this thread that thinks this girl is going to be okay on this 1000 calories. I do not have to justify myself to a stranger on this site, especially one with your attitude.

I actually am quite familiar with diabetes thanks, it runs in my family. My grandfather lost 3/4 of his leg last thursday due to complications of a vascular surgery, from his diabetes. So thanks for throwing some salt in the wound. He is one of the many reasons that I have started this journey.

Left over calories at that deficit is not stored as fat, not sure where you got that information. You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE as I stated in my previous post.

Good luck to you, and I really hope you don't cause permanent damage to yourself or others with your choice of life-style.
  • Tabiiiiiii
    Options
    I do 1000 calories a day and love it! I don't need to eat anymore than that. We're all on a diet to lose weight right? Not fill our tummies. Go hard or go home is what I say.
  • LLEB92
    Options
    I read on the NHS website that its ok to be on a VLCD
  • froglaw1968
    froglaw1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You happen to be correct. Not only it is hard to get all the nutrients you need with less than 1,200 calories a day, but the body begins to think it is starving, and your metabolism slows down in order to conserve energy. She will be tired all the time, not want to exercise, and it will make it that much harder for her to lose weight.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is my last post in response to you, clearly you are a low calorie pusher which is fine, but you seem to be the only one on this thread that thinks this girl is going to be okay on this 1000 calories. I do not have to justify myself to a stranger on this site, especially one with your attitude.

Ha, you're the one who started the fear mongering contest when you said that the OP's friend was going to crash and end up in the hospital. I'm fine with people having an opinion that eating 1k calories isn't healthy or that it might be bad for them but when you start making wild accusations, that's where I draw the line. If a person is well educated on the pros and cons of a VLC-Diet then they can be perfectly fine doing it by themselves. VLC-Diets are recommended by many doctors and dietitians in America not because it's unhealthy for the patient, but because it actually works. Yes, there are some possible side effects to a VLC-Diet but if you know how to manage them and spot them when it happens you should be perfectly fine.

UCLA Center for Human Nutrition and Weight Lost Program
    http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32

I actually am quite familiar with diabetes thanks, it runs in my family. My grandfather lost 3/4 of his leg last thursday due to complications of a vascular surgery, from his diabetes. So thanks for throwing some salt in the wound. He is one of the many reasons that I have started this journey.

Then maybe you shouldn't have brought up some scary fear mongering story that would be impossible for me to compare to the topic at hand, and you are not the only person here with family members with Type 2 diabetes as I have one too.

Left over calories at that deficit is not stored as fat, not sure where you got that information. You need to figure out your BMR and TDEE as I stated in my previous post.

I think you might have phrased your earlier question wrong or maybe you phrased this question wrong because I really don't know what you are talking about right now. Your earlier questioned asked where the OP's friend would get energy from once she used up her 1k calories for the day and I responded from her stored energy, fats. I have no idea what you are talking about right now.

Good luck to you, and I really hope you don't cause permanent damage to yourself or others with your choice of life-style.

Someone on a 1k diet can always eat more to make any symptoms of a low calorie diet go away but Diabetes Type 2 is forever.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    1000 is too low. She isn't even obese.

So by your own opinion, 1k calories is too low. That's hardly going to convince anyone to get off a 1k calorie diet.

NO NO NO - its not by this persons own opinion its MEDICAL OPINION - of course doctors ansd scientists who are educated and spend years researching this don't know jack **** so its ok to ignore them :-)
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do 1000 calories a day and love it! I don't need to eat anymore than that. We're all on a diet to lose weight right? Not fill our tummies. Go hard or go home is what I say.

agreed.
  • davert123
    Options

you may not realize you need it but that won't change the FACT your body almost certainly does need more. Its ok for a short while but long term your diet will have a negative effect on your body and mind (which also needs sufficient nutrients to function properly)
  • davert123
    Options
    I read on the NHS website that its ok to be on a VLCD

please post a link - this is going against what people know so you should really post a reference along with the statement so we can check it out :-)
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

So by your own opinion, 1k calories is too low. That's hardly going to convince anyone to get off a 1k calorie diet.

NO NO NO - its not by this persons own opinion its MEDICAL OPINION - of course doctors ansd scientists who are educated and spend years researching this don't know jack **** so its ok to ignore them :-)

I guess you missed the part in this thread where someone talked about a friend's doctor recommending a VLC-Diet but I'll link you below to the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition and Weight Loss Program that uses VLC-D by their dietitians. Yes, I agree that it isn't the safest way to lose weight but it's not going to kill you or "permanently" damage your body.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    1000 calories of healthy food is NOT starvation. The body can get every nutrient it needs with that number of calories. Not everyone needs to be a glutton.

It is for a healthy weight, growing child who is also racking up exercise numbers in the high hundreds per day.
  • fiona2785
    Options

I guess you missed the part in this thread where someone talked about a friend's doctor recommending a VLC-Diet but I'll link you below to the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition and Weight Loss Program that uses VLC-D by their dietitians. Yes, I agree that it isn't the safest way to lose weight but it's not going to kill you or "permanently" damage your body.

I think that the post you have just responded to was actually sarcasm, and that the poster agrees with you. Just sayin'. :tongue:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    OP, does your cheerleading coach ever get involved in nutrition of team members? If so, is that generally good advice or poor advice?

If it's generally good advice, perhaps you could speak privately to the coach and, without naming names, explain that some of the team members could use some advice on how to properly fuel their bodies for competition without putting on weight.

While I understand that some folks are saying to mind your own business, you're part of a team. If you have a member who is going to soon be pulling down the team's performance, and whom you can't trust to physically support you or other team members (as happens frequently in competitive cheerleading)and is therefore endangering the safety of the team as a whole, you have to speak up.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options

When she crashes, or ends up in th hospital she might get off of it. Low calorie diets are such BS unless you plan on eating that way for the rest of your life.

I'll take my 1700-2000 calories per day, and my consistent loss over that any day lol.

Would be nice if you could back up your claims without fear mongering. Maybe a research paper or a link to an article that shows 1k calories being detrimental to someone's health? When you say crash, what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here but I when someone makes a claim, I would like to see some solid evidence instead of the same old fear mongering mumbo jumbo. There's a lot of misinformation in the fitness world and it doesn't help when people make wild accusations.

I'd say it's pretty obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of human physiology that for a young fit woman, who isn't overweight, to be doing regular intense exercise as well as a sport such as cheerleading on only 1000 calories a day is pretty darn unhealthy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Oh goody. A new troll to play with.

VLCDs are a poor idea for many reasons; first in my mind is the difficulty you'll have in consuming enough micronutrients without overhwelming diligence to every gram of food you put in your mouth.

Also please note that most Doctors have little to no training in nutrition - funnily enough, they studied medicine. A nutritionist is who you want to ask about nutrition. Funny that.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

I think that the post you have just responded to was actually sarcasm, and that the poster agrees with you. Just sayin'. :tongue:

It's hard to tell sarcasm through the internet. How do you make those smiley faces on here? hmmm :)

I just noticed there there are a few people in this thread doing 1k cal diets and below and just want to say that the most serious symptom to look out for is an irregular heart beat. It's not hard to miss, extremely easy to spot, and can normally be solved by adding potassium to your diet, via eat a banana.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

VLCDs are a poor idea for many reasons; first in my mind is the difficulty you'll have in consuming enough micronutrients without overhwelming diligence to every gram of food you put in your mouth.

Also please note that most Doctors have little to no training in nutrition - funnily enough, they studied medicine. A nutritionist is who you want to ask about nutrition. Funny that.

If you had bothered to go to the link i posted, it's from UCLA's website for dietitians.... Dietitians are licensed, not nutritionists. You got that backwards.

Link below to understand the FAQ between a Resisted Dietitian and Nutritionist.
    http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6713#.UEx5Uo1lR2E

The "RD" credential is a legally protected title that can only be used by practitioners who are authorized by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
    Some RDs may call themselves "nutritionists," but not all nutritionists are registered dietitians. The definition and requirements for the term "nutritionist" vary. Some states have licensure laws that define the range of practice for someone using the designation "nutritionist," but in other states, virtually anyone can call him- or herself a "nutritionist" regardless of education or training.
    Individuals with the RD credential have fulfilled specific requirements, including having earned at least a bachelor's degree (about half of RDs hold advanced degrees), completed a supervised practice program and passed a registration examination — in addition to maintaining continuing education requirements for recertification.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you can't appeal to common sense, appeal to her vanity. Would she rather weigh less, or LOOK LIKE she weighs less?

Eating the way she is, she's going to lose lots of lean muscle as she's losing fat. Which means she's going to need to lose a lot MORE pounds to achieve the same look.

Would she rather be mushy, larger and lumpy at her goal weight, and have to keep dropping more and more pounds and cutting more and more calories... or be tight, firm and hot, and get to that body before she gets to her goal weight?

I've done it both ways. I tried eating minimally to lose weight and I've fueled my body to lose weight. I lost the same amount of pounds both ways. I only got the RESULTS I wanted by fueling my body.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If you had bothered to go to the link i posted, it's form UCLA's website for dietitians.... Dietitians are licensed, not nutritionists. You got that backwards.
    Sir, I would, if you were not a repeat of so many crash-and-burn advocates that hang around for a while and then vanish off of the site after a couple of months.

As for Dietitian vs Nutritionists - error on my part using the wrong term, and I was referring to someone who was being sarcastic about us ignoring Doctors.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You can't do anything. I know someone eating 900 calories a day (and I know for sure she needs more than this, I've run the calculations, but whatever) and nothing I say will trump her DOCTOR'S recommendation.. The same doctor that put her on Phentermine and 20g of carbs a day. She's losing weight like crazy. But she said herself that she's done this before (and gained it all back).

Just like there's nothing you can do to tell someone who is morbidly obese that they need to lose weight. Or tell an anorexic person that they need to eat.

This is the type of misinformation that I am talking about. Why do you believe your opinion trumps your friend's doctor? Big emphasis on DOCTOR.

Sure "doctors" know everything do they?

The problem with Drs in general practice is just that, they are GENERAL practitioners, they have a broad diagnostic understanding of many human conditions but they are (unless they have postgrad specialties) experts in no particular fields.
    IM(not so)HO a doctor has no business "prescribing" a low calorie diet to anyone. It is their job to diagnose and treat IF they are qualified, and if they are not then they should be referring to someone who is, eg a dietician or nutritionist or both.

But this is all just a thread hijack, so to the OP I say good for you for being concerned for your friend's health. Is their someone else around that you can discreetly share this problem with? Someone who may have more influence on your friend?
    Just keep doing what you're doing, explain how much you eat and how it works for you, and keep being her friend. Turning this into an argument may just spur her on.