How much exercise is too much

Options
I recently started working out and watching what I eat. Currently I am working out about two hours a day. Is this too much? I have 147 lbs to lose any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    I think its hard to determine what is too much for one person because it can depend on what exercise you are doing and your current fitness level. You might get a heart rate monitor (if you don't already have one) and check how high your rate is during this time to see how much work you are actually doing. I would say watch what you are eating because the more you work out, the more you need to eat. You may work out for 2 hours and not see weight loss because you are not giving your body enough nutrition. I think its great you are working out so hard and determined, just make sure the exercises are beneficial for you.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Each of us is different, depending on how fit you already are, how active you already are, general health, etc. I say do enough to sweat but don't do so much that you hurt yourself or are in pain all the time. Let pain be your guide, as my doctor tells me.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot; about 25 hours a week; this is because I work as a ballroom dance and spin instructor, and I also go paddleboarding, road cycling, and sometimes out dancing socially in addition to work. I'm not currently lifting due to training for a 100-mile bike ride, but after the ride, I'll be back lifting too. Lifting really wipes me out a lot more than cardio. When I'm actively lifting, I have to cut back on everything else.

When I get tired, I cut back for a few days, make sure my sleep schedule is on track and recover.

Since you just started working out, I'd make sure that you alternate hard workout days with easier workout days and always take at least one, maybe even two days off. If you feel yourself getting run down--pay attention and cut back (taking some vitamin C and olive leaf extract helps too).

Many people start out gung-ho and then overtrain before they realize what's happening. Once that happens it might take a week or two to recover, during which time the motivation may slip away.

Better to play it safe so you don't overdo.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly, It doesn't matter how long you're at the gym. What matters more is what you do while you're there. You can ride a slow stationary bike for 4 hours, or you can go hard in a spin class for 20 mins. Which one do you think will give you the better workout?

On a weight training standpoint, if your workouts are taking you more than 45 mins, you're either doing too much, or you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

I've worked with professional athletes who are in and out of the gym in 45-60 mins tops....including warm-up and cool-down.

My suggestion would be to talk to a professional at your facility to ensure you're getting the most out of your program, and look for ways to mix it up to keep it interesting and challenging.

Remember, the best workout is the one who enjoy enough to keep doing. :-)