Do you count your cleaning calories??

Options
Do any of you enter the calories you burn during cleaning? I had my hrm on from my workout so decided to track how many calories I burned while I cleaned up the kitchen and I burned 458 calories in just over an hour! I was shocked! I don't think I would eat those calories, but it might still be interesting to track them and to see just how many extra calories I burn cleaning. Maybe I'd even clean my house more. Then again, who am I kidding!? :laugh:

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I don't count them per se but I just upped my daily calories by moving my lifestyle thing from sedentry to moderately active. When I was out in the snow charting 5 gallons of water to animal pens and carrying 50 lbs of feed I realized that I am not sedentry. I think this is why I am always starving in the evenings. I will see.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    No... but, I don't have a HRM so I couldn't be accurate. That's interesting... I hope I burn that many cleaning, bc I do a lot of it! :)
  • zbtru
    zbtru Posts: 10
    Options
    I count them when I clean, and also count the food prep calories when I do it for more then a 1/2 hour. Anything that's not part of my "daily" routine.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    MFP has it listed under cardio if you do a search for it. I always count it. I huff & puff a little bit after picking up my daughter's toys & vacuuming. It's about 10 mins, but every calorie counts!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes count them. If I am too busy to workout, I consider a cleaning day with more than daily maintenance cleaning to be a workout.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I only count my excercise calories or if I work overtime at work I will count the calories that I burned in overtime cause I have a very strenuous job and OT is not part of my daily acvtivities.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set at sedentary, so I usually add my cleaning, walking at the mall...anything above and beyond sitting on the sofa and watching TV pretty much. :)

I do underestimate the times though just to be on the safer side. I just spent a good 3 hours + at the mall, but logged it as 2 hours of slow walking because the calorie expenditure for 3 hours just seemed too high.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    the only calories I count are the ones that I burn at the gym , or actually exercising. If I burn extra calories any other time ( like shopping, Cleaning, ect) those are just extra. In my head anyway...
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i dont ever count them i just figure im burning a lil extra, but i def do break a sweat doing house work, picking up toys especially!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    the only calories I count are the ones that I burn at the gym , or actually exercising. If I burn extra calories any other time ( like shopping, Cleaning, ect) those are just extra. In my head anyway...

Tami, I usually claim them because I've already eaten them. :P
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well you just motivated me to clean my house:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I count them! I also count raking leaves and walking around a store shopping. This helps add to exercise calories on days that I don't go to the gym.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I actually CLEAN my house so rarely, that I put my HRM on the other day while spending two hours scrubbing, vacuuming, dusting, walking up and down two flights of stairs. I burn 700 calories. So I subtracted 200 calories (as typically sitting at my computer I burn about 100 calories an hour), and ate every bit of those 500 calories. Then the following week, when I realized I was going to need extra calories because I underestimated a meal I had, I did the same thing so that I could have those qualities. Clean house AND yummy food :)
  • missy_braun
    Options
    I just recently started counting them after an exhausting short 3 hours at work. I do housekeeping at one of my jobs, and when I came home I wanted to see if by chance how many calories it burned. I was SHOCKED when I saw the amount. It definently made me appreciate my job alot more. I didn't work out any less that day, I just looked at it as an added bonus! BTW...I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.