Chinese takeaway confusion

Options
Having worked really hard for the past 3 weeks on my change in eating habits, I promised my wife we would have a chinese takeaway as a treat tonight as she has been fantastic support.

I appreciate it's very difficult to know exactly how many calories are in takeaway food, but the MFP calculator just seems to confuse things.

I was considering having a chicken curry, but my search provides results ranging from 290 calories to 550.

Has anyone found a reliable way of getting a fairly accurate calorie count for takeaway food?

I could take the view that having a chinese takeaway is such a rare event now that I shouldn't worry about it, but I would like to know never the less.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Having worked really hard for the past 3 weeks on my change in eating habits, I promised my wife we would have a chinese takeaway as a treat tonight as she has been fantastic support.

I appreciate it's very difficult to know exactly how many calories are in takeaway food, but the MFP calculator just seems to confuse things.

I was considering having a chicken curry, but my search provides results ranging from 290 calories to 550.

Has anyone found a reliable way of getting a fairly accurate calorie count for takeaway food?

I could take the view that having a chinese takeaway is such a rare event now that I shouldn't worry about it, but I would like to know never the less.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

If I'm in any doubt I take the highest value on the list. But have a look around on the net and see what the general values are for what you want. Good luck on your goal. :-)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i can't help with how many calories are in chinese food, or even what constitutes a portion, but i tend to go with the highest calorie amount per portion just to be safe.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1.) I'd say your right it's a rare event and treat your self

But also I think between 200-550 is a very low estimate .

Id struggle to make a home cooked version in that range without using oil or fats and a lot of the other stuff.
    I'd say more between 700 - 1200
  • ebony__
    Options
    I had look an a lt of the estimates on mfp for that kind of food are per cup.
    A takeaway serve (even a small) is a lot more than a cup so be careful there :)
  • back_to_18
    Options
    I recently reached by half way goal (having lost about 26Kg) and gave myself a treat as a reward. My wife and I decided we'd have Indian/Bangladeshi takeaway.

As a one off (after 3 or 4 months logging) I tried to eat "light" for most of the day and just didn't count that night's food.

At my half way point I've proved to myself that I can "do it" so I just let myself off for that one night.

I didn't scrimp on what I had - starter, main and side dishes - and put on about 3 or 4 pounds as a result.

However, after a few days I've worked off the addition and am back to logging and loosing.

To sum up - sometimes it's good to reward yourself (and your nearest and dearest) for all the work you've put in. (And, in my opinion, it will remind you how important it is to "be good" the rest of the time.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If I am honest, what I do is chose the one with the largest calories. It is better to overestimate than under! Also take a look at the measurements! That may be why they all seem so different!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options

Id struggle to make a home cooked version in that range without using oil or fats and a lot of the other stuff.

I actually think that 550 might be right on for about a single serving. Depends on what the OP is thinking about ordering.

All my of basic Chinese food that I make at home (mostly just meat and vegetables in a sauce) will be around 250-300 without rice. I then usually only use 1/2C of rice and then a HUGE portion of sauteed spinach and bring the whole thing in around 400-500 calories for the meal.

OP, if you are worried about calories, watch your portions, get extra vegetables instead of rice, and stick to simple meals that contain just meat and vegetables (not breaded and fried) in the sauce.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If I am honest, what I do is chose the one with the largest calories. It is better to overestimate than under! Also take a look at the measurements! That may be why they all seem so different!

I second this!!!
  • ebony__
    Options

I actually think that 550 might be right on for about a single serving. Depends on what the OP is thinking about ordering.

All my of basic Chinese food that I make at home (mostly just meat and vegetables in a sauce) will be around 250-300 without rice. I then usually only use 1/2C of rice and then a HUGE portion of sauteed spinach and bring the whole thing in around 400-500 calories for the meal.

OP, if you are worried about calories, watch your portions, get extra vegetables instead of rice, and stick to simple meals that contain just meat and vegetables (not breaded and fried) in the sauce.

You might be right and yeah depends on portion sizes and what you order but I'm still skeptical
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I would just go ahead and have what you want, enjoy it! Try and pick the best way to log it but don't worry about it too much, it's the scales that count not the logging. I have a big portion of chicken fried rice with curry sauce and prawn crackers every few weeks. I don't gain any weight but the sodium causes water retention that make the scales jump up for a few days.