Excess skin issues

Options

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Im a 23yo old mother of 1 with 60lbs to lose...I'm hoping that youth is on my side a little but I am really worried about my stomach area as its so ugly and messed up from pregnancy?
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Discovered this quite by accident but it is much better for rashes...even much better than prescription powder. Baza Cleanse & Protect. All-in-one perineal Lotion. By Coloplast. White and purple spray bottle. I ordered it through target pharmacy but have seen it online. like $10 per but I have had great results. Skin on skin rash used to be a big issue, one of those things no one really talks about. I don't think it was made for that purpose...
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can't answer about the loose skin but I swear by body glide: http://www.bodyglide.com/ for anywhere that might chafe or rash or blister. I use it on my thighs especially when I wear skirts and under my breasts/under the band of my sports bra when it's really hot and I have a separate stick I use on my feet whenever there's a warm spot that I know might become a blister. It's fantastic.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it.

According to research "loose Skin" is not what most people think it is. I myself was considering surgery as well but then I found out that unless your skin is paper thin (or around the thickness of the skin on back of your hand) then it is not "loose" but a layer of subcutaneous fat. If you keep loosing weight it WILL firm up. This may take a little longer for your skin to tighten IF you have been overweight for many years (like me). Don't go under a knife till it is 100% needed. Just keep of your great progress and be patient it will happen Without surgery. Trust me, I look alot better with pants on since the "loose skin" hides and you see a more toned looking stomach. It is annoying I know but the only thing I would recommend is keep going. If you want to help with the skin tightening in a more healthy and possibly faster I would say try mixing cocoa butter lotion and scar gel (I buy my scar gel at a dollar store for a buck) and Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Read this http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

This gave me all sorts of hope! Even tho I thought i'd given up havin hope!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it.

According to research "loose Skin" is not what most people think it is. I myself was considering surgery as well but then I found out that unless your skin is paper thin (or around the thickness of the skin on back of your hand) then it is not "loose" but a layer of subcutaneous fat. If you keep loosing weight it WILL firm up. This may take a little longer for your skin to tighten IF you have been overweight for many years (like me). Don't go under a knife till it is 100% needed. Just keep of your great progress and be patient it will happen Without surgery. Trust me, I look alot better with pants on since the "loose skin" hides and you see a more toned looking stomach. It is annoying I know but the only thing I would recommend is keep going. If you want to help with the skin tightening in a more healthy and possibly faster I would say try mixing cocoa butter lotion and scar gel (I buy my scar gel at a dollar store for a buck) and Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Read this http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

This makes sense and makes me feel like there is hope after all :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I have lost 105 lbs since mfp , total about 140 lbs and I had some loose skin but I am finding that since starting strength training it is tightening up and I really dont have very much left I am hoping I can tone the last little bit if I just stick with it. Right now I am doing the 30 day shred, I am only on day 5 so it is hard to tell how much it is helping
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This really will come down to an individual basis, not all will be lucky enough to not have intervention. I go in on the 24th for circumferential body lift surgery. I have done everything the right way, lost the weight slow (38 months to lose 311 lbs.) and have done weight training, lotions,hydration, etc.... But have quite a bit that needs removed, I have bouts with cellulitis and skin rashes. I need to take stock out in Johnson and johnson baby powder.... I put pictures up on my blog to show the before surgery, it is not pretty but wanted to document the entire process. This is just my experience....... Best of Luck
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good info, I have the same problem. I think I will try more strength training and keep at it. Thanks all.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ugh im trying to find the name of the product now, but I am having no luck. I saw an advertisement for these sheets of medicated fabric (looked like they might be the size of a large paper towel?) that wick away moisture and have anti-fungal properties, and it looked like you would put them in problem areas like under your breasts or belly and it would prevent exactly what you are talking about. I'm sorry I can't find the name of the product, but, there is such a thing.

http://www.inter-dry.com/
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ugh im trying to find the name of the product now, but I am having no luck. I saw an advertisement for these sheets of medicated fabric (looked like they might be the size of a large paper towel?) that wick away moisture and have anti-fungal properties, and it looked like you would put them in problem areas like under your breasts or belly and it would prevent exactly what you are talking about. I'm sorry I can't find the name of the product, but, there is such a thing.

http://www.inter-dry.com/

that's the one!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have lost 105 lbs since mfp , total about 140 lbs and I had some loose skin but I am finding that since starting strength training it is tightening up and I really dont have very much left I am hoping I can tone the last little bit if I just stick with it. Right now I am doing the 30 day shred, I am only on day 5 so it is hard to tell how much it is helping

Thanks for sharing.
    Im just starting out so i think I better make sure I try and do toning through the whole process, from what everyone's saying I think that might help me

( congrats in a great loss !!)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have to live by cornstarch
  • ktlynn447
    ktlynn447 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    if your physician has documentation of complications related to excess skin (rashes, open wounds, medications needed for treatment)... it is likely that insurance will cover the skin removal surgery
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    if your physician has documentation of complications related to excess skin (rashes, open wounds, medications needed for treatment)... it is likely that insurance will cover the skin removal surgery

This comes down to insurance companies and there policy. I have well documented cases of skin rashes and cellulitus and even knowing this they still will not pay for skin removal because it is still considered cosmetic.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options

You might be thinking of InterDry (tm) sheets. They contain an antimicrobial silver complex to reduce bacteria/yeast, etc. They seem to be a fairly new product and might be pricey.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be a great idea to donate skin but apparently it may not be true... Read onlione - (haven't checked through snopes.com yet)

Anyway, back to busting the urban legend thing.............

From the Shriner's Hospital website:

Q: Can skin from gastric bypass surgery be donated to children for skin grafts?

A: No, the only donor skin that can be used at the burn center is cadaver skin processed through a skin bank. Only skin from cadavers is used for skin grafts, because cadavers give the greatest amount of surface area – up to 10 sq. feet of usable skin for a burn patient. Skin that could be taken from a person who had excessive weight loss would not generate the amount of skin or quality skin needed to treat burn patients.

I HAVE seen products for under the tummy fold and for under the breasts on carolwright.com and drleonards.com.
    tummy liner - http://www.drleonards.com/search/index.cfm
    bra liner - http://www.drleonards.com/Apparel/Hosiery-Intimates/Cotton-Bra-Liners/75642.cfm?clickSource=SEARCH
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!