Spin class...

Options
I tried spin a while back and I was in so much pain afterwards that I never went back. On Sunday I decided to give it another try, due to my bad knee problems, and it was a totally different experience! I feel so good and was not in much pain this time at all. Probably due to a significant weight loss since the last time I tried it and the fact that my butt is smaller...HA! Now, I can't wait to go to spin! It is an awesome workout! I would recommend it to anyone! :glasses:

Replies

• loriguegel
    Options
    I tried spin a while back and I was in so much pain afterwards that I never went back. On Sunday I decided to give it another try, due to my bad knee problems, and it was a totally different experience! I feel so good and was not in much pain this time at all. Probably due to a significant weight loss since the last time I tried it and the fact that my butt is smaller...HA! Now, I can't wait to go to spin! It is an awesome workout! I would recommend it to anyone! :glasses:

I've always wanted to try it. How long do the classes usually last? The gym I currently go to, doesn't offer them, but they will be relocating and will have it then. I can't wait to try it!! I little intimiated though. I always hear it such a great work out....
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    The classes are usually an hour in length. At my gym they offer a 20 intro class where they show people how to set up the bikes and then they peddle a little bit. If they don't offer something like this make sure and get to class early and tell the instructor you need help setting up the bike. The seat height is important. I would recommend getting a pair of bike shorts with the padding in the butt. Something else you can do is get one of those gel seat covers to slip over the seat. After a few classes you get used to the seat. It is a great workout.
  • Jenspo
    Jenspo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am a spin instructor and classes typically run 45-60 min depending on the gym. It is a great workout-mostly because it challenges your body in a way it isn't used to everyday.-so a great way to change it up and cross-train. However, if you only did spin everyday as your workout, your body would get used to it and eventually you would plateau and stop making progress. The key is to keep changing it up with different types of cardio (spin, run/walk, elliptical, swim, stairs, etc). It is the same concept of why interval training is so successful and shows proven results. Anyways, don't be intimidated or give up after one try. Every class and instructor is different. One tip is to make sure you are using proper form and go at your own pace. If it is your first time, you control the resisitance-do your best to keep up with the instructor, but you can always adjust it if you aren't at that level yet. Keep it up and good luck!
  • MDnns
    MDnns Posts: 18
    Options
    Spin classes are great for calorie burning. The classes I take usually burn 500-600 calories for a 45 minute class.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    They are also great all-level classes because you can really go to your own speed and heart rate but still keep up with the class.
  • SherryBaby66
    Options
    Funny how you post this..The first time i did spin, i HAD to get off the bike after alittle while..I SWORE I wouldnt do it again..Then I lost another 50-60 pounds and tried it again..it was so much easier, yes, my *kitten* still hurt, but not as bad as the first time..Sooo
    Im going to another spinning class tomorrow..I dread it..but I know its great excersize for you..burn up 800-1000 calories in a 40 min workout, Cant be that!

301699.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    As I continue on this new lifestyle I find myself focusing more on challenging my limits rather than concentrating on the number on the scale. I did my first half marathon in Oct which was awesome! After that I decided to try spinning since I've always found it to be really intimidating. So I decided I would make myself go to a spin class once a week. I thought I was going to die after the first class (and really who puts a spin class room upstairs so you have to walk down steep steel stairs afterwards?). But I loved it. It is such a good workout and gives me such a high afterwords. And I don't think I have ever sweat that much in a class before. When I do it I am dripping with sweat. Even my wrists and hands get sweaty making it hard to hold onto the handles. By the end of each class I am exhausted to the point of wanting to cry. But when it is done I feel pride, relief and such a rush.

I am totally hooked.
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree. Spin class is totally addictive once you get past the bike set up and learning the instructors lingo. Good for you. I also like that it uses bigger muscle groups and I feel like I can get more out of the same amount of time exercising compared to other activities. The class format is a definite boost to my intensity levels.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I've ALWAYS wanted to do this.

theres a gym by my house that has them everyday at 9:30.

I never thought about my butt though, that'd kill.

I used to bike everywhere, so it might not be that bad.

I really want to try it though !
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I got a gel seat cover for Xmas this year!
  • faymom
    faymom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first class. My personal trainer challenged me to 20 minutes but stayed the whole class due to the embarrassed of leaving before it was over. I controlled the tension in the bike and was not embarrassed about doing an "easier" version. The calorie burn was awesome and the music was motivational. What I want to know from you all SPINNERS, - how bad is my butt going to ache?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it if you're going at a lower lever than everyone else...no one will even notice! At least, I wouldn't! I'm too busy trying not to pass out to know what other people are doing! :laugh:
  • thecheese
    thecheese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As I continue on this new lifestyle I find myself focusing more on challenging my limits rather than concentrating on the number on the scale. I did my first half marathon in Oct which was awesome! After that I decided to try spinning since I've always found it to be really intimidating. So I decided I would make myself go to a spin class once a week. I thought I was going to die after the first class (and really who puts a spin class room upstairs so you have to walk down steep steel stairs afterwards?). But I loved it. It is such a good workout and gives me such a high afterwords. And I don't think I have ever sweat that much in a class before. When I do it I am dripping with sweat. Even my wrists and hands get sweaty making it hard to hold onto the handles. By the end of each class I am exhausted to the point of wanting to cry. But when it is done I feel pride, relief and such a rush.

I am totally hooked.
    That is totally hilarious I can so relate! I did my first spin class today! Wow what a workout! I picked a bike far from the door and had to get up off the bike to get the paper towel cleanup gear...trying not to fall down the whole way in front of the whole class...then down two flights...you got to be kidding me! I'll be back though...next time I'm going to get the bike close to the door though :)
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It is so good to hear about so many people trying spin for the first time AND the spin instructor...awesome! I hope everyone is liking it and is totally hooked...now I'm onto boot camp workouts...man those are tough!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We're gonna go down and try it tomorrow I think. We have our gel butt seat covers all ready!
  • triciabecerra
    triciabecerra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i love the spin class!! i want to sign up to 24 hour fitness . i did the free pass for the week. i loved it!! i am looking forward to signing up!!
  • h3ktlk
    h3ktlk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Took my first 40 min spin class, overall not bad at all, only thing thats sore is def my butt.. makes you look forward to those hill climbs tho!