How much does beer weigh?

Options
KatWood
KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
And I don't mean how many pounds will I put on if I drink a 6-pack. I have been in Calgary this week and tried a fabulous new local beer, Big Rock Winter Spice. It has hints of cinnamon and nutmeg in it. It's awesome. I bought 2 six packs to bring home to Ontario with me, but I'm concerned about the extra weight it will add to my luggage. Can anyone tell me how much a full bottle of beer weighs? I need to decide whether or not to split it out into two bags or if I should have a few tonight to lighten the load

Replies

• dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    the ounces should be on the beer. an average bottle of beer is 12oz.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If I had a six pack here with me I would weigh it on my scale, but I'm at work and don't have the beer....sorry.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    a beer is 12 fluid onces that does not mean it weighs 12 oz and if it did there is the still the weigt of the bottle.

Each litre of beer will weigh 1 Killogram, then you have to add the weight of the bottles. 12 beer x 341= approx 4 Litres, therefore 4 kilos (8.8 pounds) plus the bottles. You are probably looking at around 10 to 12 pounds, hope this helps.
  • KatWood
    Options
    Yup that helps. When I tried to do the math I got about 11lbs. So I should be ok. I guess it just felt heavier when I was carrying the 2 six packs back to the hotel.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Um, are you flying? Eee gads, don't put liquid in a suit case if you are. Have you seen how they handle the bags at the airports. Disregard this if you aren't flying.
  • KatWood
    Options
    I am flying. My plan was to wrap each bottle in clothes.
    Do you still think they will get broken? I can put them in a separate bag and have it marked as fragile.
    I've already bought them so unless I want to try to drink 12 beers tonight, alone, I have to bring them home.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I am flying. My plan was to wrap each bottle in clothes.
    Do you still think they will get broken? I can put them in a separate bag and have it marked as fragile.
    I've already bought them so unless I want to try to drink 12 beers tonight, alone, I have to bring them home.

personally, I would ship them with fragile. My wife works for a company that does air freight, the stories I hear, ugh, they're pretty bad.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My nephew tried to bring beer back from Germany, that was one stinky piece of luggage! I'd only do it if you have bubble wrap and plastic bags. Good luck! it sounds like a nice Christmas beer!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    besides what the ground crew will do with luggage, you have to remember, the altitude change could cause the beer to explode, depending on how well they do their bottling process. So it may not even matter how well you wrap it up.