weight gain when upping cals

Options
I was recently eating below my BMR most of the time, once a week or so I would get above it. Now I'm trying to eat above it every day. I been doing it for about 3 days & my weight went up 2.2lbs. Is this normal? Will it go away?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If your weight went up that fast in two days, it has to be water weight gain.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    If your weight went up that fast in two days, it has to be water weight gain.

My weigh in was Monday. I started upping my cals on Thursday, but idk what I weighed then, prob the same, cuz I hadn't been been eating enough to gain. I still feel like I'm not enough to gain fat, but it really worries me. I even feel fatter.
  • UglyButInShape
    Options
    If you increase your caloric intake without increasing exercise volume, then yes it is normal to gain weight. That fast of weight gain is, like posted above probably just water weight. You could also just have to poop.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well you're likely to see that gain indefinitely until you lose more--more food = more mass in your intestines. You're never completely empty so at any given time you're likely to have more bulk inside of you than when you were eating less.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 weeks in a row after increasing my calories, then I started losing and I've lost a nice amount (0.6-1.9) every week since then.

I've read many posts here that say about the same thing.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 weeks in a row after increasing my calories, then I started losing and I've lost a nice amount (0.6-1.9) every week since then.

Thats extremely assuring!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Considering you need to be eating 3500 calories above your present maintenance range to gain 1 lb of actual fat, I doubt you are creating the type of environment to initiate that kind of change. You gain water weight as you increase calories since you need more water to assist in food metabolism. At first your body holds on to a little extra but it will stabilize once you approach present maintenance.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally I've gained a few lbs since upping my calories 7 weeks ago. I'm hoping to stabilize then start losing!
  • kjw1031
    Options

Thats extremely assuring!

:smile:

I vowed to give it a good month, no matter what I saw on the scale. It's working for me and this number of calories is sustainable indefinitely.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Just started upping my calories and am up 3-4 pounds since Wednesday! I'm hoping they are temporary like everyone keeps saying....
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I gained at first when I started upping my calories, but over the last 3 weeks I've lost 5 lbs. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, if you start to up your calories, you can gain some weight while your body adjusts and then it starts going down again. I started with 1400 calories a day on MFP, upped it to my then-BMR of 1690 after reading the many threads and researching on my own and after a couple of days it looked like I was about 2 lbs heavier and freaked out a little like you. A friend told me to stick to what I was doing and it would sort itself out. It did and I ended up losing .8 lbs that first week, then a steady 1.5-2 lbs a week since then (just hit week 10 on MFP).
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So you are at the law end of a healthy bmi, you diary is hidden, and you are hitchhiking that you gained when you upped your calories, but didn't say what you upped them to. And now everyone is coddling you.

This is what irritates me about map. The issue isn't you weight, it is your body composition which directly speaks to your diet and lifestyle, not a number of calories. Call me a *****, I don't care... Until you open yoyourself to the truth, you are not going to see the changes you want.
  • kjw1031
    Options
    So you are at the law end of a healthy bmi, you diary is hidden, and you are hitchhiking that you gained when you upped your calories, but didn't say what you upped them to. And now everyone is coddling you.

This is what irritates me about map. The issue isn't you weight, it is your body composition which directly speaks to your diet and lifestyle, not a number of calories. Call me a *****, I don't care... Until you open yoyourself to the truth, you are not going to see the changes you want.

You seem easily irritated. Do you need to increase your calories?

If you do so, be aware that you might have an initial gain before you start losing.

:tongue:
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake has nothing to do with my lack of patience for stupid behavior, or other people's tolerance of it. Alcohol consumption may however, have something to do with both my lack of a filter and my atrocious typing errors.

Fact remains, she like many others here, is under fueling her body and acting surprising when her body retaliates. And instead of the community giving her a wake up call, everyone offers fluffy b.s. support.

But go ahead, turn it around on me, I can take it. I long ago gave up caring what strangers thought of me. If speaking the harsh truth gets someone to rethink their behavior, then it is worth it. Even if that means I'm not liked.
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake has nothing to do with my lack of patience for stupid behavior, or other people's tolerance of it. Alcohol consumption may however, have something to do with both my lack of a filter and my atrocious typing errors.

Fact remains, she like many others here, is under fueling her body and acting surprising when her body retaliates. And instead of the community giving her a wake up call, everyone offers fluffy b.s. support.

But go ahead, turn it around on me, I can take it. I long ago gave up caring what strangers thought of me. If speaking the harsh truth gets someone to rethink their behavior, then it is worth it. Even if that means I'm not liked.

So... Let's for 'sanity's sake" say you are bloody drunk right now... moving on... Where do you get off? Seriously! I'm wondering if you have ever once thought that: PEOPLE DONT ALWAYS KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEIR DIET & SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH A PROCESS OF TRIAL AND ERROR TO FIGURE IT OUT ?>??????

Just because her diary is closed, she doesnt state her upped caloric intake (which she should to help us) doesn't mean she is hitchhiking, or being almost troll like (because that is where your intolerance is leaning in my opinion).

ORIGINAL POSTER: Gaining will happen when you UP your calories. I just had it happen. I gave myself ONE MONTH to see if I was eating too low, and within 2 weeks I dropped 2 inches and 2 lbs. I'm well on my way (I think) now, and hope to see it continue. Please do not pay any attention to people who's sole purpose is to cause upset because their brain is in their *$$.

Enjoy the day! Eat. And live :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Continuous heavy deficit > depleted glycogen stores > eat more > refill glycogen stores > glycogen holds water.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Not according to "The Reverse Taper Diet " :

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

Oddly enough, it seems as though some obese people have an unbelievable amount of fat available as a fuel, but a lower ability to burn that fat, whereas as they get leaner, they have less and less fat available as a fuel, but a greater and greater ability to burn the fat they do have. So at extreme levels of leanness, it is the fat availability that limits a persons ability to lose fat.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

Only you can decide calories, base it on how you feel and what the scale trend is doing, not what anyone here tells you to do. You can always gradually notch your calories up or down by 100 and see how you do. It takes some experimentation to find what works for YOU. What worked for the next person may not work for you just because it did for them. For the most part, if you have fat reserves eating more to lose weight is just plain silly, think about it.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I gained for about a week then finally started to see a loss. I wasn't in starvation mode because I could NEVER eat just 1400 calories. So, I lucked out with a quick turn around. :) So hang in there and just be patient. I bet you see losses soon. :)