Help me raise my metabolism!

Options
I did a little experiment last night and wore my HRM while sleeping. I burned on average, only 72 calories per hour. I slept 9 hours and 45 minutes! I now realize that I really do need to get out of bed sooner to burn more calories. My RHR is about 58-62.

Anyway, my question is: How do YOU raise your metabolism? I know that exercise does because my HR stays up after a good, long bike ride for quite a while.

Does eating more protein raise your metabolism? Any other food? Macros? Weight lifting?

Any metabolism raising tips are welcome and thank you in advance.

Replies

• bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. Bump
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I burn about 100 calories an hour doing nothing but I'm bigger then you. There isn't anything that "boosts your metabolism" other then eating a calorie excess and developing muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns while being inactive.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I burn about 100 calories an hour doing nothing but I'm bigger then you. There isn't anything that "boosts your metabolism" other then eating a calorie excess and developing muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns while being inactive.
    Thank you for your comment! Yes! I forgot about burning more with muscle. I cannot wait to start lifting in a few weeks. I bike for cardio but really need to build muscle or I'll be in the 'skinny fat' category. :(
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    HIIT! (Well, it works for me. And not under-eating.)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    These tips may not necessarily be metabolism boosters, but I always heard they were great for dieters/weight loss people.

Hot sauce is supposed to raise your metabolism temporarily, something with the heat index getting your system going.

Also cinnamon kicks up your metabolism, while watching the Doctors one day one of them said he uses cinnamon on everything to help with his metabolism.

And water gets your metabolism going, an 8oz glass of water right when you wake up burns 100 calories (I think). That's also why we're told to drink drink drink it makes you feel full and keeps your metabolism going strong by providing water for cell turnover and repair.

Full disclosure these are all from my memory and if anyone has actual proof of these statements then I welcome it! =)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    These tips may not necessarily be metabolism boosters, but I always heard they were great for dieters/weight loss people.

Hot sauce is supposed to raise your metabolism temporarily, something with the heat index getting your system going.

Also cinnamon kicks up your metabolism, while watching the Doctors one day one of them said he uses cinnamon on everything to help with his metabolism.

And water gets your metabolism going, an 8oz glass of water right when you wake up burns 100 calories (I think). That's also why we're told to drink drink drink it makes you feel full and keeps your metabolism going strong by providing water for cell turnover and repair.

Full disclosure these are all from my memory and if anyone has actual proof of these statements then I welcome it! =)

None of this is true.
  • UglyButInShape
    Options
    Go buy some Niacin at a vitamin store. It always makes me sweat whenever I take it. Im in pretty good shape too so I can only imagine what itll do for you. Good luck!
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from Health Magazine:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20620968,00.html

Actually, they do mention spicey foods. I've read that before. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you are into vitamins, there are some studies that indicate Vitamin B-12 can help increase your metabolism. It is a water soluable vitamin, so if you get more than your body needs, it will flush it out. Also, in a recent magazine issue of First magazine a weight loss doctor recommended CLA (Tonalin) it is supposed to help block fat and increase muscle, which in turn will help boost the metabolism. But, all in all, exercise is still your best bet, plus you will feel more energized, even just getting 15-20 minutes more exercise a day.
  • hannaisthebest
    Options
    you can alwaya put a lil hot sos or like what i do put extra jalapeno on my sandwhich its a good way to raise your metabolism and burn more calories in your work outs!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and increase lean muscle mass. Although the increase in lean muscle mass marginally ups Resting Metabolic Rate, recovery after weight training to repair muscle tissue requires a massive amount of energy, thus a more active metabolism. Also, do not create too large of a deficit since it, as well as the duration, increases depression rate causing it to slow down.