The result of years and years of fad diets, I guess

Options
Lately, my weight loss has become increasingly noticeable to those who know me, both at work and out with friends. Inevitably, I will get asked some variance of "how did you do it?" I always reply with exactly the same answer: "By eating right and exercising." Lately, more and more people are saying "Really?! That's it?!" As if it's completely unbelievable that someone could lose 30+ lbs just by cutting out crap food and exercising a few days a week.

It seems that anymore people are unwilling to accept that real and lasting weight loss can come from something other than a bottle or some new radical method involving sacrificial baby goats and prayers to the God of Skinny. I can't help but wonder just how ultimately psychologically damaging it is to be bombarded every day with the five latest fad diets every time we turn on the TV or pick up a magazine.

Replies

• vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So true, and not just psychologically! I know I've messed up my metabolism in countless unnecessary ways by messing around with fad diets rather than listening to what my body was really asking for- sensible exercise and cleaner eating.

Congrats on doing it without sacrificing your overall health goals, and bonus points for not sacrificing any baby goats :)
  • relucas81
    Options
    Great point! I try to explain to my friends/family who ask for advice, that weight loss really is simple science, that it is not complicated or fancy, and they just don't seem to believe that. To me, the issue is that everyone thinks they are somehow unique, and that only some sort of crazy, bizarre method would work for them.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing from people. They swear I've had gastric bypass surgery or the lapband. One day I just literally lifted my shirt up and said, do you see any scars?

People are always looking for that 'easy way out" kind of thing and they get disappointed when they hear my response.

I always say "I'm doing it the right way" and then get asked "what is that". LOL When I say counting calories, macros and such with exercise, no one is interested after that.

I agree with your post 100%. Everyone wants a quick fix and not a lifestyle change.

What the heck is wrong with my weight ticker????????????????? I've lost 104 pounds not 23!
  • quelogrammage
    Options
    Lately, my weight loss has become increasingly noticeable to those who know me, both at work and out with friends. Inevitably, I will get asked some variance of "how did you do it?" I always reply with exactly the same answer: "By eating right and exercising." Lately, more and more people are saying "Really?! That's it?!" As if it's completely unbelievable that someone could lose 30+ lbs just by cutting out crap food and exercising a few days a week.

It seems that anymore people are unwilling to accept that real and lasting weight loss can come from something other than a bottle or some new radical method involving sacrificial baby goats and prayers to the God of Skinny. I can't help but wonder just how ultimately psychologically damaging it is to be bombarded every day with the five latest fad diets every time we turn on the TV or pick up a magazine.

So so true, i see how bad it is now and i imagine what its going to be like in 10-20 years time when my daughter grows up, i find it really quite scary!