Moving to a different state

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Europe.

:drinker:

Here, here. If i could I would. Germany or the Netherlands (but I guess I wouldn't be avoiding the cold)
  • lwagnitz
    bump
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    This might sound crazy, but hear me out.

DELAWARE

It is a tax free state. It is very warm there in the summer. It is near the beach, so you have your water aspect there. The winters are incredibly mild, but you still get a little snow.
    It is also close to lots of major cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, NYC, and D.C.

I lived there for 2 years and I actually loved it.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Monterey County, California is a good area that barely reaches the 80s any time of year. I've been here 12 years & LOVE it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Europe.

:drinker:

Here, here. If i could I would. Germany or the Netherlands (but I guess I wouldn't be avoiding the cold)

Why you can't? Why you no do? ;)
  • lwagnitz
    Monterey County, California is a good area that barely reaches the 80s any time of year. I've been here 12 years & LOVE it.

HAHAH, I only WISH. I could definitely NOT afford to live in Monterey County..My uncle lives out there. My uncle has a house that is smaller than my paren'ts that he sold for 2 million... ours is MAYBE worth 150k in Green Bay. Our house out there would easily be a mill.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Join the military. They'll make the decision for you. :wink:
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    We were thinking South Carolina, but maybe this sounds stereotypical, but I'm pretty left on the political scale, and my husband is Mexican, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel there :p.

Austin, TX...EOT.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    This may sound a little obvious but I haven't seen any mention of employment prospects enter the discussion. Yes, you can buy a house very cheaply in Florida but can you and/or your husband find suitable employment?

There's a bit more to this decision than climate unless you consider low paying service work (I know, better than no work) to be an acceptable (even if temporary) career path.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    A little more info:

Yes, I have allergies, pretty bad. Actually, horrible. The first week of summer I have to live inside, and going into fall I want to die. But, I plan on getting allergy shots. Also, I live in Green Bay, WI, and it is a person with allergies worst nightmare. With all the pollution and sick crap in the air it's unbearable, so I probably wont' take allergies into consideration (unless we're talking Gary, Indiana, but that's not whats keeping me from moving there lol)

I prefer to be in a state near water, and preferably even a coastal city/town. I'm in college right now, so wouldn't mind being near a college city. Growing up in the Midwest water has surrounded me, so I can't imagine driving more than an hour to be near water.

My husband's family lives in Northern Vriginia right outside of The Plains area/Manassas area, about 45 minutes away from D.C. I have been there, and LOOOVEDDD it; but way too far out of my reach as price goes. VA Beach area is nice, too. But hear it's crime ridden.

Just so you know...if you think the air quality in GB is bad...you might want to do your research on anywhere else you plan on moving. GB, and Wisconsin as a whole, is not bad as far as pollution goes....NATURAL pollution (as far as allergies go) will follow you everywhere.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Arizona :heart:

I second this motion...Tucson is a cheaper cost of living than most other areas. It's tolerable as far as bi-racial couples. It's got a strong employment rate. Crime rate is under control. It's warm, but you get used to it. Beautiful scenery...Phoenix is 1 1/2 away, San Diego 5 hours away...Vegas 6 Hours way.
  • I've lived in NJ, upstate NY, TN, MO and now CA. The only one out of those that I would care to stay in is California.
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    :tongue: Move to Long Island :)!!! its beautiful here and its RIGHT on the coast with lots and lots of water!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    OK, I have lived in a lot of states and South Carolina is my least favorite, it is a little outdated...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Europe.

^^^ This, except you might want to wait a few years for their economy to settle down. It's fine in some of the northern countries, but in the Mediterranean, where it's warm, things are going to *kitten*.
  • Im originally from PA and currently live in Florida.

Let me say if you have allergies....DO NOT move to Florida. There is something blooming all the time. Id move back to my home state except almost all of my family is down here so thats where I will remain for now.

Good luck in your search! :)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    South Carolina is WONDERFUL!!! It's really not all right winged. Sure, there are some traditionalists there, but if you stick near the coast (Myrtle Beach area) or around Columbia...Charleston is wonderful too!! Pretty much any populated area. My father is from SC so I've spent most of my vacations there. I will warn you that it is so humid and hot in the summer. I was there last year for memorial weekend it was already in the upper 90s. The winters are great though. I live in KS where we get all 4 seasons at full force, which I'm sure you are used to as well. So, a mild winter where it was 70 degrees on some days is great.

*getting off my soapbox*
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Stay out of the south entirely, except maybe Florida. It's a rightwing hellhole. I'm moving as fast and as far as I can. Plus if you have even the slightest tendency toward allergies, you do not want to live in the south. Mold, pollen, a dash of ground level ozone, miserable heat and humidity most of the year. It's hideous. I could write epic poetry on how awful it is here, but I'm just too worn out from the combination of oppressive heat, allergens, and rednecks.

(I exaggerate a bit, but I really do hate the south and I don't know why anyone would want to move here.)

Because we like it... and where I live (in North Texas... not be be confused with the Panhandle) it's a cheaper cost of living... :wink:

Back to the topic, I think in SC there will be some "liberal" minded havens there too... usually in the cities.... and I bet most people won't even bat an eye at your husbands race.... at least I would hope not.
  • lwagnitz
    Join the military. They'll make the decision for you. :wink:

Was actually going into the AF but I was dq'd because I have athlete's asthma.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    We were thinking South Carolina, but maybe this sounds stereotypical, but I'm pretty left on the political scale, and my husband is Mexican, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel there :p.

Austin, TX...EOT.
    I second this! Texas is a GREAT state...(but not a country like they claim) :smile: