Olympic straight bar or curl bar??

Options
I have been lifting weights on a machine and barbells and now want to start with a straight or curl bar and I am not sure which I should get. I do have trouble with my wrists so I am sorta considering the curl bar. Which should I get? Note: I don't belong to a gym and do all my exercise at home.

Ugg typo.

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, just commenting to read the responses.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on the exercise.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For barbell curls, I prefer the curl bar. If I had to choose one or the other, I would definately go with the straight bar. Only so much you can do with the curl bar.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Try them out at a sporting goods store, see which seems to fit you better for the exercises you plant to do with it.
    I do curls with barbells sometimes, and the the straight bar feels like my elbows are tearing. The straight bar, however, feels good when I do reverse grip curls.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    For barbell curls, I prefer the curl bar. If I had to choose one or the other, I would definately go with the straight bar. Only so much you can do with the curl bar.

I agree...if you get a straight bar you can load it up and do dead lifts and other work outs too like barbell press and what not....I am assuming that you work out from home or do you also go to gym?
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options

This is what I have been leaning towards, because I think I can do all the exercises I can do with a curl bar (or most) with my barbells. My one doubt about straight bar is how sore my wrists get.
  • slrrese
    Options

I agree...if you get a straight bar you can load it up and do dead lifts and other work outs too like barbell press and what not....I am assuming that you work out from home or do you also go to gym?

I only work out at home.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I would get the straight one.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I would get an Olympic bar and also get these https://strengthwraps.myshopify.com/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I only work out at home.

Go with the straight one then because you can do more than just curls with it. I mainly work out from home and have a straight bar...
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Olympic straight bar all day long.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Olympic straight bar all day long.

^ This :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A straight bar will allow you to do more in the long run. A curl bar is really only good for a handful of exercises, and thus your best bang for your dollar is a straight one first.
  • slrrese
    Options
    Thanks! You all have me convinced to get a straight bar!
  • slrrese
    Options
    I would get an Olympic bar and also get these https://strengthwraps.myshopify.com/

And I am going to certainly consider getting something like this if my wrists keep hurting. It is mostly my right wrist. Between pole work (pole dancing) and pushups, my right wrist gets pretty sore.