Stopped losing - a d v i c e ?

I posted a similar post to this the other day but didn't get much response, so;
I'll just get to the point -
It's been 18-19 days I've been stuck at 145-146lbs, I dunno what to do?
I've been eating within calorie range, I eat more protein and have cut back the carbs a little more.
I usually exercise 3-4 times a week.
At first I upped my calories to 1600, lost just over half a stone, then stopped losing,
so i mixed it up and changed it too 1350 cals, started losing on that and now I'm where I am.
I'm just stuck as to what I'm doing wrong, or what I can do to kick start the weight loss again.
My diary is open to view -

Can someone give me a little advice or help?
x

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    I hit a pretty hard core plateau right around that time in my weight loss, too.

I broke it by COMPLETELY changing my work out routine. I changed all my classes and work outs and put a bigger focus on weight and resistance training as opposed to cardio. I really think building up a little muscle and changing what my body was "used to" really helped a lot.

I think you're also at a pretty normal plateau point, so try not to get too discouraged. Hang in there, something is going to work and kick you off that plateau.
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    I hit a plateau around that time as well. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I went on vacation and didn't weigh myself for a week and a half. Tried to make good choices, but relaxed my eating quite a bit. When I got back, I had lost 2lbs and got back to a solid 1-2 lb/week loss. I've heard the 3-4 week mark is a common time to plateau.

Stick with it!!! "The only way out is through." :-)
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Google calorie cycling and/or carb cycling. Different ways to do it. Quick version is eat at deficit for3-6 days. Up calories to maintenance or slightly higher the next day. Repeat. Every 3 months or so, take a full diet break for a week or two. Don't go crazy. Still eat healthy, just up calories to maintenance. Keeps metabolism from thinking you're starving.

Every once in awhile I'll go real low on my carbs for a week (like <15% of my calories). It is no fun and not sustainable in the long run, but has kicked me past a plateau.

Up the intensity of your workouts briefly until you push through. Mix up your workouts. Try something different that requires your body to adjust. If strength training, try different range of reps or number of sets. If you don't do cardio, you can add some cardio until you punch through.

Mostly, just stick with it. Eventually you'll break through if consistent. These are just a few methods to speed up the process. Slow and steady wins the race.

Sometimes it's just your calories. Sometimes too low. Sometimes too high. Sometimes just not very accurate with counting calories consumed and calories burned. Don't estimate portion sizes...weigh them. There are studies of people that claimed they couldn't lose weight on a low calorie diet that when put in a controlled setting lost weight because they were underestimating calories consumed. Many people underestimate by as much as 50%. They say even fitness pros tend to underestimate by 16%.

Also, don't use the scale as the sole indicator. Use calipers, tape measure, clothing fit, mirror.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Thanks ladies, you've given me a bit of hope to continue and that it will end, it's so hard persevering through it though especially when it reaches 3+ weeks!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    You are currently at a normal BMI which makes it hard to lose more weight. The goal you have set yourself will put you at the very low end of normal. Your 1300 day intake is below your BMR. To maintain the weight you are currently at you would need to eat at your TDEE or around 2000 calories. Since your are already at a healthy weight your calorie deficit should only be between 5-10% of you daily expenditure (TDEE) what you are currently eating is a 40% deficit. When you have that large of a cut your hormones and metabolism adapt to slow down which makes loss even slower. look at this link to see how to find the numbers I'm quoting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Have you considered tracking you body fat% rather than a weight number? If you add a strength program like new rules of lifting for women or stronglifts 5x5 as part of your workout program and increase your calorie target and protein intake you will change your shape.

Take a look at the pixs on this link - look at the difference in shape for people at the same height and weight - fit and toned at the same weight looks so much smaller/better/buffed than not. Build muscle for a better look - at your stage in the game yo do not need to lose any more weight.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

There is a NROL4W group as well as a strong lifts group on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women