Bursitis Blues

Options
So, I just found out I have bursitis of the lateral bursa of my right knee :(

I've been training really hard this summer. I've lost 70 pounds and become a much better runner, biker, and swimmer because of it. In fact, I won a team triathlon. Placed second in a 5k, busted many PB records and have seen major leaps in my fitness and performance.

But this injury really has me down. I have a half marathon in 5 1/2 weeks and will be training for two triathlons starting a few weeks after.

So, do I have a question? Sure. How long has it taken others to get over this type of overuse injury? I am icing constantly, taking NSAIDs, and using NO2 boosters to increase circulation. I know that there is nothing more I can really do... But I'm really nervous as I don't want to take a lot of time off training. I have already rested a week, then I ran a 10k and, BAM, reaggravation.

So I'm thinking 10 more days, no swimming or biking as I had done the week before (while resting) with good nutrition and plenty of ice... Sound good?

Other than that, I'm just looking for some support. After my weight loss I am really scared to no be working out, terrified really. Plus, I just love to run and it's like missing an old friend now.

Anyway, thanks everyone and good luck with your goals!

Replies

• jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First off, major bummer for you. I'm sorry you are experiencing this setback.

Secondly, I had bursitis about one week after starting a workout routine to lose my pregnancy weight. I went to the doc, he prescribed a pretty hefty anti-inflammatory (after all, that is what bursitis is...swelling, in essence) and I was back at it in about 2 weeks. I did NOT, however, return to my previous regime. I took it slow, however you appear to be in much better shape than I, so you may recover more quickly.

I would definitely look into an anti-inflammatory script or, if you prefer, find natural anti-inflammatory foods/supplements.

Good luck!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would actually continue swimming as this is low impact. Definitely no breaststroke as the kick is bit taxing on the knees, but a nice, controlled crawl would be just fine. My doc actually suggested I continue swimming...
  • Jillian2128
    Jillian2128 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The docs said I had bursitis in my hip in march last year, (though im not sure if that's accurate or not) I had to take ibprofen for 2 weeks with no exercise, but that didn't help so I had to go to physical therapy twice a week for two months... It def felt better after that but I wasn't able to run without pain for a realllllyyyy long time. I don't remember exactly when though. Hopefully it won't be as bad for you.
  • JBHawaii
    Options
    I went today and it hurt to kick :(

I think 2 full days off will be good. Then light swimming and lifting. Then I'll move onto running again in 10 days or so... I hope it works.
  • JBHawaii
    Options
    The docs said I had bursitis in my hip in march last year, (though im not sure if that's accurate or not) I had to take ibprofen for 2 weeks with no exercise, but that didn't help so I had to go to physical therapy twice a week for two months... It def felt better after that but I wasn't able to run without pain for a realllllyyyy long time. I don't remember exactly when though. Hopefully it won't be as bad for you.

How bad was your bursitis... Severe? I'm hoping mine is just early stage...
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've got pretty nasty bursitis in my hip, and controlled rest is what's helped me. That, and icing. PT, and some NSAIDs also help. I'm also not nearly as active as you are, but I think trying to find a balance between getting workouts in and giving yourself a chance to recover is key. I don't know if that's helpful, just a shoutout to say I've been there.

Also, you're a badass.
  • kirstierose
    Options
    have you tried water tablets, i had it on my achilles tedon on my ankle,pain was so bad, anyhooses started taking 4 water tablets a day and bingo, couple of days later all good, after a week i stopped taking them but the pain and swelling came back so i took them again for a month.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bursitis recovery times can vary widely. In our PT clinic we typically see bursitis symptoms resolve in as little as two weeks but most likely 6-8 weeks. The bursa normally serves to reduce friction between tendons but if it gets inflamed it actually creates friction and in turn, more inflammation. You are already doing the best thing: ice. If ice and rest don't take the edge off, I would recommend seeing a physical therapist to test for muscle imbalances. Very rarely is a bursitis truly "overuse". Most of the time, it's a result of a muscle imbalance that over time creates stress in one area due to lack of participation in another. Think of a car that's out of alignment and apply those same principles to the body. Usually, gluts are the culprit. If your gluts are weak or not firing when they need to other muscles are going to get overworked (specifically the hamstrings). When that happens, you create excess force at the hamstring tendon and can very slightly change the angle at which those same forces will be applied across the bursa - hence, inflammation of the bursa. In such a case, the bursa is not the real problem and no matter how much you ice the bursa the pain will come back with re-entry into activity. I'm not saying it is your gluts causing the bursitis, just an example of how something else in the chain can cause the bursitis.

If you're not already doing it, I suggest stretching at least 10 minutes AFTER your exercise routine. Make sure you hit the hamstrings, quads, TFL (attaches into your IT Band), and piriformis. You can google stretches for each and find what works for you. A foam roller for the ITB is also helpful. In addition, possibly focus in on glut, hip, and core strengthening as those are the most typical muscle imbalances. If you consider yourself to have good core strength google exercises for transverse abdominus (it's not your rectus that gives you the most stability). Another common one is the inner thigh/adductors, especially if your bursitis is lateral. Ice and rest will help calm the bursa down, but muscle balance is what you need to keep it that way and 90% of the time, that's what causes a bursitis - especially as you become more active.
  • JBHawaii
    Options
    have you tried water tablets, i had it on my achilles tedon on my ankle,pain was so bad, anyhooses started taking 4 water tablets a day and bingo, couple of days later all good, after a week i stopped taking them but the pain and swelling came back so i took them again for a month.

Do you mean a diuretic?
  • JBHawaii
    Options
    Bursitis recovery times can vary widely. In our PT clinic we typically see bursitis symptoms resolve in as little as two weeks but most likely 6-8 weeks. The bursa normally serves to reduce friction between tendons but if it gets inflamed it actually creates friction and in turn, more inflammation. You are already doing the best thing: ice. If ice and rest don't take the edge off, I would recommend seeing a physical therapist to test for muscle imbalances. Very rarely is a bursitis truly "overuse". Most of the time, it's a result of a muscle imbalance that over time creates stress in one area due to lack of participation in another. Think of a car that's out of alignment and apply those same principles to the body. Usually, gluts are the culprit. If your gluts are weak or not firing when they need to other muscles are going to get overworked (specifically the hamstrings). When that happens, you create excess force at the hamstring tendon and can very slightly change the angle at which those same forces will be applied across the bursa - hence, inflammation of the bursa. In such a case, the bursa is not the real problem and no matter how much you ice the bursa the pain will come back with re-entry into activity. I'm not saying it is your gluts causing the bursitis, just an example of how something else in the chain can cause the bursitis.

If you're not already doing it, I suggest stretching at least 10 minutes AFTER your exercise routine. Make sure you hit the hamstrings, quads, TFL (attaches into your IT Band), and piriformis. You can google stretches for each and find what works for you. A foam roller for the ITB is also helpful. In addition, possibly focus in on glut, hip, and core strengthening as those are the most typical muscle imbalances. If you consider yourself to have good core strength google exercises for transverse abdominus (it's not your rectus that gives you the most stability). Another common one is the inner thigh/adductors, especially if your bursitis is lateral. Ice and rest will help calm the bursa down, but muscle balance is what you need to keep it that way and 90% of the time, that's what causes a bursitis - especially as you become more active.

Excellent, thanks!

I'll add adductor abductor and glute/hip exercises over the next 2 weeks before I start running again. I guess I'll just swim and lift until the pain leaves. I'm just hoping that 3 weeks will be enough time to taper up and then back down before my 1/2...
  • Jillian2128
    Jillian2128 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

How bad was your bursitis... Severe? I'm hoping mine is just early stage...

I guess it was severe, I couldnt walk for more than 10 minutes with out having pain..it was pretty awful. My biggest mistake is when it happened on a sunday I just kept working out the rest of the week hoping the pain would go away on its own, so that probably didnt help.