I am signed up to do tough mudder on the 28th...

I am SCARED! In the beginning when I signed up, I was all motivated to get in shape and since the end of March I lost about 20 pounds...I am down to 165, but I still feel like I am not gonna make it. When you look at the pictures and videos of TM everyone seems to be in awesome shape!!! I mean they are ripped and have super abs. I am not there at all! I have 20 days and I am going to try my hardest to make some sorta progress. Is there anyone out there that has participated in TM overweight? I mean I am seriously intimidated!!!

Replies

• johnmcc215
    johnmcc215 Posts: 40 Member
    That's awesome! Good luck, always wanted to do one of those races.
  • Hey Krista! My hubby did TM last year with the fire department guys. The gfs and wives watched and drank hahaha. It is pretty hard core. Honestly though, I'd say about 1/2 of the people doing it are in AMAZING shape and 1/2 of the people look normal. Some teams run the whole thing, but plenty of teams (including Brad's team) walked the whole thing. The obstacles are pretty crazy, but what ends up happening is that the strong teams help out the not-so-strong teams. Brad's team ended up pulling a bunch of women over the wall. There is a pretty strong sense of community out there. I think that people encourage everyone to finish, they don't care about being first. Anyways, that's just what I saw at the Squaw one last year. It is pretty intense! But if you have a good encouraging team I'm sure you can do it. You can message me on FB with any questions you have and I can ask Brad if you have any questions for him.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Well, you're one step ahead of me! I'm in fair condition, but there's no way I'm brave enough to even THINK about doing it! So good for you!
  • well for what its worth i am signed up to do my first race of any kind ever on the 22nd (conquer the gauntlet) which is the same thing as tough mudder but shorter distance, 4miles- 30 obstacles and i'm not where i would like to be either but from what i hear (most) everyone helps everyone else out,it's more about teamwork and everybody wanting to help everyone finish the race more than wanting to win just like the previous poster said, so i feel better about it, good luck to you and have fun :smile:
  • Thanks Adrienne! I will let you know. I am just disappointed in myself for slacking off when I should have been picking up the pace. Hopefully my team wants to just walk it. :-)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Good for you! Best of luck! I've heard that it is hard and I chickened out....for now :)
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    i just did the warrior dash yesterday and that was tough. but i could have done the mudder if i had too, you will be fine. just have fun and go your own pace
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Good for you! 20lbs that is awesome. You are more ready than you think. Go with the attitude to have fun! You are more prepared and now it is get your head right. For me I celebrate you but I do not like mud on me so I am staying on as a road runner. Enjoy.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    I did a local one called an Army Challenge, same concept, it was only 5K but it had multiple obstacles and mud crawling etc. IT WAS AWESOME! I loved it. and I am probably only about 1/4 to where I want to be fitness wise and have about 40 more pounds to lose. I am seriously bummed because I severely sprained my toe yesterday and will more than likely be unable to participate in another one at the end of the month. I was so excited to do it again. Be warned...you may get addicted to them! lol

YOU CAN DO IT! go at your own pace and enjoy yourself. then sign up again next year to try to beat your time!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    You go for it :wink:
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Just go for it...you are still in a special category of people who have the guts to actually do the TM. You are far ahead of alot of people just by showing up. Whatever you do after you start it is just a bonus.