I've decided

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
New England sucks. I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing here that I can't replicate somewhere else.
Someplace where I won't freeze Steve Jr. off doing it!

And that's just the weather, only one aspect of a multifaceted fiasco that they call a state!

I'm convinced that the best thing we can do is rope this state off and use it to breed goats. At least then we'd get something good out of it (goats are ok in sub-arctic temperatures, right?).

sorry, I'm just saying is all.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You can buy foreclosures in Florida on the cheap! :wink:
  • HelloSunshine
    Options
    I moved from Pennsylvania to Tennessee a few years ago... best decision of my life :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Unfortunately, Senior IT jobs in florida are a bit like polar bears in Brazil. Not very common. And believe me, I've looked!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I'm in Illinois and I think its pretty miserable here too. We get the extreme of all the seasons. Though right now we are enjoying warmer temps! 42 degrees! Its practically picnic weather! :)
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Unfortunately, Senior IT jobs in florida are a bit like polar bears in Brazil. Not very common. And believe me, I've looked!

Always South Louisiana, we have good food, and the temps only get into freezing a handful of times a winter. Unless you don't like the heat, it does get hot as hell here!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Always South Louisiana, we have good food, and the temps only get into freezing a handful of times a winter. Unless you don't like the heat, it does get hot as hell here!

Another place essentially devoid of IT work. Sadly, I've checked, the only 3 places even close to warm that have abundant IT position is Silicon Valley (way mega expensive there), The triangle in Carolina, and Phoenix. And really, no offense to anyone in Phoenix or Carolina, not really two places I'm dying to go to. I guess I could learn a new trade, but... that would require effort, and I'm fresh out right now. 7 degree mornings have sapped all the mental strength from my body.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Ah lovin the Cali life....
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options

Another place essentially devoid of IT work. Sadly, I've checked, the only 3 places even close to warm that have abundant IT position is Silicon Valley (way mega expensive there), The triangle in Carolina, and Phoenix. And really, no offense to anyone in Phoenix or Carolina, not really two places I'm dying to go to. I guess I could learn a new trade, but... that would require effort, and I'm fresh out right now. 7 degree mornings have sapped all the mental strength from my body.

What about working a state job, there are IT positions alot of times.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Oh and what's snow? :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Oh and what's snow? :laugh:

Alicia, this is a family website, please don't use the four letter word here!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm working right next door to Computer Sciences Corporation as I type. But then, I'm in that triangle Carolina. And, although it's pretty here, I can't recommend this part of the state (Columbia). Greenville, on the other hand, is good stuff. So, I recommend checking out Greenville, SC. Beautiful, about as morally liberal as SC gets (which isn't very at all), and has a very moderate climate. Oh, and lots of IT jobs.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What about working a state job, there are IT positions alot of times.

Sadly, I'm pretty senior in the IT world, there are very few IT positions out there in the public sector that would even come within earshot of my salary, not that I would die if I had a pay cut, but especially in IT, if you take a monetary step backwards, you then will have to start from that level again if you look for another job. Plus, IT work for government agency's is usually anything but challenging, that and colleges, ugh, they're like working in a time warp to the late 90's (I was a consultant for a while, I worked with both on occation).

I'm just *****ing, I've already gone over my options with a fine toothed comb, it's pretty slim pickins out there these days. I could probably telecommute for my job, but they'd cut my pay if I did, probably by like 20K, survivable, but still that's a relatively significant pay cut.
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    7 degree mornings have sapped all the mental strength from my body.

I could handle 7 degree mornings. The other day we had a high of 9 and a low of -28.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

heh heh I live near the Triangle :wink:. While it's cold here, it's not unbearably cold. Today is in the low 40s.
  • TheBestMe
    TheBestMe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I dont' want to here anyone complain about cold and snow until they have lived where I do! North Dakota! But hey, when you grow up here you just expect colder temperatures than Antartica at times!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I moved from Pennsylvania to Tennessee a few years ago... best decision of my life :)

Moved from NY to NC - best move ever. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm working right next door to Computer Sciences Corporation as I type. But then, I'm in that triangle Carolina. And, although it's pretty here, I can't recommend this part of the state (Columbia). Greenville, on the other hand, is good stuff. So, I recommend checking out Greenville, SC. Beautiful, about as morally liberal as SC gets (which isn't very at all), and has a very moderate climate. Oh, and lots of IT jobs.

that's true, there are a lot of IT jobs there. Morally liberal sounds interesting in a scary sort of way. I've been through the area before, a little devoid of stuff isn't it? I mean, is there a lot to do?
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Where's Jeannie?? Maybe she can hook u up!!??:smokin:
  • Weste
    Weste Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You know...I live in Western Canada and it was -35 here last week..so I am not really feeling your pain. I like the cold more than the heat though. You couldn't make me move south. Hope you find something that makes you happy.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    what about West? I'm in Spokane, WA, not the best place for IT jobs, but Seattle might be more up your alley, or maybe Portland, Oregon? You'd have the rain to deal with, but you might like the West Coast better? not quite as cold, or so I've heard... My sister hardly EVER gets snow - last year in Spokane we had RECORD snowfall - and all sorts of new terms to go with it - like: Car-shmallow = car so covered in snow, looks like a giant marshmallow (which gets dangerous when the plow FINALLY comes around - saw quite a few cars with missing crunched up doors... and Snow Berm (spelling) that was like an evil troll on all the roads downtown causing accidents... LOL ;)