For those who have lost the last 10-20 lbs...

Options
nellyett
nellyett Posts: 436 Member
I have been struggling to lose 10-15 lbs for what seems like forever!! I'm 5'5" and have a goal weight of 130 lbs. I'm very active and do bootcamp 3-5 days per week in addition to running 4-6 days per week. What I can't seem to do is hit that 'sweet spot' for daily net calories to get the last 10lbs of fat off.

I've eaten less, eaten more, upped my protein and lowered carbs....lol Over the years have tried most fad diets, but still struggled with the last 10. Now I'm thrilled to have found MFP and my nutrition is much more balanced and is a lifestyle for me.

Would you please share what has worked for you in regard to your NET calories per day, and amount of exercise you did/do per week? Did you cycle your calories? Did you eat low carb? Did you eat any time of day, or keep it before 7pm type thing?

I know different things work for different people, but I'd really be interested in seeing which has been most effective for the majority.

Many thanks in advance!!

Replies

• hbaby2
    hbaby2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Stephanie2167
    Options
    I'm not one to really give advice seeing as I can't put down a damn bowl of ice cream (ugh). But I've only been about 10 pounds away from my goal. I'm 5'4" and 140. Want to get to 130. My question for you would be more what ARE you eatin to make your cals? Is it clean foods? etc. Good luck!
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Eat all calories--your body is freaking out a little bit cause that last little cushion is disappearing so you need to continue to FUEL your body so the weight will drop.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was ignoring the scale and going by how clothes fit, measurements and progress photos. In the two photos in my ticker, I weigh the same.

Also, eating at a tiny deficit (aiming to lose a half pound a week or less), aiming for at least 100g of protein a day, and regular exercise including heavy (heavy for me, anyway) weight lifting.
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I started out on aiming for just burning small amounts of weight at first. I barely weighed myself. I started eating fruits and vegetables and such so I could eat less, still get a good amount of calories but I'd stay full so I wouldn't be over eating. Then I would do some cardio exercise and really pushed myself when it came to that.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I got within 15lbs of my goal, down 15 from the start. What worked best was keeping my protein over 100g a day and lifting along with running and some bodyweight exercises. I was coming from a place of inactivity, though, bodyweight exercises will only do so much. Those who have seen the most success with losing body fat % (which is really what will change your body, regardless of the scale number) have learned to lift heavy 2 to 3 days a week and maintain a sensible diet they can stick with without a ton of restrictions on their favourite foods.
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump... to read later...
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I heard a nice story on high-glycemic versus low-glycemic foods this morning on NPR. Story is here to listen to or read. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/10/160757730/low-and-slow-may-be-the-way-to-go-when-it-comes-to-dieting

I also read recently that some fruits like pineapple, bananas, and watermelon among others are considered to have a high-glycemic index.
    Take some time to try new fruits; I know I am.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I heard a nice story on high-glycemic versus low-glycemic foods this morning on NPR. Story is here to listen to or read. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/10/160757730/low-and-slow-may-be-the-way-to-go-when-it-comes-to-dieting

I also read recently that some fruits like pineapple, bananas, and watermelon among others are considered to have a high-glycemic index.
    Take some time to try new fruits; I know I am.

Doh!! Of course I've started making green smoothies everyday with pineapple and/or banana!! I'll check this out, and thanks to all for the advice!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    set your cals to lose 1/2lb and eat back your exercise calories. patience is key!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My Journey
    2/27/12 started with myfitnesspal at 146 pounds eating 1000 calories a day

5/25/12 weighing in at 128.8 increased my calories to 1100 a day

6/8/12 weighing in at 126.4 increased my calories to 1200 a day

7/6/12 weighing in at 124.8 increased my calories to 1300 a day

7/20/12 weighing in at 124.6 increased my calories to 1400 a day

8/3/12 weighing in at 124.4 increased my calories to 1500 a day

6/11/12 started doing 20 lunges to tone my legs every day but one

6/13/12 started doing arm lifts 3 sets of 10 every other day

I walk about 25 minutes 4 times a week

9/3/12 started walking on my treadmill at home for 15 minutes at at time

I ate whatever I wanted. I usually have my main meal at noon and snacks throughout the rest of the day. I never cut anything out but I did however eat less fried food. Your more than welcome to see my diary. I am now maintaining :}
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    when I changed up my routine my body changed!! I started training for a NPC Bodybuilding show and started lifting weights and eating SUPER clean!!! I have lost 20 pounds in a little over 5 months.You might need a change in your workout routine and REALLY look at what you are eating.I have 5 MEALs a day.All my meals have protein in them.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have found that really pushing myself through whatever workout I do is key for me. If I'm not sore for the next couple days then it usually means I made little progress. Any exercise is better than none, but if I want results I have to push myself hard (not to the point of injuring myself though). Along with counting cals that's what does it for me.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was ignoring the scale and going by how clothes fit, measurements and progress photos. In the two photos in my ticker, I weigh the same.

Also, eating at a tiny deficit (aiming to lose a half pound a week or less), aiming for at least 100g of protein a day, and regular exercise including heavy (heavy for me, anyway) weight lifting.

The same weight? No way!!! Goes to show that photos tell a better story than the scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!