Citrus Intolerance

Options
I have been a member of MFP for about 3 years now. When I first started here I was eating absolute crap, no veggies, too many carbs, fatty protein etc. and I gradually introduced myself to healthy, nutrient dense foods. I started eating berries, organic yogurt, leafy greens, quinoa, just generally food that is healthy and that I have now fallen in love with!

Only problem is, I wasn't getting anywhere as far as weight loss goes. I was bloated with extremely slow digestion and I would often find myself with itchy rashes or hives. I struggled with this for 3 years and put it down to slow metabolism and the hives down to allergies to skin products.

About 3 months ago, I cut citrus and citric acid out of my diet and it was like turning on a light switch. I've dropped 5lbs without even really trying! I feel so much better, my bloating is gone and my digestion is now what I would consider 'normal'. I'm absolutley thrilled to be able to put a reason to why I was feeling so bad.

But now I'm a bit at a loss as to what to eat! I obviously have to avoid all citrus fruits (which is everything apart from apples, grapes and melon/mango) and foods with 'citric acid' on the lable. I was surprised to learn just how many foods use citric acid as a food additive because it is natural.

My question to MFP is; is there anyone else who is intolerant to cirus and what do you eat?!

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    How are you classifying citrus when you say almost all fruits are citrus?
  • emma_f500
    emma_f500 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was researching 'Citrus Intolerance' I learned that most foods have levels of citric acid. All fruit has cirtic acid in it, it just depends on the levels? Fruits that are called cirtus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes etc have high levels, berries and kiwi have moderate levels and I was told I can have apples, grapes and melon because they have low levels.

Even lots of veg apparently has it, such as tomato and carrot? I'm still learning :S
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeking the advice of a board certified allergist. Hives and rashes are an allergic response and not normally considered a symptom of an intolerance.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance