Vitamin D3 for weight loss?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'm chronically vitamin D deficient (and I spend a good chunk of time in the sun). I'm not sure why. I actually need to pick up some supplements but I have not noticed any difference in weight loss whether I'm taking it or not.

I think that in certain areas of the country, it doesn't matter how much time you spend in the sun because you just can't get it from the sun. I'm in one of those areas.
    Or you shower to much, or shower after sun exposure (this is how you absorb vitamin D). If you're looking into getting a suppliment, consider getting one encapsulated in an oil base. Vitamin D is fat soluble.

Good to know! I pretty much just take whatever they give me at the VA clinic. Can't argue with free :) (The booster supplements I take once a year are definitely in oil.) Not sure about the others but I do get a healthy amount of fat in my diet so I don't think that would matter too much (?). Haven't looked into it too much though I probably should.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I heard that Vitamin D3 helps aide weight loss (speeds it up a little). I'm wondering if anyone has or is taking Vitamin D3 and if they've noticed a significant difference at all in their weight loss?

Also, if you are taking it, how much daily?

I take 4,000 units a day throughout the winter (you can take up to 10,000 units a day safely--more than that, you should get a doc's okay and supervision). I take 2,000 to 3,000 units per day in the summer depending on how much sun I am getting (and I never get a lot because I burn easily). When I have my 25 OHD tested (the test to see whether your vitamin D levels are adequate) it is right in the middle of the healthy range. Researchers are discovering more and more about how beneficial this hormone is (that is actually what it is) to ALL bodily processes. I feel that it has likely helped me to lose weight because I am just a lot healthier with it. I hardly ever get colds or flu. Google "benefits of Vitamin D" and you will be amazed at all the beneficial effects from getting adequate levels of it. If you are getting a lot of sun over large portions of your body, you probably don't need to supplement (and getting it from the sun is preferable). Tanning parlors are not a good idea because they use lamps that mostly just put out ultraviolet A rather than the B rays you need to develop vitamin D in the skin. If you are getting sun, avoid using sunscreen as that disrupts the D forming processes in the skin. :smile:
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    I take it because I'm at a high risk for skin cancer and therefore can't be exposed to sunlight for very long. I've been taking it for several years now. I can say that only since the beginning of January when I started counting my calories and exercising on a regular basis did I begin to lose weight. So no- definitely not, at least for me.
  • SanteMulberry
    I'm chronically vitamin D deficient (and I spend a good chunk of time in the sun). I'm not sure why. I actually need to pick up some supplements but I have not noticed any difference in weight loss whether I'm taking it or not.

I think that in certain areas of the country, it doesn't matter how much time you spend in the sun because you just can't get it from the sun. I'm in one of those areas.

I'm in Texas. I'm pretty sure I should be absorbing enough vitamin D :) It could have something to do with the fact that I'm overweight... I have been losing weight pretty easily, as well (even without the supplements).

If you are using sunscreens, you may not be getting enough Vitamin D, as sunscreens interfere with the D-forming process in your skin.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    oh and i wasn't eating at an "extreme deficit" btw.
  • SanteMulberry
    I take it because I'm at a high risk for skin cancer and therefore can't be exposed to sunlight for very long. I've been taking it for several years now. I can say that only since the beginning of January when I started counting my calories and exercising on a regular basis did I begin to lose weight. So no- definitely not, at least for me.

The Australians have discovered that using sunscreen does NOT protect against skin cancer---probably because sunscreens interfere with the D-forming processes in the skin and Vitamin D actually has a protective effect against cancers of all sorts but particularly skin cancer.
  • Aviva92
    Liquid D3 taken with a meal has a high absorption rate and would certainly be more healthy than suntanning. Extended suntanning would be overkill given that, "spending just 20 to 30 minutes in the sun induces the skin to produce approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D, which is 50 times more than the U.S. government's recommendation of 200 IU per day."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294163-vitamin-d3-weight-loss/#ixzz2KX9babUW

huh, i didn't know that liquid D3 is best. by liquid do you mean gel caps? i had those at first, but now i have the hard pills. do i need to switch to gel caps?
  • SanteMulberry

Are you using sunscreens? They mostly eliminate vitamin D formation in the skin.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I heard that Vitamin D3 helps aide weight loss (speeds it up a little). I'm wondering if anyone has or is taking Vitamin D3 and if they've noticed a significant difference at all in their weight loss?

I wouldn't buy into the gimmick-e stuff for weight loss. Get enough D3, get enough everything, but don't over do it. Also, D3 isn't absorbed very well into the body in pill form. You're better off getting some sun. Also, D3 is absorbed through the skin and can be washed off, that's one of the reasons they recommend you do not shower after you suntan.

Liquid D3 taken with a meal has a high absorption rate and would certainly be more healthy than suntanning. Extended suntanning would be overkill given that, "spending just 20 to 30 minutes in the sun induces the skin to produce approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D, which is 50 times more than the U.S. government's recommendation of 200 IU per day."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/294163-vitamin-d3-weight-loss/#ixzz2KX9babUW
    'cause I'm going to trust a livestrong writer. And if you want to go by that, the same website states a different number:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/458399-how-much-vitamin-d-is-absorbed-in-the-body-from-sunlight/

Not to mention people on this thread are already taking higher ones and mentioned you can get into the several thousands a day without doctors approval.

Anyhow, liquid D3 is not absorbed as well as the natural stuff. But if you are deficient, you should ingest it. I'm pretty sure that's what the governments recommendations come from. The comment about the amount of vitamin D produced vs what is actually absorbed well be significantly different, especially since you can get rid of a bunch by rubbing off of things and washing your hands, and nowhere could I find the amount is 10,000 IU, Which makes sense, since it really depends on a lot of factors like strength of the sun, your location, season, cloud cover, smog and time of day along with sunscreen, clothes, if your in direct or covered, or through a window etc.

The government also assumes you're not a vampire and go outside as well, so I'm assuming the "recommended daily intake" is the amount you should digest aka eat. Not to mention the U.S. government decided their recommendation was to low and changed it in 2010 to something much higher by over quadruple the amount depending on what age you are according to the amount you listed.
  • Aviva92

I wouldn't buy into the gimmick-e stuff for weight loss. Get enough D3, get enough everything, but don't over do it. Also, D3 isn't absorbed very well into the body in pill form. You're better off getting some sun. Also, D3 is absorbed through the skin and can be washed off, that's one of the reasons they recommend you do not shower after you suntan.

'cause I'm going to trust a livestrong writer.

Anyhow, liquid D3 is not absorbed as well as the natural stuff. But if you are deficient, you should ingest it. I'm pretty sure that's what the governments recommendations come from. They assume you're not a vampire and go outside as well.

well, in manhattan where i live i can't get the natural stuff, so i'll stick with pills.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I had a significant Vitamin D deficiency a while back. My doc said it's the new epidemic in America. Our fear of skin cancer and all.
    She told me to move my sunscreen to work, and keep walking/riding to work and see. Six months later, only minimal improvement.
    She put me on 5k a day of vitamin D for six weeks and then daily regular OTC vitamin D after that.
    I've been able to keep my levels high enough for a year now.

I noticed NO change in weight loss (and all the other supposed symptoms).
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member

Are you using sunscreens? They mostly eliminate vitamin D formation in the skin.

Nope, I'm actually pretty olive toned and tan easily and rarely burn so I only use sunscreen if I'm going to be out in the sun for an extreme period of time (like all day). I can't even remember the last time I burned.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    tumblr_lxduwqBVEr1qd8bubo1_500.gif
    *poof* weight lost!
  • CoderGal

huh, i didn't know that liquid D3 is best. by liquid do you mean gel caps? i had those at first, but now i have the hard pills. do i need to switch to gel caps?
    It's not the fact it's liquid that matters, it matters that it's oil based, since vitamin d is fat soluble.
  • CoderGal

The Australians have discovered that using sunscreen does NOT protect against skin cancer---probably because sunscreens interfere with the D-forming processes in the skin and Vitamin D actually has a protective effect against cancers of all sorts but particularly skin cancer.

Interesting, do you know where I can find that study?
  • CoderGal

This, this and showering after sun exposure are the biggest problems I can think of if you are having D problems.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    my doctor put me on a vtamin D3 vitamin BUT i never take it... because i am bad and dont think of it as a necessity... BUT my vitamin D levels came up very low and i get alot of pain.. so maybe i should start taking it so i dont slowly die lol...

if it does help lose belly fat like someone said HOLY COW! ill take these everyday!!! lol because thats all the fat I have is in my belly... anyways thanks for the reminder that D3 is important... i better take my vitamin now..
  • CoderGal

'cause I'm going to trust a livestrong writer.

Anyhow, liquid D3 is not absorbed as well as the natural stuff. But if you are deficient, you should ingest it. I'm pretty sure that's what the governments recommendations come from. They assume you're not a vampire and go outside as well.

well, in manhattan where i live i can't get the natural stuff, so i'll stick with pills.
    Please do not modify other peoples quotes. You could get into a lot of problems in the real world if you started stringing a bunch of separate quotes someone said together as if they said it together. If you're going to quote part of it, or take out a picture, that's fine. If you want to quote two parts of it, quote twice. Don't go in and change what I wrote by take out some middle and end pieces so it looks like that is how I said it.

Also, I recommend switching to the ones in oil instead of the solid pill you're taking. It would possibly be alight if you had a higher fat intake, but on the 1200 calorie diet you're on, it may be beneficial to take the one with oil (since vitamin D is fat soluble)
  • Aviva92
    Please do not modify other peoples quotes. You could get into a lot of problems in the real world if you started stringing a bunch of separate quotes someone said together as if they said it together. If you're going to quote part of it, or take out a picture, that's fine. If you want to quote two parts of it, quote twice. Don't go in and change what I wrote by take out some middle and end pieces so it looks like that is how I said it.

Also, I recommend switching to the ones in oil instead of the solid pill you're taking. It would possibly be alight if you had a higher fat intake, but on the 1200 calorie diet you're on, it may be beneficial to take the one with oil (since vitamin D is fat soluble)

what are you talking about? i didn't misquote you or anyone else.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I'm amazed that this thread has gone 2 pages without this being mentioned- If you take vitamin D you need to also take magnesium. It's an important cofactor for Vitamin D absorption, and a major underlying reason for vitamin D deficiency in the first place. You can take 1million IUs of vitamin D3 and if you're magnesium deficient won't absorb enough. People get put on higher and higher doses of D3, when they really need a lower D3 dose and a magnesium supplement. Magnesium oxide is better than Magnesium citrate, don't take the dose all at once. Most supplements come with the dose split in several pills, take them a couple times a day for best absorption. If you take more than you can absorb, it acts as a laxative.

Other symptoms that can indicate low magnesium are frequent headaches, muscle cramps- often in the neck (sometimes even having knots that won't go away for months), trouble sleeping, fatigue, sometimes constipation...basically anything where something in your body is clenched and needs to relax.