What caused your weight gain?

Options
123457»

Replies

• donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I was moving right along a few months ago, I lost 13 lbs but on Oct 1st, I lost my job due to it closing down. I was in a mental termoil, finacial termoil, and really lost my motivation. Right now I am motivated again and I hope I can keep this motivation. Since losing my job, I have been unactive and I have gained 11 lbs back! I am really dissappointed with myself but this is a new year and I am going to get back on track somehow. As I have mentioned on earlier posts, I have a case of COPD, and when I am excerising, I feel much better. I not only want to look better, but I want to feel better. I also quit smoking for a month and then picked it back up on Dec. 20th, but I am quitting that also. Nothing like putting pressure on myself but weightloss and quitting smoking is a must.

Donna
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Growing up I was skinny, and I didn't gain weight until after high school, was in a relationship I shouldn't have been in and I just stopped taking care of myself, and was living for other people and not me. I was also around very negative, unhappy people and I didn't realize how much that affected me until they were out of my life.

Now, I'm so much more happier and doing the things I want to do and since I've started working out and eating healthier, I just feel like a completely different person. The old me is still around sometimes, but now I'm conscious of it and snapping out of the negative thoughts when they creep up.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My weight came on because of the simple fact that I got lazy and that I got older and my metabolism slowed down when I got in my late 20's. No other excuses.

It used to be REAAAALLLLLY easy for me to drop weight when I wanted to. I've never been over 135 pounds in my life until now so I'm pretty uncomfortable with it.

I have bad eating habits to so that has to be addressed. My body used to be able to metabolize whatever I ate very quickly but not so much anymore.
  • Cassandra1219
    Options
    with my 1st child i gained 90lbs ... didnt bf...... was depressed for a yr or two... then i had my 2nd and gained 40lbs... im 9lbs shy of being pre weight of him but havent lost the weight from my daughter....im married to a marine wth a very sweet tooth:)
  • pea26
    pea26 Posts: 23
    Options
    I blame Dieting!
    I really do. I have lived life either 'On a diet' and depriving myself of all things yummy untill i caved and the diet ended whith dreadful consequence of eating double what i normally would. OR i ate gluttonously at the weekend with the promise that 'Monday is the start of diet number 6million' ...low and behold monday arrives and i dont start the diet for some reason or other and that weekend of glutton is just hanging on my waistline.
    Silly lifestyle.
    I joined weight watchers before christmas and it really has been working for me, its not about dieting or deprivation of nice things, its just lifestyle changes that are really small but have such an effect on the waistline!
    Ive lost a stone now, and am hoping that i can live by the ww lifestyle for life rather than fad diet here and there.
    Anyone else feel the same?
    xx
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I blame a number of factors....

My thyroid going out of whack a few times in my life (hypothyroid, and finally on medication for it!) - gained ~30 pounds each time
    I quit smoking last spring...that didn't help anything!
    I stopped tracking calories and have 30 sweet tooth(s).
    I work at a computer 10 hours a day and spend even more time on one after work.
    It's much easier to flop on the couch at night than to work out.
    I'd blame having 2 kids, but I've lost the weight from them both times fairly quickly.

I've lost it before, I will do it again!! I just need to focus and be consistent...(I think I can, I think I can....)
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I believe it is "SUGAR ADDICTION" !!!!

No kidding! I am literally addicted to sugar - I have NO will power around sweets. I cannot keep them in the house. I cannot stop at one. It's worse than cigarettes were! I have tried quitting altogether but it was a disaster. I think about something yummy and get so fixated I have to give in!
  • Portcitymatt
    Options
    emotional eating while growing up, boredom, and way to much beer and pizza in college
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I really don't know how it happened. I went from a size 5 to a 14 in just 2 months!!! I did have a high stress job, drank alot of beer, and most of the time would just grab something fast at the end of the day. My husband joined the Army and when he was gone I lost all the weight!!! Now 1 1/2 years later that he's back home, I find myself starting to gain again :noway: I'm going back to how I used to eat when he was gone and trying to put a stop to the recent gain before it gets outta control again! :bigsmile:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Mine, is different....I struggled with weight issues, not really weight as a teen, then i found Meth. It ruined me. I lost 20lb and put it back on plus some. Got off drugs and back on again....its been a rollercoaster, but i am happy to say that i have lost 32 of the 40lbs that make me "overweight" and i have been clean since April 13, 2007! This is the first time in my life i have lost weight the right way! and i am determined to keep the pounds off! 2010 is a tribute to me! a happier, healthier me!
  • JessicaPahl
    Options
    having my second child is what caused my weight gain.. and having no energy to get the 25 lbs off because my mother passed away unexpectantly around the same time. I am finally now determined to kick these unwanted pounds to the curb..again. I did it after my first child with no problem...i just have to keep reminding myself that i can do this!
  • tanyashealth
    Options
    For me it was chronic, debilitating fatigue and pain. My activity dropped as I would become exhausted just shopping for groceries. Years went and I turned to food to self-medicate since the doctors had no idea what was going on. Eventually I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroidism. I gained weight, lost weight, then gained some more. Then, I began college and doing two majors with a concentration, have a part-time job, and my own business. It seems like I just have enough time to get my work done let alone plan and make healthy meals and find the time to exercise. For the past couple of years I was also in denial as to how much weight I gained until I saw a picture taken last Spring. My weight has held steady and now I am ready to add the components to lose weight.

I've made some changes and altered my schedule so that I can fit in time for meals and exercise. I have also decided to take a slow approach to exercise so that I don't "crash and burn" like I have in the past by making my fatigue and pain worse. I know I'll get more tired with the exercise but I am trying to avoid fatigue that is so bad it keeps me bedridden for days. So 10 minute workouts for now and see how it goes!

:flowerforyou:
  • bjjmitchell1
    bjjmitchell1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think my weight gain was brought on by two different life events my age is one. I'm 51 and have gained 10 lbs every ten years and cant seem to lose it and the other is depression. My twin sister passed away suddenly 18 months ago and I poured so much grief into running I had a stress fracture in both hips and couldnt do anything active for about 6 months, I'm now running and working out again but the lbs. and love of comfort food was obtained! So just now trying to get some control over my life and emotions again.
  • mswing7674
    Options
    I have always been overweight, as a child, as a teen and now as an adult. I have never felt bad about myself which is why I think it has been hard for me to stay motivated, but this time I am determined for no other reason than to just be healthy.
  • rudyroo
    rudyroo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a child I was "Plump" then at around 18 I was at my perfect weight and having a ball..............loads of energy............I swam , danced, travelled...............years rolled by and then the weight started piling on ...no reason really just laziness, ...then I met my husband and got "Slim" for the wedding....then disaster we bought a convenience store/deli too much temptation....then I got pregnant and had mad cravings for chocolate cake ( and I don't have a sweet tooth) .....had my son, only to find 3 weeks later that I had DVT, and of course could hardly walk, so excercise went out the window..........for months..... then we moved to France and ofcourse my biggest weakness Cheese.....SO NOW 50LB HAS TO GO!!!!! and only I can do this, but it's great having my Husband and 7 year old son behind me and brilliant having this website as support..................
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    Not exercising, drinking 5-6 fizzy drinks per day. Fast food.