Calling all Irish/Germans

Options

Replies

• reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am an Iriah girl and the most authentic dish I can think of would be Irish Stew...There are many variations but normally its nicest with Lamb pieces, Potatoes, vegetables such as carrots and parsnip and then an oxtail falvour juice...Some people cheat and actually use the soup and its still lovely but if you google it you should find the suthentice recipe...oh and by the way its yummy. What part of Ireland are you hoping to visit?

All of it! LOL I want to see Dublin of course, as well as Limerick, the "dark hedges" in Northern Ireland, County Kildare, County Mayo and a bunch of others. I really want to be there for at least 2 weeks. I'd love to hit Scottland while I'm in Europe too, but we'll see. I have an "official list" on tripadvisor. (=

Sounds good, Dont forget Cork and Kerry, especially West Cork that leads to Kerry also...There is some beautiful scenery and the people are very down to earth :)
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Yeah...if I didn't go to a catholic college, maybe.
    so..whiskey?

Then I guess you also think we are all leprechauns that live at the end of the rainbow with our crock of gold :D

yes

we are
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

so..whiskey?

Then I guess you also think we are all leprechauns that live at the end of the rainbow with our crock of gold :D

My aunt is like a fourth irish and she's short enough to be a leprechaun, lol, she's 4'10 (=
    I'm currently reading a book on Gaelic & Celtic mythologies, it's VERY interesting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

I'm pretty sure Catholics eat potatoes and drink beer ... lol They're kind of known for the drinking (I grew up in a Catholic family).
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Let me throw some German in the mix. Sauerbraten and spatzle. Both are a bit involved, but not difficult :) Good luck!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Hmm, I am as german as they come. Been here just for 5 years, born, raised, married and had my kids in Germany.

Unfortunately, the allrecipes does have lots of good recipes but hardly anything that is true german stuff. It's like with chinese food, it is mostly adjusted to the culture it is presented in.

So what kind of dish are you looking for? Meat? Sweet? Cake?

I don't like sourkraut and bratworst. LOL Not to sound stereotypical, but I LOVEEEEEE Cake and not everyone in the class eats meat so cake would be great! I could do Irish dish and German dessert.
    I would love to have my children in Germany, but I think my fiance is insisting on moving to Ireland. /shrug. I'll lose my semi-authentic german last name (Geiger).
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Hey there, I am an Iriah girl and the most authentic dish I can think of would be Irish Stew...There are many variations but normally its nicest with Lamb pieces, Potatoes, vegetables such as carrots and parsnip and then an oxtail falvour juice...Some people cheat and actually use the soup and its still lovely but if you google it you should find the suthentice recipe...oh and by the way its yummy. What part of Ireland are you hoping to visit?

All of it! LOL I want to see Dublin of course, as well as Limerick, the "dark hedges" in Northern Ireland, County Kildare, County Mayo and a bunch of others. I really want to be there for at least 2 weeks. I'd love to hit Scottland while I'm in Europe too, but we'll see. I have an "official list" on tripadvisor. (=

Sounds good, Dont forget Cork and Kerry, especially West Cork that leads to Kerry also...There is some beautiful scenery and the people are very down to earth :)

We've watched so many documentaries and seen and talked to so many people who are from/currently live in Ireland and EVERYONE seems to be extremely nice (growing up in the states I can't say the same thing over here) and my fiance wants to get us work visa's so we can work and live over there. I don't think there's much of a need for my career in eating disorder based psychology but we'll see.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    potatoes and beer

so..whiskey?

My aunt is like a fourth irish and she's short enough to be a leprechaun, lol, she's 4'10 (=
    I'm currently reading a book on Gaelic & Celtic mythologies, it's VERY interesting.

Lol I can imagine how interesting it is :D
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

I'm pretty sure Catholics eat potatoes and drink beer ... lol They're kind of known for the drinking (I grew up in a Catholic family).

im polish... roman catholic... and believe me potato and beer is not the only thing on the menu... this is how stereotypes are born.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish, German & English.

The only thing that I can suggest (my husband does all the cooking in our family) is to Google food ideas with the combination that you are looking for.

Good luck.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Griddle cakes (great when you have a surplus of mash)

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked mashed potato
    * 1 medium white onion, chopped into small pieces
    * 1/2 cup of grated mature cheddar
    Sprig of parsley
    1 cup of plain flour, {about 8 ounces}
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    Spoonful of olive oil

Preparation:
    Put olive oil in pan over a low heat, leave to warm until oil is smoking slightly
    Add the cheese, onion and chopped parsley to the potato
    Divide the potato mix into small round cakes (about the size of a beer coaster)
    Add the milk to the egg
    Coat the potato mix in the egg wash and cover thoroughly in flour
    Put potato cake into the oil, cook until brown on 1st side
    Turn the potato cake over and cook other side until brown

Now you have potato / griddle / boxty cakes

*Cheese and onion are optional. My Dad prefers Stilton and savoy cabbage but each to his own :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Oh it's a party school, most definitely, there's beer cans everywhere on mondays, BUT I'm taking this to a class, for a grade I can't take beer. (= And yes, please email your friend, I will take any and all recipes.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    potatoes and beer

so..whiskey?

yes

we are

All we need now is the trad music...tra la la la la :D
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Really?? Are we all tarred with that brush?

Embrace it. It defines our heritage.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Griddle cakes (great when you have a surplus of mash)

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked mashed potato
    * 1 medium white onion, chopped into small pieces
    * 1/2 cup of grated mature cheddar
    Sprig of parsley
    1 cup of plain flour, {about 8 ounces}
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    Spoonful of olive oil

Preparation:
    Put olive oil in pan over a low heat, leave to warm until oil is smoking slightly
    Add the cheese, onion and chopped parsley to the potato
    Divide the potato mix into small round cakes (about the size of a beer coaster)
    Add the milk to the egg
    Coat the potato mix in the egg wash and cover thoroughly in flour
    Put potato cake into the oil, cook until brown on 1st side
    Turn the potato cake over and cook other side until brown

Now you have potato / griddle / boxty cakes

*Cheese and onion are optional. My Dad prefers Stilton and savoy cabbage but each to his own :)

Can honestly say I've never heard of that. Irish?
  • reddevil29
    Options

We've watched so many documentaries and seen and talked to so many people who are from/currently live in Ireland and EVERYONE seems to be extremely nice (growing up in the states I can't say the same thing over here) and my fiance wants to get us work visa's so we can work and live over there. I don't think there's much of a need for my career in eating disorder based psychology but we'll see.

I wouldnt say that there wouldnt be a need. There is an increasing amount of us Irish wanting to be healthier and some to the extreme...And we always welcome something new!
  • reddevil29
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Really?? Are we all tarred with that brush?

Embrace it. It defines our heritage.

I dont mind but we are so much more than that, thats all Im saying :)
  • theaimster30
    theaimster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kaiserschmarrn/

It's called Kaiserschmarrn. It's actually Austrian, but that's close enough to Germany. It's a sweet pancake-like meal/dessert. One of my favorites. Also, Knudel or Spatzele are good choices for German food.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm Scandinavian and Russian so I don't think I can contribute, I just wanted to say I envy you for your class! I have no such classes as my majors are chemistry and statistics. :( I do get to make cool acids, however... *evil laugh*

Anyway, good luck with your graduation!! :)
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    potatoes and beer

Truly... I've only ever attended Catholic schools (even for college and Master's), and never heard anyone turn down beer or whiskey or indicate that it's somehow wrong or incompatible with Catholic belief. As an American of Irish descent, I feel no shame in the potatoes/beer connection, but I can see how it might be different for Irish nationals.

Bangers and mash, Shepherd's pie... those are British.