NSV...Who I want to be...Pics

Options
Yesterday, my husband I biked downtown to watch a friend of ours perform and to dance. It was hot and not many people were dancing. People were watching us. We are used to it now because we've been doing it for a lot of years. It used to freak me out. We used to hide in a corner somewhere while we got it figured out when we were first learning. Now we do our thing and don't really care who is watching or what they think of us. We love to dance. We can chacha, swing, rumba, night club two step, foxtrot, and a few others. We are by no means pro or even semi pro level. But we look good to people who don't know better, only because the basics we know is more than they do. We are merely ok. As we were leaving, several people came up to us to ask how we learned to dance like that and if we gave lessons (bwa ha ha ha ha! No!) We are always gracious and refer them to the studio where we learned and tell them anyone can do it. (Seriously..no one is a bigger clod than I am, but I look quite graceful on the dance floor....or concrete, wherever we many be dancing). We thanked them, then hopped on our bikes and rode away. It occurred to me as I was riding home that there was a time when I would have been sitting on the sidelines, watching that couple dance and then bike away and I would have thought they were really cool. And now we ARE that couple. This is something I never, ever would have imagined in a million years. I was huge and hated exercise of any kind. Hated to sweat. The most active I got was the occasional horseback or ATV ride. Now I bike, dance, run, hike, and take aikido, just to name a few things that I'm involved with. I've gone from a complete non mover to the Energizer Bunny in stiletto heels (ok, the heels only when I'm going out...and I didn't used to own a dress or a pair of heels either. Now I have a closet full).

I still have about 30 to 40 pounds to lose, but it's very slow going because of my Hashimoto's, but even so, I realized yesterday, I AM who I want to be. And that's cool!

Before
OhMyGoodness.jpg

After
JanetandRamieatPeak_2.jpg

Sacramento Color run with my grandkids
photo-7.jpg

On a climbing wall (Never imagined this one!)
wallsizeup.jpg

Warming up for Aikido
Aikidosizeup.jpg

Replies

• BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Ok, going back to try to fix the pictures.

Ok...now they're all tiny. Going to try again.

I give up.
  • BlisterLamb
    Options
    Great epiphany Janet.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look great. Part of success is realizing like you have that you are that person now.
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You made me tear up. I journal constantly about who I want to be and I just ACHE to be that person that I see in my mind's eye. Thank you SO, SO much for the inspiration.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I so agree with you--life is so much better when you're in the middle of it and not sitting on the sidelines. And you look fantastic BTW.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!!!!
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's a great story. Brought tears to my eyes! I also had phases of no activity in my life and it's so fun to think about the sluggish person I used to be versus the active person I am now. Thanks for sharing!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I just think its cool you're shooting a SKS.
  • BlisterLamb
    Options
    I just think its cool you're shooting a SKS.

LOL! I didn't hit a darn thing with it, but I look cool! I'm dead on with a .45, but I definitely need more work with the SKS.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    NICE! :) i love the fact that you are doing it TOGETHER, that must bring you two closer in every way in the relationship!!! i'm so happy for the both of you!
  • BlisterLamb
    Options
    He's always been my best friend and up for anything I want to do. We've been married for almost 25 years. When we were first dating and he was a 23 year old Marine, when my mom and I would go horseback riding, he would ride my brother's pony (bareback, because the pony saddle was kid sized....ouch) just to be with me. Granted, Shiloh was a good sized pony, but still! He hasn't cared too much about watching his diet, but whatever sport I get into, he goes along. We have a great time together.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!