The last 10-15 lbs....

Options
I have been struggling to lose 10-15 lbs for what seems like forever!! I'm 5'5" and have a goal weight of 130 lbs. I'm very active and do bootcamp 3-5 days per week in addition to running 4-6 days per week. What I can't seem to do is hit that 'sweet spot' for daily net calories to get the last 10lbs of fat off.

I've eaten less, eaten more, upped my protein and lowered carbs....lol Over the years have tried most fad diets, but still struggled with the last 10. Now I'm thrilled to have found MFP and my nutrition is much more balanced and is a lifestyle for me.

Would you please share what has worked for you in regard to your NET calories per day, and amount of exercise you did/do per week? Did you cycle your calories? Did you eat low carb? Did you eat any time of day, or keep it before 7pm type thing?

I know different things work for different people, but I'd really be interested in seeing which has been most effective for the majority.

Many thanks in advance!!

Replies

• twosteps
    Options
    Also been at 10lb to goal for a year now, so would love to see what tips anyone has! Best of luck Nellyett xx
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit which provides MFP with a calorie burned adjustment based on your activity level. I ate back those cals and broke through a 2 month plateau, lost 5 lbs and reached my goal weight. That's what worked for me!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Setting a Goal Weight on the scale is a recipe for frustration.

You seem to be active and healthy. You could get your body fat percentage tested, but it sounds to me like you need to rethink that goal weight. Sounds like you might be there already. Use some other measure of success, like lifting heavier weight, running faster or longer, or something less nebulous than some random number on a scale.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks twosteps....and to you too!

I use an HRM now too and always eat those calories back. Have reset my net cals to 1330. I figure if I want to be at 125-130 lbs, I should just eat like someone who is 125-130 lbs. LOL

I was at 1200, then read up on BMR / TDEE and had raised it to a TDEE deficit but hadn't had any luck with that. Now I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. What were you set at for cal/day? :)
  • nellyett
    Options
    Setting a Goal Weight on the scale is a recipe for frustration.

You seem to be active and healthy. You could get your body fat percentage tested, but it sounds to me like you need to rethink that goal weight. Sounds like you might be there already. Use some other measure of success, like lifting heavier weight, running faster or longer, or something less nebulous than some random number on a scale.

I absolutely agree! I strive to up my weights at bootcamp and to run faster or longer on each run and am motivated by these, but that last padding of fat everywhere makes me crazy!! LOL
  • twosteps
    Options
    My TDEE says I should be eating 1800 cals net, which scares the bejeezus out of me! I'm netting 1350 at the moment.
  • nellyett
    Options
    My TDEE says I should be eating 1800 cals net, which scares the bejeezus out of me! I'm netting 1350 at the moment.

I know, me too! :) I will happily move back up there for maintenance. I tried setting my TDEE at sedentary and eating back all of my exercise cals but that hadn't worked for me. Too low also doesn't work. Trying to find that magic number now. lol
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me!
    It's the last 10 to 15 I keep struggling with....We are the same height basically (I am 5'51/2"...gotta get that extra 1/2 ' ya know). I have played around with calories/marcros/ eating clean/eating what I want but staying in goals/). Just bounces all over the place. I have not had my official BF measured..and would like to do that, but based on other people our height...I know it can be achieved. My ultimate GW is 135. I am trying not to concentrate so much on that..as just staying true to the course and keep working out!

Good luck in your responses!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. I've been struggling with the last 10-15 pounds for four months now and I want to lose it. I don't want to stop weight training (some people have suggested I do cardio only for two months to get it off) and I don't want to drop my calories lower than 1500 a day, so I guess I may never lose it...

In the past, going low carb has worked well for me, but I've never gone to the extreme with it. That might be another option.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Have you had a "splurge day" in a while? I have heard of sooooo many people (including me) that have broke through a platue by eating a little higher for one day and having food that you aren't used to eating. Might be worth a try.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I agree that at this point a "scale based" goal may not be the best thing.

After losing 90 pounds I've been at the "10 pounds to go" plateau for quite a while now. I've lost 2 of those pounds and it took me nearly 2 months. I have decided that I'm really not going to stress about it anymore. I run daily, I eat right, my body fat % is down from roughly 40% to 22%.

I've decided to focus on overall fitness and not worry about what the scale says. :happy:
    If I drop that last 8 pounds, great, if not, I'm happy with where I'm at.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks twosteps....and to you too!

I use an HRM now too and always eat those calories back. Have reset my net cals to 1330. I figure if I want to be at 125-130 lbs, I should just eat like someone who is 125-130 lbs. LOL

I was at 1200, then read up on BMR / TDEE and had raised it to a TDEE deficit but hadn't had any luck with that. Now I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. What were you set at for cal/day? :)

I have always eaten at my goal weight, that's where I want to be, and I don't want to have to re-teach myself the portion sizes.
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This suggestion might be a bit radical, but it worked for me...
    Go Vegan.

......Are you still here? Good. Why not try it for just 30 days and see how you do? Can't hurt. Make sure it's whole foods and unprocessed foods.

It's easier than you would think! I've been vegan for 6 weeks and without exercise (I'm a lazy sort) have lost 7 lbs. I'm not missing the fats in meat and milk and cheese. (well, maybe cheese a little... *smile*) If you want to know more about what I'm eating and how to do it, send me a note!

Good luck with the last few pounds - you can do it!
    Cath
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat each day? I am 5'4.5 and weigh 130. I have my goals set to eat 1700. I should actually be set to 1800.

When you ate more, how many calories were you eating and for how long?
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've hit my original goal weight, but I'm not really happy here, plus I keep bumping above it a little, so I've set my goal for another 5-10 lbs. to loose. I've been working on that for way too long. Time to get serious.
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I'm working my way to 130 lb. I have 7 left to go.. I eat 1350 calories and I try and exercise 5 times a week.
    I have almost gone vegetarian but i still eat fish so that helps with my weight loss and I was doing calorie cycling to change my metabolism.
    There is lots of link and info about it on the net http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Good Luck !
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you gotten your body fat tested? Really weight is meaningless and picking a random goal may not be obtainable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=weight+goal&page=1#posts-10002223
  • nellyett
    Options
    How many calories do you eat each day? I am 5'4.5 and weigh 130. I have my goals set to eat 1700. I should actually be set to 1800.

When you ate more, how many calories were you eating and for how long?

I started off at the recommended 1200, lost 8 lbs. I wasn't really eating back my exercise cals so plateaued pretty quickly. Then I reset to about 1680 net per day. I wasn't losing but didn't gain either. I reduced them to 1430 but again, didn't lose. I found information on eating for the future you type thing and if I was 125-130 lbs my BMR would be 1331. Soooooo I've reset to 1330. LOL

I always eat back ALL of my exercise calories to net the 1330 so I'm usually eating anywhere from 1550-1800 per day about 6 days per week. I take at least one full day off for rest. So far so good, am down about 1 lb this week, but wanted to see what kind of deficit seems to be the most effective for the people who have reached their goals.

thanks to everyone for their feedback!! *not sure I'd be able to go vegan....:) I considered a paleo type style but would miss my dairy too much!!