My experience with the BodyMedia LINK Arm band

Options
First off, I am an ex-Fitbit user. After my second Fitbit had to be replaced ( apparently due to water damage from sweat). I decided to try the BodyMedia Link Armband instead. According to sources, that I read online, this device has a 90% calorie accuracy. After 3 days I have to say that I am pretty satisfied and I do not miss my FitBit. I love the feedback that is given through the charts and graphs. This information does give me a complete picture of my activity levels through out the day and my daily sleep patterns. I also read that the BodyMedia LINK learns your body and adapts, which is pretty cool. I have already noticed that it is calculating my calorie counts more accurately versus a few days ago. I loved the FitBit BUT it is a static device that seems to offer only generic estimates based on your height, weight, age and activity levels.

The LINK feature, which allows the Armband to display realtime stats via your smartphone, is pretty cool and works! Even though I wish the device could SYNC with the BodyMedia Activity Manager through this connection. Unfortunately, you have to plug the device into a internet connected computer to get the benefit of the vast information that this device outputs.

The first day I felt that the calorie estimate was a bit low. I wore it during a pretty intense HIIT session and it only showed half of the calories that my HRM did. In fact it was pretty much inline with the low estimates that I got from the FitBIt. Also it didn't seem to know the difference between "moderate" and "vigorous" activity (which is determined by METS). Even though my HR exceeded 170 for a large portion of the workout, the Body Media Armband still thought I was working out "moderately," which probably effected the number of calories burned. After doing some research I adjusted the METS threshold to consider "vigorous" anything above 4.8 METS, instead of 6+. I don't understand the whole METS thing BUT the adjustment seemed to help this morning. The armband is now more accurately identifying my "vigorous" activity.

Here are the things I DO NOT like about the Body Media Armband. Logging food sucks! Their Database is terrible PLUS i am committed to MFP. To resolve this, I just add "calorie estimates" into the BodyMedia Activity Manager and continue to log in MFP. I really wish I could link the two services, like I did with the FitBit. I would only have to add meals to the MFP and it would automatically transfer to the FitBit dashboard.

I also hate the fact that you have to pay $7 per month to use the device. It is completely unusable without paying for the service. The feedback I get from the charts and graphs are great BUT I wish it was free like Withings Health Companion and Fitbit Dashboard.

Lastly, I hate that I have to wear it on my arm all the time. People have been asking me questions and I am a bit tired of explaining it. It is annoying but I can deal with it.

I hope this helps!!!