Has anyone used this before or heard about them??

Options
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FPP7VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was watching an old Jay Cutler (Ripped to shreds) video following him 3 weeks out from the 2004 Arnold Classic and notice him wearing this mouthpiece when he was lifting.. I may be behind the times but I never seen anyone at my Golds Gym or YMCA wearing this or anyone for that matter but did some online searching last night and found it is made by Under Armour and is a bite guard that comes in a mouthpiece or a mouthguard.

It say it:

Increases Strength-with more airflow and less stress, ArmourBite improves strength by an average of 17-Percent with the ArmourBite mouthpiece and 12-Percent with the ArmourBite Mouthguard

Increases Endurance-ArmourBite opens airways. This results in up to 25-Percent less lactic acid build-up after 30 minutes of intense exercise

Speeds Up Reaction Time-Athletes respond faster when wearing ArmourBite. Clinical trials show improved response times to both auditory and visual cues

Reduces Athletic Stress-Excess cortisol causes stress and fatigue. ArmourBite decreases cortisol levels, so you perform better

Just wanted to get anyones take on this, and if they have ever used it or know someone that has.. Not saying I am running out to buy it, just find it interesting... Thanks

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Never seen one before. Can't say if it would or wouldn't work. However, one thing is certain:

You sure would look funny with that in your mouth while you're lifting.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    No clue, but awesome job on the loss.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm not a power lifter in any way.

However, I would advise against this.

Clenching your jaw and biting down is one of the worst things you can possibly do while exercising. It raises your blood pressure and gives you gawdawful post-workout headaches. Most people also hold their breath while clenching, another big no-no. If you are clenching so hard that you need a bite guard, well, you are enabling an already out of control problem.

I still have to make a conscious effort to let my lower jaw hang loose while exercising so I DON'T clench during the difficult bits.

I actually do have a custom-made bite guard, but that's for when I am sleeping. (Bruxism)
  • 126siany
    Options
    Re-reading your post, perhaps the idea of this thing is that it PROHIBITS clenching by keeping your jaws a certain distance apart? That actually does make some sense. Hmm...now I am conflicted about it!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I asked my hubby since he's an ex-bodybuilder, and has also competed in Strongman competitions. He's never heard of this either. Maybe it's new-ish?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Re-reading your post, perhaps the idea of this thing is that it PROHIBITS clenching by keeping your jaws a certain distance apart? That actually does make some sense. Hmm...now I am conflicted about it!

Yeah like I said I don't know that I would run out and buy it but the concept has some merits.. Was just wondering if some others on here might have tried this out... I am not new to this weightloss and exercise by any means but I'll be darned if I ever seen this before watching that video... I kept seeing him after each set take this mouthpiece out and kept saying to myself, what the heck does he need that for.... lol
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Oops you said he was using it in 2004--so I guess it's not that new. Hmmmm--maybe the next poster will know something!! Lol
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    "Relax everything from your Adam's Apple up."
    It takes focus in the beginning, but soon becomes second nature. No fancy mouth appliance necessary, and the dentist will thank you. My workouts are much less painful since applying this advice. Save your money.
  • 126siany
    Options

Yeah like I said I don't know that I would run out and buy it but the concept has some merits.. Was just wondering if some others on here might have tried this out... I am not new to this weightloss and exercise by any means but I'll be darned if I ever seen this before watching that video... I kept seeing him after each set take this mouthpiece out and kept saying to myself, what the heck does he need that for.... lol

Thinking about this some more....

If you are a clencher, you need to try to relax your lower jaw and train yourself to let it hang loose. I seriously look like I'm trying to catch flies when I work out. So I am back to my gut reaction!

IF you can't stop clenching, this MIGHT keep you from breaking your teeth. But it won't solve the other issues like holding your breath and raising your blood pressure.

The broken teeth are no joke. I actually have really good teeth, with fewer cavities/fillings than you can count on one hand at nearly 50. But I have broken several teeth with my bruxism (grinding teeth while sleeping). That's why I have a custom bite guard for sleeping.

And Christ, I'm nearly 50. When did THAT happen?